Just a reminder...

W

wsender

Be kind and nice on the stream. Fishing isn't worth getting in a pissing/screaming match over. If someone saddles into your drift don't start casting AT them, don't start calling them names, and start a screaming match in the hole. Everyone is there to have a nice time, to enjoy themselves, and enjoy some peace. If you do cause a scene, just be aware some local's (who are no better then you) will chase you down and push you around in the parking lot... :roll:

And to top it off, I got skunked.

That is when I dust thier nose's off with my backcast . Sorry but unlike most of the quakers on here if I feel that I have been wronged on the stream I make sure the person knows it. If you don't you are only rewarding thier behavior IMHO. :-D

wsender , what stream did this happen on and fill us in with the details , i have very little patience when i get time to fish and someone acts stupid and ruins it !

In my younger,more robust days I would make sure a spin fisherman understood that it was not nice to pretend they didn't know you were working downstream,through a run.Never had to shoot one fortunately.

Salmon River, Altmar, on the boundary of the lower fly and no special regulations.

I walk down the boat ramp the same time as this other guy. He walks maybe 80 yards up stream from me and we start fishing (for those of you haven't fished the Salmon River, 80 yards is a HUGE distance). I start walking downstream a bit, maybe ten yards closer to the bridge. Then I start walking back ten yards upstream, just canvasing a small section of stream. When I moved back to my original spot, this dude starts screaming at me for being in his drift. Saying all kind of stuff, most of it I couldn't hear. So I just waded out of the stream, shot him a glare, then moved above him. He moved down, and things were good for awhile.

I'm fishing the head of the pool, angry older dude is fishing the middle of the pool, and some guy is now fishing the tail of the pool. So I guess the old guy get pissed again. This time he tries to snag the guy down stream! Then the old guy thanks the guy down stream and starts to wade out. Well the guy down stream, and his buddies, follow him out and start to shake him down in the parking lot.

Shortly after that I waded up to the wire. I waded back down later to the other parking lot, on the north side of the river in Altmar, and the guy just drove across the river and parked there and went down to school house...

It's the Salmon river! It's filled with Russians, New Yorkers, and people from NJ what did you expect an afternoon tea party ? I am sorry that you had to see that and it sucks there are people like that out there but stuff like that happens there. Go give the sandies a try normally less people and the fish arent quite as pressured.

I don't go anywhere that people bother me when I'm fishing.

Wsender remember my story from up there? Nough said!

Everyone likes to see who has a bigger one up there, I really don't get it.

LRSABecker.............Please tell us your story too. This topic is one that really hits me hard , something like this happening on fly fishing water is almost blasphemy to me. Evil. If we can't learn somehow to get along with each other , at least tolerate , we are doomed as a species. Perform an act of random kindness next time you are out , the first thing that occurs to you , even if it's just something small like offering someone a smoke.................PEACE

I have spoken up to other anglers for crowding me and have been spoken up to by anglers thinking I'm crowding them. The difference between the two possibilities in terms of distance was at least 50 yards. Every angler has a tolerance zone. I have a zone of about 200 feet where I won't pay any attention, inside that perimeter I do a lot of silent grumbling, inside 100 feet, my grumbling may break into sound, and 25 feet will result in a decision whether to leave the area or just tell the other angler to back off. If I speak to the other angler in this way, it is always polite, but with a bite. If they become hostile and I think I am in no physical danger, I will leave after telling them how rude they are. If I feel I am in danger, I will just leave. I don't like danger.

Every angler has a tolerance zone.

Agreed, with an addition. I can't describe a hard and fast tolerance zone because its different on each waterway, based on the expectation of the water.

On smaller, totally uncrowded waters where I'm clearly moving in one direction, my "annoyed" zone may approach half a mile ahead of me, and my "say something" zone might measure in the hundreds of yards. At Erie, even way upstream after walking a good distance, the "annoyed" zone would be the hole I am in and the "say something" zone would be casting distance. Most places are somewhere in between, probably around where Jack puts it.

pcray1231 wrote:
Every angler has a tolerance zone.

Agreed, with an addition. I can't describe a hard and fast tolerance zone because its different on each waterway, based on the expectation of the water.

On smaller, totally uncrowded waters where I'm clearly moving in one direction, my "annoyed" zone may approach half a mile ahead of me, and my "say something" zone might measure in the hundreds of yards. At Erie, even way upstream after walking a good distance, the "annoyed" zone would be the hole I am in and the "say something" zone would be casting distance. Most places are somewhere in between, probably around where Jack puts it.

I've been on the LL early on a Sunday spring morning with guys 50 feet apart and not feel pressed. I've been on streams where there was only one other person but they plunked down 200 feet ahead and fished into "my space". With me it can not just depend on the stream but the mood of the instance. If I'm heading to a stream that is crowded I usually get into a mental state to expect it and have more tolerance. If I'm on a remote brookie stream and expecting solitude I have less tolerance for someone within eyesight.

wsender wrote:

Everyone is there to have a nice time, to enjoy themselves, and enjoy some peace.

Most. Not all.

But look on the bright side. Now you've got a good fishing story to tell.

Here ya go Osprey.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15912&forum=2

I went fishing on the Conewago with my uncle a couple years ago near it's headwaters to a favorite spot of his. We fished a little while each catching trout in a quiet isolated area.

At some point I looked up and saw an overweight dirty sweatpants wearin' couple unfold two old lawn chairs not more than 20 feet from my uncle at the waters edge facing him on the opposite bank.

They then proceeded to toss a bait bucket in the water with a splash and toss half ounce sinkers and bait directly in the exact spot he was fishing in a stream not more than 20 feet across. They had old beat up spin gear with what appeared to be old tangled 15 lb. mono.

Being in the next hole, I could actually see a few spooked trout dart around above me. Usually this would cause me to be quite angry but somehow seeing my uncle lose it just after having bait tossed at him caused me to laugh. He cursed at them and said some stuff he probably learned in the Navy and did a dance in the hole before getting out and pissing on a tree nearby, then proceeded to toss a few rocks in the hole and stomped down stream past me. I found him a half mile down stream still pissed off a half hour later. He continued to give colorful and foul descriptions of the account.

Edit: My uncle is a spin guy but not that kind of spin guy.

Was up at 20 Mile a few weeks ago and doing well... hooked 3 in about 45 minutes. The guy upstream from me kept inching closer and closer to the point where I couldn't flip my fly upstream for my next drift without hitting him (which I was tempted to do). So I stopped fishing... turned upstream and just stared at him... he looked at me and shrugged. He was either rude, retarded, or both... This is my first season fishing for steelies and I am enjoying most of it but this made me want to throw down my gear and drop the gloves.

These are the moments that I get reminded how much I love fishing for "trash" fish in waters that most people don't care about or know about because I can wade miles of water and I am actually shocked when I come across another angler let alone a fly fisherman. I don't consider myself to be an elitist but I would never in a million years bust in on another persons stretch of water because they were doing well and I wasn't. Funny part was, the dude was old enough to know better....

As I was reading wsender's post, I thought hmmm this sounds like the Lower FZ in Altmar....I fish the Lower FZ (or the Petting Zoo as the locals call it) frequently when I'm up there and finding a spot is always an issue. Most of the time it's ok and you can become friends with people, exchange flies etc but other times its tough.....especially with the foreigners....sorry guys.

I have never seen any physical altercations and wouldn't want any....especially with some of the russians I've seen that are shooting straight vodka at lunchtime.

Back