Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Juggling two hobbies?

From South central PA
Just wondering how some of you guys juggle your time with multiple hobbies. I've always loved fly fishing but just started playing ice hockey and love it too. Just seems with time and money hard to decide which to focus on, just wondering how some of you manage your multiple hobbies and such.

Posted on: 3/7 11:59

Re: Juggling two hobbies?

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Fishing has slowly killed my golf game, which at one point was pretty good. The problem basically solved itself.

Posted on: 3/7 12:10

From South East PA
FF and ham radio. No problems!! Thanks for asken!!
Sean

Posted on: 3/7 12:15

Bicycling, fishing, and gardening: Try to bike to work 13 miles each way as often as possible, then I can fish when I get home...except gardening and mowing often cut into that plan. If I rig up a bike for transport of gear, I can ride to and from my fishing location.

Posted on: 3/7 12:23

From down the block from the Letort.
No juggling here, I just do what I'm in the mood for nowadays, variety is the spice of life.. If I wanna go for a bike ride, I go for a bike ride, if I wanna fish, I go fishin'. If I wanna tie flies, I sit down and tie and if I wanna make some noise for the neighbors, I tune up the fiddle and start sawing away.

I have more trouble getting my chores done than anything else...hobbies are rarely an issue.

Posted on: 3/7 12:48

Flyfishing and diesel motorsports (sledpulling and drag racing). Two very expensive hobbies. I bowhunt as well.

I agree with tomitrout on the hobby management, I do what I feel like doing.

I concentrated on bowhunting for years like it was a job, sure I put book buck on the wall, but with that I also took some enjoyment out of it.

Posted on: 3/7 12:53
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From SCPA
Second tomitrout, Do what I feel like doing-golf or fishing when warm. Except for hunting season and then it is game on.

Posted on: 3/7 13:04

From Ligonier
+1 for Swattie. I used to get so mad when playing poorly at golf. Now when fishing, getting skunked is not a problem at all. Hell, catching too many fish can be a nuisance! Go figure!!!

Posted on: 3/7 13:15

From Dauphin PA
The spring is tough for me. I have fishing (all the big hatches), golf and soccer. I try to make all of them work but soccer will go by the wayside in the next 2-3 yrs. The knees can't tke the beating much longer. During the hotter months I can do more golfing except for the fact I hate the heat. Years ago I had it under a handicap of 2 but now I just drink beer, chop and try to have fun.

Posted on: 3/7 13:36

From NE OH
Once my family came along…I didn't have time for multiple hobbies. Is what it is. Responsibility to my 4 ladies ALWAYS comes 1st. I love fishing and had to drop my life long passion of wrestling. Wish I was still competing and coaching, but I won't sacrifice my family for my hobbies. No man should!

Posted on: 3/7 13:40

From Perkasie PA
DJing and music production suck up alot of time, as do the kids.

Posted on: 3/7 13:48

From Portage, PA
turkey hunting, fly tying, fly fishing, grouse hunting, archery hunting, bear hunting, being a dad, going back to school

pretty much just go with the flow when you got that much going on. I will say that fly fishing really has taken a back seat to turkey hunting in the spring and grousing after Christmas. Adding a kid to the mix will make your hobby time get cut even more.

Posted on: 3/7 14:05

From South Central,PA
Music. I play in 3 bands and do solo acoustic guitar music. It's was a hobby but once I figured out I could make money at it, it's become a second job. I usually play out twice a week. Music used to be my outlet to unwind but I have a schedule to keep, rehearsal, practice, recording, advertising...so fly fishing is my new outlet. I still enjoy music very much and couldn't live without it, but there is something about fly fishing that truly helps me relax and escape the daily grind for a while. The problem I find is that my day job, my music and fly fishing all seem to hit a peak in the spring. oh yeah and mowing the lawn. Yard work has become the most aggravating outdoor activity since I started fly fishing!

Posted on: 3/7 14:22

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
there will always be fish around. I also played hockey and it can get in the way but you are good once summer comes.

Posted on: 3/7 14:39

From Lancaster Co.
I play a lot of golf in addition to a decent amount of fishing. Unfortunately I haven't done either since late December. The golf increases as the weather gets hot. I manage to get in enough of both to satisfy me. I don't have young children and my wife has her share of activities so the time away isn't really an issue. Work gets in the way too often.

Posted on: 3/7 15:02

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com