Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS


Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users



« 1 2 (3) 4 »


Re: John Gierach on Fly fishing in PA

Joined:
2011/5/6 21:48
From Baltimore
Posts: 69
Offline
If there's one person I've never met that I'd want to go on a fishing trip with, it'd be Gierach.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 5:26


Re: John Gierach on Fly fishing in PA

Joined:
2011/5/11 22:23
From Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 92
Offline
Quote:

steve98 wrote:
John Gierach does not know anymore about fly fishing in Pennsylvania Colorado Australia Alaska Canada than YOU or ME
He is trying to sell books You and I Know just as much if not more especially when it comes to fishing in PA
Steve98



Theres always one LOL

Posted on: 2013/3/24 7:00
_________________
"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process."

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."



Re: John Gierach on Fly fishing in PA

Joined:
2011/5/11 22:23
From Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 92
Offline
Quote:

IloveBrookies wrote:
If there's one person I've never met that I'd want to go on a fishing trip with, it'd be Gierach.





I have to agree right there!! Ive read most of his books, and they all are entertaining and make you just wanna drop everything and go to the stream!!!

Posted on: 2013/3/24 7:02
_________________
"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process."

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."



Re: John Gierach on Fly fishing in PA

Joined:
2006/9/9 11:22
From New Castle, PA
Posts: 1695
Offline
Quote:

Flyfishmedic732 wrote:
Quote:

steve98 wrote:
John Gierach does not know anymore about fly fishing in Pennsylvania Colorado Australia Alaska Canada than YOU or ME
He is trying to sell books You and I Know just as much if not more especially when it comes to fishing in PA
Steve98



Theres always one LOL


Steve98 does have a point. Lots of guys can talk the talk. Gierach is good at writing about fly fishing topics, no doubt about that. But to use that as a basis to automatically assume anything else is an underestimation of ouselves, individually and collectively.

What I'm trying to say is that he's just a dude who fly fishes and can write about it very well. Just because he is a "famous" fisherman does not mean he is exceptionally good at fly fishing in this case.

The only reason that I replied to this is because it kinf of strikes a nerve. I really can't believe how often I see people put "famous" fisherman up on a pedestal and blindly follow and repeat their advice or adopt their way of thinking. We should all be critical of the information we recieve, think for ourselves, and come to our own conclusions.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 7:34


Re: John Gierach on Fly fishing in PA

Joined:
2006/9/9 10:36
From Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 750
Offline
Quote:

PennKev wrote:

Steve98 does have a point. Lots of guys can talk the talk. Gierach is good at writing about fly fishing topics, no doubt about that. But to use that as a basis to automatically assume anything else is an underestimation of ouselves, individually and collectively.

What I'm trying to say is that he's just a dude who fly fishes and can write about it very well. Just because he is a "famous" fisherman does not mean he is exceptionally good at fly fishing in this case.

The only reason that I replied to this is because it kinf of strikes a nerve. I really can't believe how often I see people put "famous" fisherman up on a pedestal and blindly follow and repeat their advice or adopt their way of thinking. We should all be critical of the information we recieve, think for ourselves, and come to our own conclusions.


No, he doesn't.

No one that replied to this thread put Gierach's fishing up on a pedestal or said they want to mimic his fishing (well, at least not that I saw, I didn't go back and re-read it). Instead, people went out of their way to say they read him for his entertaining writing and not for instruction.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 7:44
_________________
Winners and official selections: Hatch Magazine 2014 Photo Contest
http://www.hatchmag.com/photo/2014-fl ... ing-photo-contest-winners


Re: John Gierach on Fly fishing in PA

Joined:
2008/1/21 19:15
From Pittsburgh
Posts: 2758
Offline
He regularly states in his writing that he is not an expert. He disputes that fact when people say he's an expert because he writes about it.

Sounds like he has enough years and experience to say he is qualified to write about it, but until I get to fish with him in person and observe his skill set, I'll refrain from EITHER condeming or immortalizing.

I certainly do enjoy his books, though!!!

Posted on: 2013/3/24 8:01


Re: John Gierach on Fly fishing in PA

Joined:
2012/1/13 15:28
From Ferguson Twp.
Posts: 2631
Offline
Quote:

jeremymcon wrote:
I've been reading books by John Gierach a lot recently. He's a fly fisher and writer currently living in Colorado, and in his book "At the Grave of an Unknown Fisherman" he had a chapter on a trip he took to central PA! I felt like he really got a pretty accurate understanding of PA during his trip.


I have four of his books and have read three of them. It just so happens At the grave is the one I have not read. I'm in Spring creeks by mike Heck and dry fly code. When I'm done with those, at the grave is next.I don't read many ffing stories, very few but I think he's a fine writer.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 8:07
_________________
There is a need to fish, to be in the water. It soothes the soul...


Re: John Gierach on Fly fishing in PA

Joined:
2010/2/18 8:57
From SW PA
Posts: 754
Offline

Quote:
In the spirit of March Madness; E. Hemmingway v. J. Gierach = J. Gierach.


Man I don't know... Maybe a buzzer beater. I'm a fan of Hemmingway. When I walk into the gorge on the little J, I always remember "Big Two Hearted River".

Posted on: 2013/3/24 8:07
_________________
Hatches come and go of their own accord, but work will wait for you to get back.


Re: John Gierach on Fly fishing in PA

Joined:
2006/9/9 11:22
From New Castle, PA
Posts: 1695
Offline
Quote:

greenlander wrote:
No, he doesn't.



Yeah he does. Lol


Quote:

No one that replied to this thread put Gierach's fishing up on a pedestal or said they want to mimic his fishing (well, at least not that I saw, I didn't go back and re-read it). Instead, people went out of their way to say they read him for his entertaining writing and not for instruction.


Steves point may not fit in well with the rest of the thread, but that does not make it invalid and I happen to agree with it. Gierach is a good writer. But just because he writes about a place or experience, it does not make him expert.

Also, my reply was in regard to fly fishing ltierature and the general attitude anglers have toward the authors. It was not limited, nor was it directed at Gierach.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 8:36


Re: John Gierach on Fly fishing in PA

Joined:
2006/9/9 10:36
From Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 750
Offline
Quote:

PennKev wrote:

Steves point may not fit in well with the rest of the thread, but that does not make it invalid and I happen to agree with it. Gierach is a good writer. But just because he writes about a place or experience, it does not make him expert.



Fair enough, but lots of statements have a point if you make context irrelevant.

My point was that he was refuting something that no one had claimed, an additionally something that I've never heard anyone claim. No one reads Gierach to learn how to fish.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 9:36
_________________
Winners and official selections: Hatch Magazine 2014 Photo Contest
http://www.hatchmag.com/photo/2014-fl ... ing-photo-contest-winners


Re: John Gierach on Fly fishing in PA

Joined:
2011/7/6 15:59
From OH
Posts: 171
Offline
Yes, by a buzzer beater. I can easily relate to Gierach and enjoy his writing style. Hemmingway was a good writer. A man's writer. Never humbled by a river.

March Madness round 2; Gierach v. N. Maclean = N.Maclean. Had he not been an "outdoor " writer, Maclean would have recieved greater praise and recognition. He would have acknowleged, a fish could be more then a fish and fisherman more then a fisherman.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 15:29


Re: John Gierach on Fly fishing in PA

Joined:
2006/11/2 8:50
Posts: 6452
Offline
Comparisons are odious.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 15:44


Re: John Gierach on Fly fishing in PA

Joined:
2012/8/24 16:03
From Philly
Posts: 152
Offline
I love JG's books. They're entertaining, and his mannerisms remind me of so many different people that I've fished with ... I also see his books as another way that I can go "fishing" when I can't go fishing, like reading this forum, talking on the phone with friends and relatives or tying flies.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 20:03


Re: John Gierach on Fly fishing in PA

Joined:
2009/4/11 18:51
From State College
Posts: 1132
Offline
Gierach has the dead pan humor that I enjoy.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 21:23
_________________
"If fish had the exact same flavor and alcohol content of PBR, I'd likely be packin' a stringer and old can of night crawlers down to the river"-Hank


Re: John Gierach on Fly fishing in PA

Joined:
2006/9/11 11:30
Posts: 596
Offline
I don't mind Gierach writing about PA. He is certainly entitled to his opinions based on trips to PA even if he isn't (and doesn't claim to be) an expert. Sometimes it is fun to read an outsiders view of your home turf.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 9:26



« 1 2 (3) 4 »



You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]





Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls





Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com