Jam

• Thread starter streamer-stripper
  • Start date
S

streamer-stripper

I know Jams are a big deal on here. I was just curious what the draw is for the people that attend them.

For me, I can't even get trips in with lifelong friends and family.

streamer-stripper wrote:
I know Jams are a big deal on here. I was just curious what the draw is for the people that attend them.

For me, I can't even get trips in with lifelong friends and family.

Same thing that is a draw for this site. Hanging out with a group of people who share a common interest. Throw in a few days of fishing and some smoked meat product and it's a sure fire winner.

Boyer

I can't speak for anyone else, but I want to attend a jam to learn. I haven't been to one yet, and I've only been on the boards for a little bit, but I've already learned quite a bit, have had many folks PM me w/ tips, spots, invitations to fish with them, its a great community. I figure if I've learned this much from folks online, how much more can I learn in person?

streamer-stripper wrote:

I go for the chicks.

How's that workin' out for you, Gary?

I have a very positive attitude.

I go to fish with new people, to reconnect with those i've fished with before, and to escape from the stressors of life.

oh...and for the chicks as well. Particularly in Hancock.

The annual Jamboree began several years before I joined the board. Initially, I think it was about discovering this internet sensation known as social networking, which in its infantile stages, before "chat" was even a concept, was the "Bulletin Board." Someone thougt it would be fun to invite some of his "internet friends" to a wedding he was having on Penn's Creek. The opportunity for people to meet others they only knew in "type" worked out positively and a few friendships were born.

The matter has mushroomed from there as has board membership and participation.

Your point is well-taken, though: if free time is limited and fishing in solitude is more important to you than making a few new acquantences, then a Jamboree is likely to seem like a waste of that precious time. For me, it became a way of reminding me that the people I associate with on-line are real and also reminding me to get out and spend some time with friends, rather than always wandering around the stream alone.

I have never regreted attending any gathering organized from this board.

What isn't there to like?

A bunch of guys with a common interest getting together to drink beer, swap stories, test cast a bunch of rods, teach each other tactics, listen to Shaky play his guitar, and yes, occasionally get out to fish. It does change the way you view the characters on this board. When you get to know them personally, even just a bit, you can better put their internet posts into context.

A friend of mine and I have made an extended FF trip each spring for a number of years now, taking several days to a week of vacation to travel around the state. For the last 2, we combined it with the jam. Go up Friday, spend Friday and Saturday with socializing coming first and fishing second, and then starting on Sunday fishing becomes the focus....

GFEN,
This is a buddy of mine who's name is Chick..... Let me know if you are interested...:)

Attachments

• Bear.jpg
    Bear.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 2
The hair on that dude's back kinda looks like gfen's face.

A match made in heaven. :lol:

Speaking of jams, where is White Clay? I'm considering Stocktober Fest this year. Never been to a jam, but I'm off that weekend.

WalnutKing wrote:
GFEN,
This is a buddy of mine who's name is Chick..... Let me know if you are interested...:)

Not into dudes in the skinny jeans, sorry. Way too emo for me.

Never able to make the Pa. jams but the ones I attended had gourmet cooking,fine wines and evenings in pickup bars.[no~not the trucks]so I am pro jam .

Jams are worth the trip. The comraderie is the main draw,imo. GG

Not a lot of fly fisherman where I live so I thought it would be interesting to meet up with some. I went by myself and knew no one there, but it didn't seem to matter as most everyone was socially receptive to me. I did learn that people are more apt to speak their mind on the forum then in person and that everyone generally gets along, which as an outsider looking into the forum you might not think. I also really enjoy meeting people with different perspectives, and nothing changes perspective like geographic location, so I had fun and will do it again.

gfen wrote:
streamer-stripper wrote:

I go for the chicks.

Notice that Big G never attends......tells you sumthin'

I too would be interested in attending a Jam. Most the guys here seem like top notch fisherman. I feel like I am a one man wolfpack.....

Notice that Big G never attends......tells you sumthin'
for the same reason he won't go catch something bigger than the minners in his crick.Momma won't let him cross the street,alone.

pete41 wrote:
cross the street,alone.

I'm never leaving the house again, you saw what happened when I got brave this year...

Back