Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: It's snake time!

From Philadelphia PA
I would venture to say our encounters this year with the rattler will be quite a bite higher than the last couple of years or so. We have the Cicaddies (unsure of spelling) population that will increase the mice population and up the food chain. We all need to tread lightly when in the bush.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 8:16
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Bethlehem, PA
I grew up in snake country in central and north central PA. All kinds of 'em, rattlesnakes and copperheads included. I learned to fish and hunt with my dad and spent many, many hours in the woods and on streams with him. The one thing he pounded into my head was to always, ALWAYS watch where you put your hands and feet. That has served me quite well over the years. While I've not encountered a whole lot of rattlesnakes and copperheads, the ones I have seen in the woods or on a stream were ones I saw far enough in advance to avoid precisely because I'm scrupulous in following dad's dictum.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 10:10

The fisherman: He ariseth early in the morning and awaketh the entire household. He arriveth home late at night, smelling of strong drink and the truth is not in him.

From barto PA
^ Amen to that. I was also always taught to watch where you step. Never saw many in the wild though. Had a banner day maybe a decade ago at lehigh gorge on the glen onoko falls trail. We had cut off the trail and bushwacked up the cliff band on the opposite side of the creek. Stumbled on 3 seperate dens of rattlers and almost stepped on a copperhead on our way back down. By almost I mean he made a false strike as I stepped toward him and missed my foot by about 18 inches.

Saying these encounters will heighten your senses for the day would be a large understatement IMO. I think I was on edge and had snakes on the brain for weeks afterward ha.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 11:26

From Berks County
I almost stepped on a Rattler along Slate Run about 10 years ago. I have been very cautious ever since that happened. I definitely think once you have an encounter with one it will increase your awareness of them. I never saw one since, at least that I know of.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 11:33

Quote:

PASKIINGSUCKS wrote:
^ Amen to that. I was also always taught to watch where you step. Never saw many in the wild though. Had a banner day maybe a decade ago at lehigh gorge on the glen onoko falls trail. We had cut off the trail and bushwacked up the cliff band on the opposite side of the creek. Stumbled on 3 seperate dens of rattlers and almost stepped on a copperhead on our way back down. By almost I mean he made a false strike as I stepped toward him and missed my foot by about 18 inches.

Saying these encounters will heighten your senses for the day would be a large understatement IMO. I think I was on edge and had snakes on the brain for weeks afterward ha.

I often feel like Indiana Jones when Im in the Gorge, those boulder fields are holding many hibernaculums the whole way up to FEW. Im not going to let ticks and snakes stop me from going out though, they will have to take me out to stop me.

The Gorge trail would be a good place to put out venomous snake reporting cards, or even just have a website put up for reporting sightings. The walking trail sees thousands of people a year, and we could all collect valuable data.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 18:16

Keep in mind right after shedding their rattle is so soft you can barely hear it.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 19:42

From Monessen, PA
Welcome back, pete.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 19:57

From SEPA
Peter.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 20:27

From Eastern PA
Pete sighting >>>>> any snake sighting.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 20:31

From Chester County
Quote:

pete41 wrote:
Keep in mind right after shedding their rattle is so soft you can barely hear it.

Did your rattle turn soft? Is that why you haven't been on here?

Welcome back.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 6:56

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com