It's crazy deer season

Chaz

Chaz

It's crazy deer season, I've seen a bunch of beautiful bucks the last 2 evenings, just standing on the side of or in the roads around home. Be careful driving after dark.

I saw my first buck last evening around 8:30. Looked like maybe a 4-point only.

Last week my wife and I made a 24 hr round trip to pittsburgh from York and saw about a dozen dead deer on the turnpike. Thats not counting the blood stains where they were cleaned up already. Many were rack or spike bucks.

I crashed into a rack buck this time last year driving the company F350 while on the phone with the owner. When it came into the headlights while going 55 it was two late to do anything. Left a little hair on the headlight, no damage to vehicle.

Passenger says "watch it" I swerve left, smack. Over the phone I saw "oh shiz, I just smacked a buck" Boss says over the phone, go back and get the antlers. We went back to where I thought it occurred and couldn't find it. As we walked the road edge I thought what the hell am I doing...I couldn't care less about these antlers. Worked all day, I am going home.

Next morning on way to work we slow rolled past the spot and there it was 10ft off the road, a 6 pt. Big deer, small rack.

also a good reminder for those who fish in areas with hunters to bring some sort of orange with you. Saw a guy the other day who had a piece of orange cloth just tied to his pack. I wear a reversible hat that's orange on on side and silver on the other. Can always switch it if I want.

Also a good reminder that talking on the phone while driving is a bad idea. No accusations, but reflexes may have been more prepared for the situation if the brain was not multitasking. Just sayin'.

I just had a buck jump out in front of me this evening at dusk. Luck for me I was not driving very fast and he was about 10 feet in front of me. I never saw him till he jumped in the road.

Yea there was a pretty mangled deer on the road in front of my apartment yesterday. It was trying to get up, but its legs were pretty messed up. We called the local police to come and take care of it - figured it'd be good to put the thing out of its misery, and I don't own a gun. Not sure it'd be legal anyway... If I had put it down I may have gotten in trouble for poaching a deer or something once the police got there!

I came as close as I want to come to tagging a 4-point buck tonight. I was coming back from a stream after dark and I saw a deer standing by the road. There was a barb wire fence in the direction he wanted to go and I figured he would jump it. However, instinct told me to slow down just in cast, and the just in case paid off. He turned around, and walked across the road. I was still moving and came to a complete stop, about two inches from his rear. I am definitely seeing more deer on the move, with the rut and hunting pressure.

A couple of cars ahead of us...boom! Guy nailed 10 pt on 83 south this morning near yocumtown ramp. Had 2 fighting in the woods behind my house 3-4 days ago. The boys are "girl crazy" right now.

In suburban Philly near Blue Bell/Plymouth Meeting, the deer encounters are growing exponentially as the road work that's cutting down a lot of the woods near Rt. 202 is forcing deer into people's back yards and local roadways. It's gotten so frequent that last year I bought my folks a trail camera to keep tabs on the various groups that show up over the course of a night (and eat my mom's flowers):

Deerintheyard2.jpg

Deerintheyard3.jpg

Deerintheyard4.jpg

Deerintheyard.jpg

I spooked a deer on the yough today. It was bedded down near the water and I was working down the bank. It must have panicked when it saw me and ran directly into the river. It took a couple of steps, was swept down stream in a riffle, and ended up down stream about 20 yards before it regained its footing and climbed back out.

That was a first.

I have seen more "Bucks" this year than any other I can remember. And some nice ones too. There is this huge 8pt that crosses in the field next to my house almost daily. He walks around like he owns the place. My 9 year old daughter watches for Mr Bucky almost every night!

It's the season.
Was fishing the Susquehanna Flats,last week and saw deer all day ,by the waters edge.

I hooked a schoolie striper near shore around 3Pm and all the splashing ticked off a buck on shore and it started to walk into the water!!
Too much tetesterone I guess:)

Yup, got to watch a nice 8-pt buck in the woods behind the house, strutting around, head down, clearly saying "oooh, look at me, this rack is so HEAVY i can barely keep my head up - that;s how sexy I am...."

2 dead found yesterday right near the house, the birds were already circling.

Bucks are crazy at this time of year.

We were driving home last week and had a ten pointer run in front of us and the car trying to pass. Jumped onto the road 10 yards in front of us. No time to try and avoid him if he turned back as they sometimes do.

I did the 700 mile round trip to Boston this weekend, saw about 30 I guess, mostly bucks but not all.

I always think what a waste but I guess it feeds something.

If youve got kids show them NJ's Deer Cam - my wife was fascinated for months.

There's a nice 8 pointer in the woods where I mountain bike. Seen him several times now. He's the size of a small horse. Towers over all of the other deer in there.

Back