Is this the year of the brown trout in Erie?

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

We've talked about it for a few years now. This is year 3 after the big number of fish were stocked. I know everyone has been anticipating the potential run of brown trout this year. Here's a bit of hope that the browns are holding their own.

*Warning* I do not condone the origin of this information, enter at your own risk!

http://forums.fishusa.com/monstr_brown_caught/m_424351/tm.htm

Good Lord! The level of grammar on our site is outstanding compared to that place!

She's a beaut, the fish ain't half bad either.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Good Lord! The level of grammar on our site is outstanding compared to that place!

I warned you!

I hooked about a 4-5lb brown last year in Walnut. The goal is to have a 10:1 ratio of steelhead to browns come into the Erie, Pa watershed. If that's the case then I'll be ecstatic!

I used catch em up on the niagra back in the 80's. They were a blast and very beautiful fish too. I saw 1 last year and it was a*s hooked by a guy @ 20 mile. I hope to hook 1 this yr. but I'm not holding my breath.

there were a few in walnut at the jam last year...

Gary, I think I found a new forum for you to harass and get LOLZ

Is this the year of the brown trout in Erie?

Let's hope so!
I saw one off the seawall in Walnut last year and I think there was a good one in a deep run in Twenty Mile that I couldn't get to eat.
This should be the year that they become noticeably more numerous.

At first thought one would think no way, then I remember that stocking. There were quite a few 15-20 inchers put in as well for that stocking and that could easily be one.
I belive this to be the year to see a run of some substance as well.

The Cattaraugus has some nice lake run browns.

The ones I caught were like hooking a railroad tie. They really hugged bottom where most steelhead will make a run.

Not too hard to guess which you connected with.

Brings back some good memories.

Shock

I'm hoping this is the year of the brown as well. I've caught one brown in the tribs - a spindly, spawned out 14" brown at the Elk Creek road bridge on Elk Creek. Ironically enough, the most beautiful brown that I've seen from Elk Creek came from about 100 yards downstream from there and was 25"+. Frustrating to fish over a small run, and not have a hit and move on and the next guy picks up (but deep hooks) this gorgeous brown..

thats just ridiculous, your allowed to be either good looking or good at catching fish...not both! unfortunately I have been condemned to neither.

I caught a 19 inch football shaped brown on 20 mile several years ago. I'm hoping this is the year of the brown and I get shot at a few in the mid to high 20s this year!

I saw some fat browns being hooked on the lake shore last year. Not 30" but getting close. I landed only one last year...not huge, but a lake runner so it was decent...big kype. Also, it smelled bad.

I have already seen a few mixed in with the steelhead on the east side. The biggest was low to mid 20s. I was throwing spoons at the mouth of 20 mile in the evenings before that monster was caught. Guess I wasn't good enough looking for that fish. ;-)

Thanks for the first hand report inefishent. I had my doubts for a bit in that actually being a fish from PA (note the source of the post). Nice blog also. You should join us at the Steelhead JAM this year. Check out the thread on the general forum. Should be another good time.

Yeah I wasn't at the creek when it was caught but ran into some guy the next day who told me about it while I was fishing 20 and said the picture was at the local fly shop. That was before I even saw the post on fishusa's forum. I did read about the Jam as well, I would be interested in attending but I will have to see what my work schedule looks like. I will be fishing some of new yorks tribs for a few days till the 4th of nov I believe.

It should be very interesting. I have caught a number of browns over the years on Elk, Walnut and some of the mile streams. Not big numbers but always catch 2-3 a year. I am really hoping the browns really work out. While I really welcome the browns, I hope our fishery doesn't turn into a 18 mile creek situation. Hopefully they will flourish and get spread out. It is nice to catch a brown or too to break up catching 100 steelhead a day!

fishing report from "another site"

Spent the day checking out the mile streams. 16 and 20 have several fish available but not enough for the amount of fisherman around. It wouldn't be bad but what is it with guys having to wade in and spook the fish. Don't they realize the fish are fresh and very spooky. Worked my way thru the mile streams picking up several fish throughout the day. Seven mile was the best producer by far. Managed many hookups and landed about half of them. The real kicker for the day was the 27 inch, 11 pound brownie I caught at the stream mouth on a yellow colored Joe's Fly spinner.

Yeah, I think there's no way a 27" fish is 11lbs. I'd guess more towards the 6-8lb range. Either way that's a nice fish and these reports seem to be more prevalent.

Has anyone seen any fish around hertzal pond area......just wondered with the last rain if any got up through the falls by the iron bridge on 20 mile......I was there last friday and caught three on an undercut bank below route 5 but then broke my rod before I could get up there.

Back