Is this a tiger trout?

Mountainbrookie

Mountainbrookie

I caught this uniquely colored brown (?) today on a black ghost streamer. I catch quite a few browns in this stream that also have the tiger stripe/ worm markings. Just looking for some clarification as it's definitely not your typical brown.

Attachments

• tiger.jpg
    tiger.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 13
id say nope, pretty fish though eye.

Thats a brown but the markings are cool

I really didn't think it was a tiger myself but I figured I'd ask. Still looking to cross that one off my list. lol

thats real close to a tiger cool fish

Looks like one to me. Check this link.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/TigerTrout3.jpg

Yep, that's a tiger. I've come across two types of tigers, ones that favor the brown trout and ones that favor the brookie. Yours clearly favors the brown.

Here's one that definately favors a brookie.

And here's one that favors a brown.

Attachments

• Tiger Cropped.jpg
    Tiger Cropped.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Tiger Cropped 2.jpg
    Tiger Cropped 2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 3
Id disagree, your tiger that favors the brown has a much more obvious tiger pattern of vermiculations on its side then his does.

Tough call. I'd give 3-2 odds that it was, but I certainly wouldn't bet my life on it.

A tiger whether in th wild or hatchery will have the fins of a brook trout, if not then its a plain old brown . There are several species of brown, the most common is the german brown, the others are from scotland, ireland, etc.

That sure looks like a brown trout to me. It does have unique markings though. Even if it was a tiger, it would be a stocker because wild tigers don't get that big in Pa.

sandfly wrote:
A tiger whether in th wild or hatchery will have the fins of a brook trout, if not then its a plain old brown . There are several species of brown, the most common is the german brown, the others are from scotland, ireland, etc.

Look again at the pelvic fins on the fish in picture (the fins under the pinky). They're one of the reasons I think it could be a tiger.

Then look at the tiger in the picture (which clearly is a tiger) on this link:

Tiger from Gunpowder Falls

You'll notice that the pectorals are not particularly brookie like.

There is only one species of brown trout, Salmo trutta. There are some subspecies (sea trout, Caspian salmon, marbled trout, etc, none of which are in this country.) The Loch Levan strain (whence most of the trout here) and the "German" strains are the same subspecies, although markings do vary somewhat depending on the ancestral region. (Much as there's only one species of dog -- certainly there's a lot of variation possible.)

Brown trout
http://www.alladale.com/images/body_content/wildlife/brown_trout.jpg
Brook trout
http://www.adambarkerphotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/big-hole-brook-trout.jpg
Tiger trout
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/TigerTrout3.jpg

The brown trout has all spots.
The brook trout has spots on the bottom half with the top half having squiggly or wormlike markings from head to tail.
The tiger trout has all squiggly or wormlike markings from head to tail.

redietz wrote:

Their not,??? gunpowder river fish is orange on black, on white is a brookie color.

CAUGHT AND RELEASED SOME 5-10 TIGERS OVER THE LAST 3 YEARS, THAT IS NOT A TIGER.

sandfly wrote:
redietz wrote:

Their not,??? gunpowder river fish is orange on black, on white is a brookie color.

I agree with what you're saying, but not what you're seeing. On the GP fish, I can see no black on either the pectoral or pelvic fins; the anal fin clearly has the black.

On the picture above, I think (and I'll be the first to admit I'm not sure) I see a black ray on the pelvic fin between the orange and white, near his finger and fading as it goes back. I've blown the picture up as far as my computer will let me, and I still can't decide.

The point of the GP fish was that not every fin needs the obvious black ray.

(I'll also add the more I stare at the picture, the more I'm thinking brown.)

Mountainbrookie wrote:
I caught this uniquely colored brown (?) today on a black ghost streamer. I catch quite a few browns in this stream that also have the tiger stripe/ worm markings. Just looking for some clarification as it's definitely not your typical brown.

I wrote to the PFBC and asked them about this trout. Got the reply back today. They said it is a tiger trout. So that should make it offical.
Here is the reply.

Yes, you are correct. It is a tiger trout.

Spring

Spring Reilly | Central Region Outreach and Education Coordinator

PA Fish and Boat Commission | Bureau of Policy, Planning, and Communications

450 Robinson Lane | Bellefonte PA 16823

live2fish wrote:
Mountainbrookie wrote:

I wrote to the PFBC and asked them about this trout. Got the reply back today. They said it is a tiger trout. So that should make it offical.
Here is the reply.

Yes, you are correct. It is a tiger trout.

Spring

Spring Reilly | Central Region Outreach and Education Coordinator

PA Fish and Boat Commission | Bureau of Policy, Planning, and Communications

450 Robinson Lane | Bellefonte PA 16823

Hhmm...
This is quite surprising. With due respect to Ms Reilly, I think she's mistaken. If and until Mike chimes in and supports the claim that it's a tiger.... I'm sticking with brown trout.

Back