Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Is this a Wild Brown? Is there a definite way to tell?

From Jim Thorpe
Picture

I caught his Brownie last night and I'm curious if it is wild or not. Also, I noticed that his spots are larger than other brownies I've caught. Is that a product of genetics, diet, environment or a combination of these factors?

Posted on: 7/16 16:50

Re: Is this a Wild Brown? Is there a definite way to tell?

From Chester County
Looks like it could go either way. Knowing the stream would help greatly (if your willing to disclose it).

Right now, without knowing the stream, I'm leaning towards holdover, but only slightly.

Posted on: 7/16 16:56

From Ephrata, PA
There's no definite way to tell apart from cuttin' it up and seeing what color the meat is!

A few indicators I look for though would be conditions of fins (hard to tell from your picture, though the tail looks a little beat up), spot density, and the blue/black orb behind the eye. I also look for splashes of red on the fins. Given that the fins look a little beat and the density of the spots, I'd think this is a nicely colored stocky. Were the spots less dense, I'd be wondering too. It has a nice buttery color, that's for sure, and it clearly has the orb behind the eye. It is certainly one of the nicer "stockies" I have seen. I don't know where you caught it (and I don't need to know), but my guess is it may have come from a private club stocking rather than from the state.

Posted on: 7/16 17:00

From Clinton County, Pa.
Either wild or stocked it's a nice fish.

Posted on: 7/16 17:02

From South Lebanon Township, PA
That's a heck of an adipose fin! Agree with the above, this fish has characteristics of both a stockie and wild fish. No way to be certain. I'll go 55/45 stocked on appearance alone. Location will trump all.

Spot pattern and size is mostly genetics. Color tone is habitat and diet.

Posted on: 7/16 17:16

From SCPA
Stocked. 50% sure.

Posted on: 7/16 17:20

From NE OH
Based on seeing a ton of fish in Ohio that are stocked as fingerlings and then grow-up and naturalize, it looks like a holdover stocked fish. Most hold overs will start getting some red in the adipose fin and development of the blue/gray spot behind the eye. But again, who knows? Nice fish that appears to have been in the stream for a while.

Posted on: 7/16 17:24

From Granville
Where is the picture of the fish we are supposed to analyze? lol. Maybe I'm dumber than the rest.

Posted on: 7/16 17:31

From Jim Thorpe
Quote:

jifigz wrote:
Where is the picture of the fish we are supposed to analyze? lol. Maybe I'm dumber than the rest.

There's a link at the top of my post. I can never attach my images because the file size is too big so I link to an image hosting website.

Sasquatch, it is very possible this is a club stocked fish. The waterway is lightly stocked but is known to have a wild trout population as well.

Posted on: 7/16 17:39

From SCPA
Click on the word "picture". (Edit:Beat me to it!)

From Granville
I found the picture...I'm leaning towards nice looking stocked brown.

From Jim Thorpe
Just realized I posted a version of the picture I was messing around with to try to take the light reflection off the fish's midsection.

This is the original photo.

Posted on: 7/16 18:05

From Christiana, Delaware
It could be either way. I'm leaning towards stocked.

Posted on: 7/16 20:23

Edited by Aducker on 2014/7/16 21:07:40

From Gettysburg
Quote:

Murph wrote:
I'm curious if it is wild or not. Also, I noticed that his spots are larger than other brownies I've caught. Is that a product of genetics, diet, environment or a combination of these factors?

Tough call. I'd guess stocked (if so, it's a real beauty).
This fish has two of the indicators that usually imply a wild brown: red color on the adipose and a blue spot behind the eye. However, on this guy, both of these characteristics are somewhat faint. The fins tend to suggest a stocked fish. The spot size and pattern is likely a function of genetics.
To be honest, I don't think the spot size is that unusual on this fella. What is more unusual is the dense spotting covering the entire caudal fin (tail). Many browns have spots on their tails but usually not covering the entire surface like this. Very neat fish regardless.

Posted on: 7/16 21:53

From Jim Thorpe
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
[quote]

Tough call. I'd guess stocked (if so, it's a real beauty).
This fish has two of the indicators that usually imply a wild brown: red color on the adipose and a blue spot behind the eye. However, on this guy, both of these characteristics are somewhat faint. The fins tend to suggest a stocked fish. The spot size and pattern is likely a function of genetics.
To be honest, I don't think the spot size is that unusual on this fella. What is more unusual is the dense spotting covering the entire caudal fin (tail). Many browns have spots on their tails but usually not covering the entire surface like this. Very neat fish regardless.

Do hatcheries still clip the adipose fin? I did a quick google search before asking this question here but I found a lot of conflicting information. One source said that many hatcheries remove the adipose fin so if that bit is still attached there is a higher chance of the trout being wild. I don't know if that statement has any merit, but if nothing else it's another question it would be nice to have answered.

I'm happy to have caught this fish no matter where it came from and I'm even happier to say he's still swimming around out there.

Posted on: 7/16 22:44

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com