Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Is this a Wild Brown? Is there a definite way to tell?

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Murph,

It is stocked. It was put in by the club. Smaller hatcheries seem to raise nicer fish as their raceways are not as overcrowded.

Posted on: 7/16 23:06

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From New Castle, PA
There is no indication that this fish is stocked other than you questioning it's origin. I'm confident that the only reason some are saying that it is stocked is because you have planted the seed of doubt by raising the question.

If you said you caught this fish in Penns or Spring no one would call it out as a stocked fish.

Posted on: 7/17 5:12

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I too will go against the grain. I'm not at all sure about it, it is a tweener. But to me genetically it appears stocked, while the markers all say wild. Given only the pic, I'd lean wild.

It has a blue eye spot, red (not orange) spots on the side, and red on the adipose. None of these are definitive wild/stocked markers, there is no such thing, but they are the general rule, and it has the trifecta.

Is there fingerling stocking in the watershed? That could splain it. And Becker certainly plants the seed of doubt in my mind, as I'm sure he's seen the fish that club puts in.

If it is stocked as a an adult, I'm interested in the biology that leads to the blue eye spot? I've seen wild fish without it. But I haven't seen too many stocked fish with it. I understood it to be a diet thing at a very young age. As for the red spots and adipose, I have seen that on stockies. It comes from carotin in the diet (crayfish, shrimp, scuds), but does indicate the fish has been either in the stream a long time, or purposely fed a diet to color it up.

Posted on: 7/17 8:38

From LV
I caught a fish on Friday that looked exactly like that, except it was a little over 20 inches, but your fish and mine looks like stocked fish. I base that on the fins being somewhat ragged. The colors just don't look quite right.

Posted on: 7/17 9:40

From LV
Quote:

Murph wrote:
[quote]

Do hatcheries still clip the adipose fin? I did a quick google search before asking this question here but I found a lot of conflicting information. One source said that many hatcheries remove the adipose fin so if that bit is still attached there is a higher chance of the trout being wild. I don't know if that statement has any merit, but if nothing else it's another question it would be nice to have answered.

I'm happy to have caught this fish no matter where it came from and I'm even happier to say he's still swimming around out there.

Generally no they don't, unless PFBC is doing a survey and want to be able to distinguish them instantly as is the case with the LJ fingerlings a few years back.

Posted on: 7/17 9:45

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com