Is the Tully fishable?

Nate540

Nate540

Just a quick question for any of you that life near the Tully. Wanted to go up there this weekend and was curious if it was fishable or froze up. Where I am everything is iced over but was thinking since it was a tail water it might be open. Its about an hr drive so just wasn't looking to go for a long drive to look at some ice. :-D

Thanks guys
Nathan

Thanks with the temp we have the next couple of days it will be fine then!

Thanks
Nathan

So not sure if anyone will know but any suggestions of something different for me to tie up tonight for tomorrow?

Anyone going up there tomorrow? Would love to meet some new fishers.

At 1500 the cfs below the dam was 350 and at the Red Bridges 400. Water temps is in the high 30s. Tomorrow probably will not be a good day to fish the Tully.

It's fishable, but in the conditions described above you will want to fish the bait area so you can use a minnow rig with about 8 split shot to keep it down, but moving/spinning like a spinner. Forgot to mention the ball bearing swivel.

Mike wrote:
It's fishable, but in the conditions described above you will want to fish the bait area so you can use a minnow rig with about 8 split shot to keep it down, but moving/spinning like a spinner. Forgot to mention the ball bearing swivel.

:-o

Attachments

• Rigged up.jpg
    Rigged up.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 2
The difference between one who fly-fishes and one who is a fly-fisher is.... a flyfisher fly fishes.

If one gives up on flyfishing when conditions are high, low, cold, warm, windy, off-color.....how would one ever learn to fly-fish when it's high, low, cold, warm, windy, off-color...

I started with a spin rod as a kid, but picked up on fly-fishing and fly tying early on. I spin fished and carried a fly rod as a back up. After a while I fly fished and kept my spin rod handy as a backup. Before too many years passed, I no longer carried any spinning tackle and a second fly rod was my back up.

It wasn't until I began to fly fish under all conditions when I started putting things together as a flyfisher.

Graduating from The School of Hard Knocks is both a humbling and rewarding experience.

There's no shame in getting skunked....hopefully you learned something that can be used next time out, or when you find similar conditions on some future trip.

No one evers learns it all, or even most of it....but it's the trying and the small victories that help one move forward that are most rewarding; for me anyway.

at 350 fish the normally flat shallow water up near the plant and where those horshoes are in the river at Red Bridge park.

I advocate for fishing, not a particular type of fishing. I especially encourage angler's to use whatever legal technique is the best for catching fish or among the best for the conditions (environment and fish behavior) that exist at the time. Depending upon the specifics of the situation at the time I even point out the pitfalls. With that info in hand it is up to the angler to choose how to fish. For a person in my position it is best to assume that an angler asking about a particular fishery desires to catch fish.

A flow of 350 cfs is a lot of water for the Tully. I think if you are a good nymph, or maybe I should say subsurface fisher, and are willing to put on a bunch of BB's or a couple #3/0 split shot and ply the depths with egg flies, squirmy wormies and/or some conventional nymphs you might find some action. Fish deep and slow and if you aren't getting snagged once in awhile you aren't deep enough.

Mike wrote:
I advocate for fishing, not a particular type of fishing.... For a person in my position it is best to assume that an angler asking about a particular fishery desires to catch fish.

Except on a fly fishing message board, you might just as reasonably assume they desire to fly fish.

Mike wrote:
I advocate for fishing, not a particular type of fishing.... For a person in my position it is best to assume that an angler asking about a particular fishery desires to catch fish.

Jack M responds:
Except on a fly fishing message board, you might just as reasonably assume they desire to fly fish.

I agree with Jack ^........guys visit here to read and write about FFing.

Sometimes I have to shake my head and roll my eyes when I listen to people talking a FFing as if it's some lame, offbeat and ineffective way to catch fish. FFing is effective, or at the very least fun, under a lot of stream conditions.

In this case, the Tully at 350cfs and cold temps, one can go out there, flyfish and catch plenty of trout....or maybe not, but still have a great day on the water. Deep nymphing in the soft water margins of the stream would be my first choice as a plan of attack for fishing the Tully. I would continue to change up locations, flies and rigs to find fish.

Anyway, good luck out there.

You constantly need to be in touch with the streamflow data when planning on fishing the Tully as it changes so rapidly. It's rippin' this morning at over 850. Not wadable in my book. Be careful out there, very dangerous to risk taking a dunk.

The Tully went over 1000cfs on Saturday so no fishing for me.

Tully is still at 400cfs. Hopefully it comes down a bit for friday. I was planning on making a road trip.

Back