HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Is it me?

From Philadelphia
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:

You think your experience was bad - just ask da Fox about his experience there.

I'm not sure my experience was worse or not but it definitely helped me decide that the LL is not a weekend stream for me, at least not in the Heritage section anyway. I'm just glad DD wasn't there, I think he would have been a tad less restrained than I was.

Essentially what I've come to realize is that there is virtually no etiquette on the LL. Most guys couldn't spell it and even less could define it. Unfortunately another favorite LV limestoner not far from the LL is becming the same way.

Thank God for remote brookie streams. At least the wild creatures out there give you a wide berth, well at least most of them, right Jeff?.

Posted on: 4/7 8:12

Edited by Foxgap239 on 2014/4/7 8:28:47
Edited by Foxgap239 on 2014/4/7 8:38:04

From Cato, NY
I agree with the others who said you were crowing him. However, to treat a trout that way was very disrespectful. I would advise to not fish directly across from someone. Solitude on some of these streams is damn near impossible and people are edgy this time of year so your best bet is to walk and fish away from people as best you can.

Posted on: 4/7 9:12

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
I'm just glad DD wasn't there, I think he would have been a tad less restrained than I was.

Restrained? Is that what you call that?

I thought you were gonna throw that guy in.

This is what you looked like:

Attach file:

jpg  angry-fox.jpg (25.03 KB)
72_5342a70983520.jpg 250X190 px

Posted on: 4/7 9:25

From Other side of the tracks
Stag, that was me.

Next time give me some distance.

OK, I lied. It wasn't me. I don't usually fish "special" waters.

Would I be annoyed? Probably.

But I'm also annoyed that this kind of thing never happens to me.

The guy was a dick, but it likely didn't hurt the fish.

Posted on: 4/7 9:41

From PA and NH
" show him I'm packing" wow brilliant. Let's get into a gun fight.

Posted on: 4/7 9:55

From Lansdale
Stags,
I couldn't tell from your post if you were actually fishing where the other guy was, or if you were just walking up.
If you were actually fishing across from him, you were at fault.
If you were just talking to him, without looking like you were even getting ready to cast, he was an ass.
I ran into the same thing on Saturday. I told the guy who walked up 15 feet upstream and got ready to cast into the run I was working that I'm was new at this and wasn't very good at casting and that the wind wasn't going to help. I guess he believed me when he heard my line zipping by him. He left.

Posted on: 4/7 10:09

Every time I encounter another fisherman I ask which direction they are heading. Now on a crowded stream that may not be very helpful. I'd chalk it up to the guy being a tool and that you wouldn't have a beer with him anyway.

Posted on: 4/7 10:20

From Chester County
One of the main reasons why I enjoy fishing is it gives me a chance to get away from "it all"....even if it's for just a couple of hours.

"It all" is the hustle and bustle of traffic jams and people cutting you off on the road. The "beat the clock" and "follow the rules" and "make your numbers" thing at work. The cacophony EM's, IM's, VM's beeping, ringing and popping up on your phone and computer. Not to mention the "honey do" list waiting for you to tackle at home.

I really don't mind sharing the stream with other anglers, but when a day on the water becomes more of an aggravation than a pleasure, than it's time to find a less traveled, less fished place.

Catching a few fish in peaceful surroundings is much better than catching a whole bunch of fish in the combat zone, at least for me, anyway.

Don't get mad....get moving. There are plenty of decent places to fish that aren't that crowded. It's up to you to get out there and find them.

Posted on: 4/7 10:20

From Monessen, PA
Clearly his actions were a bad reaction to his feelings that you were encroaching on his space. Maybe you were, maybe you weren't, it is hard to tell from your description.

I have gotten snotty with people who have encroached on my space, but never took it out on a trout.

A lesson learned: always keep your distance when practical, or inquire first whether your proximity is encroaching on his effort at quiet enjoyment of a particular space.

Posted on: 4/7 10:29

From LV
Why I don't go to the LL, there's always a bunch of jack saa there
and strange stuff going on. I look for the places above and below the FF section, because I've seen so much crap go on over the years, that I can't take it anymore.
That being said, it isn't much better in the open water. I don't know what the guys motivation was, but it was poor behavior.

Posted on: 4/7 11:00

From Lancaster Co.
Quote:

blueheron wrote:

Yeah, that response seems to have been lost in the debate on whether or not Stagger was crowding the guy that tossed the fish. I cringed when I read it. Talk about a dangerous over reaction.

Posted on: 4/7 11:26

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

McSneek wrote:
Quote:

blueheron wrote:

Yeah, that response seems to have been lost....

And should have remained so. Too late.

Posted on: 4/7 11:37

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
Chaz wrote:

I don't know what the guys motivation was, but it was poor behavior.

And Chaz summed it up in one sentence.

I really don’t think I was crowding him but etiquette could be in the eye of the fisher. I haven't had any issues with anyone in the 2 yrs I've fished .... and I fish popular spots within 60 miles of Philly. That said, I’m far from perfect and/or maybe he did perceive me as crowding (per mcwill I was not directly across from him) .….. still a schmuck move chucking a fish especially in a manner that Albert Ringling would be proud.

Quote:
FI wrote:

Stagger,
From what you've described...it definitely wasn't you.
The guy was a jerk. (And perhaps not sober.)

Never thought about the drinking angle but I should’ve. Could’ve made a wise-ass comment to get his blood boiling …. maybe he would’ve tried to cross down stream to come after me and gone for a ‘swim’.

Quote:
HA wrote:

Next time you go there, gimme a call, and I'll hook you up.....

Yea today I was out of my ‘element’ as I went outside Heritage section and down. 17 miles is a lot and will take u up on that.

Quote:
FDave wrote:

Stag, that was me.

Should’ve realized it by his smell and pissed off look on his face .... didn't realize u left us to chuck bait????

Quote:

KeithS wrote:

Stags,
I couldn't tell from your post if you were actually fishing where the other guy was, or if you were just walking up.
If you were actually fishing across from him, you were at fault.
If you were just talking to him, without looking like you were even getting ready to cast, he was an ass.

Keith ..
- Not directly across … I’m gonna guess abt 30 yrds down + the width (wide part of the stream)
- Even if I was at fault take it out on me
- I was fishing but was there for a short while b4 he did what he did.
- Anyway I agree with .... he was an ass in his reaction

Posted on: 4/7 12:00

From Lansdale
30 yards downstream is a whole flyline length. you should have been in the clear.

Posted on: 4/7 12:10

From Philadelphia PA
He could have tossed the fish on the bank behind him and said, "he's all yours". So the bright side is - the trout went back in the water to live another day. The only difference is sore mouth and sore side.

Get over it.

Posted on: 4/7 12:11
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com