Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Is This A Normal Spring?

From York
Just checked some of my fishing notes from last year. On 3/13/12 in York County the little black stoneflies were in full swing, the water temperatures were in the mid 50s and my Okume Cherry Tree was in full bloom. Now last year was exceptionally warm early. But if heard the weatherman correctly the other night I think he said air temps were going to be about 10 degrees below normal this week. I haven't been fishing lately but I'm sure the water temps are in the 40s here. And my cherry tree ain't even close to blooming. So to me this spring is close to what I consider "normal".

Posted on: 2013/3/18 13:00

Re: Is This A Normal Spring?

From Lewisberry, PA
the cold really seems to be hanging on this year. i have some daffodils coming up in my yard and thats the only green out there.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 14:43

From King Of Prussia, Pa
It's not even spring yet.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 15:00

From Gamehendge
What's normal? Look at last year. In a few months everyone will be complaining its to hot out. You live in Pennsylvania, deal with it.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 15:03

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

Phish_On wrote:
What's normal? Look at last year. In a few months everyone will be complaining its to hot out. You live in Pennsylvania, deal with it.

Exactly.

FWIW, I think we're pretty "normal" so far. Decent amount of precip, crummy temps, lots of mud. Yeah, it's March in PA.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 15:09

From Bucks County
Last year at this time I was worried about low steam levels.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 15:21

From Lititz/Huntingdon
There was only a few real cold days this winter to start with. This time a year a few days can make all the difference in the world. There has been more years than I can remember fishing in snow squalls the 1st Saturday of trout opener.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 15:36

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

From State College
Yeah, it seems to be pretty normal

Posted on: 2013/3/18 15:44

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
For my backyard, per Accuweather, my February and March compared to average. The faint lines are the average high and low. The noisy lines are the actual highs and lows.

Temperature wise, looks pretty normal to me. I know our snowfall is well below normal here, but I think precip is somewhere around average. For us, all the precip events coincided with the warm spells and we got a more rain, less snow than average. I know it fell as snow in other parts of the state.

Attach file:

jpg  February.JPG (17.73 KB)
1353_51476f8bae2da.jpg 783X394 px

jpg  March.JPG (10.52 KB)
1353_51476f90a7ffe.jpg 453X394 px

Posted on: 2013/3/18 15:48

From LV
March is a fickle Month sometimes spring comes early such as last year, other time it comes around the 20th, and like this year Phil was wrong about an early spring. Spring will come, the stone flies are hatching, but may have temporarily stopped, and sunny days will warm things up.
I was hoping to go to camp sometime in March, but it is still snowed in and not worth the effort considering how crappy the weathers been.Temps are below normal our rainfall in the LV is below normal, but not so bad as to be an issue if we get some rain from this storm that's baring down on us right now.
I'm betting that by opening day conditions will improve.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 16:37

From Perkasie PA
I think it's slightly cooler than last year and the hatches have been thinner. (I remember awesome hatches at the end of Feb last year) but I've been having a blast with Pickerel every weekend at the local lake. They seem to be way more active they last year.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 16:52

From New Cumberland
I had stoneflys crawling up my leg on a local stream 2 weeks ago. Too damn cold and damp now to venture out. Gotta love this global warming.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 16:59

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
I don't think it normal. Water should be around mid to upper 40's in most large rivers in my area. That being said in not un normal. The last two winters and springs were very warm. It's weather so no one can change it but it will get warmer soon. It's still mid march. April is when it really changes. One of the keys to get river temps up is first air temp but what is more important is rain. The past few storm have been producing snow. Once we get a 50 degree day that has rain the water will jump right up.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 17:57

From Bucks County
From the meteorological community, March has been a real head scratcher. If you look beyond a single point in reviewing the averages, the North East (PA NJ north) has been below average so far for March. In fact the last March to average colder so far was 1996. The blocking in the overall pattern which is creating these below normal temps for the NE has support all the way into early April. Also more snow chances over the next 10 days for the interior. So it doesn’t look like things are going to change on a dime anytime soon. The only thing we have going for us is the longer days, and higher sun angle each day. By mid-April we should see things turning closer to normal.

So all that aside, this Spring is going to work out dramatically different than last year, (which was well above normal) How the affects hatches is yet to be determined.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 11:40

next week in the poconos is a mixed bag. the temperatures will cooler than the averages for this time of year, but there isn't a lot of rain in the forecast. I'd take that over average temps and several days of rain.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 11:46

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com