Interesting Outing

zenherper

zenherper

Today I decided to visit a little stream I haven't been to since last summer. In my experience, I found this to be a difficult stream to do well on. That is, it doesn't usually give up a large number of fish, even though it has a ton. I tend to spook 10 times more than I catch, but I can usually manage to catch a handful of brookies. I had heard that there were a few stray brown in there, but I had never caught one. What I experienced today really surprised me. In a stretch of about 200 yards on this small stream, I caught brookies, a brown, and a bunch of wild bows. In fact, on three consecutive fish. I caught a brown, brookie, and a bow, within about 5 minutes. Some of you will recognize the stream from the picture. Have any of you ever experienced such a diversity in such a small stretch of stream? This is not a stocked stream.

Attachments

• 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 6b.jpg
    6b.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 5b.jpg
    5b.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 3b.jpg
    3b.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1
Zen,
Thanx for the report ,and congrats on your success, gotta love any stream that can hold all three species in their youngster form.The Great Spirit was smiling down on you today.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Well,since you asked -
On the fourth of July 1970 i caught a brown,brook,grayling and rainbow in four consecutive casts behind a rock in the upper big hole.Long since forgotten the order but never forget four different species in four casts.Only two were trout.Only about foot long though.

pete41 wrote:
Well,since you asked -
On the fourth of July 1970...
That made the whole post right there for me :) I still had another month in-utero to go.

PatrickC wrote:
pete41 wrote:
Well,since you asked -
On the fourth of July 1970...
That made the whole post right there for me :) I still had another month in-utero to go.

I still had another year and a half... haha

Thanks guys. It was definitely an interesting day.

meant to be lighthearted-I was 29 then.lol

Very cool Zen. Those are three gorgeous fish and a pretty neat find. Congrats.

Nice post! There aren't many streams in PA where you can do that. Congrats!

Very cool. Have fished the stream many times. Have caught browns and brookies, never bows. Though it doesn't shock me, there is a good wild rainbow stream nearby, and that one has everything they need.

Yes, I have experienced that kind of diversity in a small stream, but its rare, and not in that one.

I've never caught a bigger brown there, though I've seen em. Brooks seem to dominate my catch. And like you, I never do "well" there, a few here and there, spook more than I catch.

Good to hear that stream is doing well. I haven't fished it in a few years but heard from Mike K. that there some siltation issues and that the fish population was way down. There's also a run of Gizzard Shad there that is really cool to see.

Holy cow, Pete, you can remember stuff from when you were 29? For me, that's so long ago that I don't know if I was ever as young as 29.

Back