Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS


Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users



« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »


Re: Inconveinient Truth

Joined:
2006/9/14 10:34
From Southeast PA
Posts: 521
Offline
Perhaps the most telling of the organizations listed is the American Chemical Society, which is the major association of chemical manufacturers, not a science organization, per se. The FCCSP commissioned by the Bush admin. is also interesting.

Thanks for the links. Although there can be some issues with Wikipedia since, as I understand it, the information is basically provided and edited by anyone who wants to contribute (and this certainly could be fodder for the "deniers") it's a good source and can provide links to other sources.

Posted on: 2007/3/7 10:52
_________________
"It ain't the meat, it's the motion"


Re: Inconveinient Truth

Joined:
2006/12/13 9:28
From Other side of the tracks
Posts: 18226
Offline
Will, I agree that the subject is too big to cover at length. I think we also have the same opinion on global warming. That is the important thing. I also respect your opinion (more than most). All I was saying is one should always know the opposition. Hold your friends close, hold your enemies even closer (or something like that).

As far as the link goes ... Of course it is a "source of global warming "skeptic" information." "Axe to grind???" Maybe. Even if it is true, so what? Where else are you going to find other ideas on the subject, CNN?? I don't think so. Say, you aren’t in favor of book burning, are you?

It seems that nearly every time someone disagrees with mainstream, they are attacked either personally or they are accused of having an agenda or they have an axe to grind. Often it is true, but sometimes it is not. One problem is that statements like that are often used because the person making them doesn’t have an answer for the argument. To me it smells of frustration, but we all do it. I know what you are saying and I agree. We need to consider the source. But consider the source of the info as well, not just of the guy who owns the site. You could be throwing the baby out with the bath water!!!

Oh yea, what Wulff-Man said.

Posted on: 2007/3/7 11:09


Re: Inconveinient Truth

Joined:
2006/12/13 9:28
From Other side of the tracks
Posts: 18226
Offline
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
I usually pass over threads on fly fishing websites that deal with off topic political issues. However it is downright refreshing to be able to read these well crafted, intelligent posts that address a sensitive political issue without resorting to name calling, profanity and wholesale intolerance for other views.


Who asked you Fishidiot!!!

Posted on: 2007/3/7 11:15


Re: Inconveinient Truth

Joined:
2006/10/2 12:29
Posts: 27
Offline
Bottom line is that we could go back in-forth all day giving examples of supporters of both sides, and there ARE ample supporters on both sides of the issue. Is Global Warming real and caused by man? Who knows for sure, neither myself nor anyone on this forum can say for SURE. Most of us learn from the media outlets that we watch or read on a daily basis and its left up to us to decide whether we believe the info or not. It just smart business to get ALL the facts on a topic, not just the one put out there by people/organizations that may OR may not be on the straight and narrow. I am sure all of us just by the mere fact that we are fisherman believe in conservation, so whether we practice it to keep the fishing good or to "save the Earth" as long as it’s getting done, in the end what’s the difference?

...and just to reitorate...I am not a Global Warming denier, I just dont believe that the science/facts are strong enough yet to make bold statements like "its a fact" or "its not a fact"...

Posted on: 2007/3/7 11:41


Re: Inconveinient Truth

Joined:
2006/9/10 21:53
From Greensburg, PA
Posts: 13623
Offline
Quote:

Wulff-Man wrote:

Well I guess it's time to come clean and admit that I drive a Prius. I feel like I'm at a "Prius Annonymous" meeting. It's odd, but I feel like when most people hear that they think you're some kind of far left wing enviro-whacko nut job.


Whats wrong with that!!!! As long as you aren't vandalizing things and causing harm to others, I don't think theres anything wrong with doing everything you can to help the environment. Maybe because I am a left wing, liberal, enviro-whacko. But I wouldn't chain my self to a tree, ram a whaling boat head on or throw blood on people wearing fur. I don't want your guns. Your religion is your business, not mine. And i think a woman has a right to choose what she does with her body, not me.

But being a liberal and caring about the environment, and being leery about saying so on a board that is about fishing and the outdoors is part of the very problem. The papers and their editorial sections want to label everything black and white. Why can't you feel a certain way about issues that are traditionally either conservative or liberal. That term "conservative" doesn't even have anything to do with conservation and don't let anyone tell you different. You can fight for the 4th amendment and still fight for clean air. You can believe or not believe in god and still think a strong military is a good thing. You can think the government has too much say in how we live our lives and believe that corporations should be held responsible for the damage they do to our environment.

Being embarrassed about saying I bought a car that will save me money and use less fuel and thereby create less pollution is just stupid. Frankly when they make one that will hold 6 people and their things for a week long vacation and actually lowers gas mileage considerably, i'll run out and buy one.

OK, i feel better. Man, I hope the weather gets better soon...

Posted on: 2007/3/7 12:36


Re: Inconveinient Truth

Joined:
2006/9/9 19:37
From aliquippa
Posts: 618
Offline
the april issue of flyrod&reel has a very good article on ethanol, ...how much energy it takes to produce and the by product of it

Posted on: 2007/3/7 15:08
_________________
just when i think i have the key to success, someone changes the lock


Re: Inconveinient Truth

Joined:
2006/9/14 10:34
From Southeast PA
Posts: 521
Offline
Tomgamber, I was exaggerating quite a bit about being sensitive for owning a Prius. When you say "Being embarrassed about saying I bought a car that will save me money and use less fuel and thereby create less pollution is just stupid" it strikes a chord because I have many times had to chuckle and shake my head when I hear the derogatory "those so-and-so Prius-driving so-and-so's.........." comments, for just the reasons that you stated. I also understand that nobody wants to be preached to about their decision or preference to drive a big car or truck. You just have to approach the subject with some tact.

Posted on: 2007/3/7 19:02
_________________
"It ain't the meat, it's the motion"


Re: Inconveinient Truth

Joined:
2006/9/9 0:19
From philadelphia
Posts: 169
Offline
Global warming is BS!!!

The Earth has been able to survive for over 4billion years
90% of that time without the existance of man.
It takes care of itself.
And won't let something as isignificant as man ruin its existance.

Steve98

Posted on: 2007/3/7 20:04


Re: Inconveinient Truth
Moderator
Joined:
2006/9/13 12:42
From Altoona, PA
Posts: 2259
Offline
Quote:

steve98 wrote:
Global warming is BS!!!

The Earth has been able to survive for over 4billion years
90% of that time without the existance of man.
It takes care of itself.
And won't let something as isignificant as man ruin its existance.

Steve98


99% of species that have existed on Earth are now extinct, and the Earth is just fine.

We aren't worried about the Earth. We're worried about us.

Posted on: 2007/3/7 20:57
_________________
Padraic
Never challenge a cat to a staring contest


Re: Inconveinient Truth

Joined:
2006/10/31 18:23
From Mansfield, PA now, Bozeman next year
Posts: 92
Offline
1. Al Gore is an idiot with no friends.
2. Global Warming is happening but we'll most likely see a rise in temps of about 5 degrees over the next hundred years. trout won't disapear and the world won't end. Hopefully though PA will one day have ocean front property.
3. This week was the coldest ever in March. Can't remember the time that it was -2 in March. Also its been quiet a long time since streams have been quite so frozen over as this year.

Posted on: 2007/3/7 21:40
_________________
Don't talk about fisheries topics if you know nothing about them


Re: Inconveinient Truth

Joined:
2006/9/9 20:09
From Harrisburg
Posts: 2183
Offline
Dear Flat Earthers,

We have doubled our population in less than 50 years. I'm talking about the whole Earth not just the only country on the Planet that matters, ie. the US of A.

Just imagine how bad things will be 25 years from now when the Earth's population doubles again? It's logarithmic,
as the population doubles the time it takes to double again gets halved.

Just sayin'.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2007/3/7 21:53


Re: Inconveinient Truth

Joined:
2006/9/10 21:53
From Greensburg, PA
Posts: 13623
Offline
Quote:

SlumpBuster wrote:
1. Al Gore is an idiot with no friends.


Idiot or not, if he didn't have lots of friends, we wouldn't have to see and hear him all the time.

Quote:

2. Global Warming is happening but we'll most likely see a rise in temps of about 5 degrees over the next hundred years. trout won't disapear and the world won't end.


Its not the air temp its the ocean temp see my first post

Quote:
Hopefully though PA will one day have ocean front property.


Just a stupid statement

Quote:

3. This week was the coldest ever in March. Can't remember the time that it was -2 in March. Also its been quiet a long time since streams have been quite so frozen over as this year.


You're right that's pretty extreme. Extreme weather Hmmm... Caused by what? Again see earlier post.

And you're right again...the earth was just fine for millions of years before we got here...but now we're here and its not fine.

Posted on: 2007/3/7 22:35


Re: Inconveinient Truth

Joined:
2007/3/2 23:51
From Scranton, Pa
Posts: 17
Offline
Is it really Inconveinient? I think it is only inconveinient for those that choose believe that we are the cause and still our own government sees no reason to implement any form of restriction to subdue or reverse the effects of it even though that would create an enormous economic possibility.

I am not sure about this. Obviously man has created alot of issues on Earth. I am not so sure all of the things we are seeing are directly related to Global Warming.

Not saying global warming is not real and not denying the effect it has on our environment. We need not have to sit through 2 hours of Al Gore-effied global warming to see that. It just seems to me that the winter seems to be moving a bit to the left of where it normally is these past few years like we are cashing in our winter for fall and our spring for winter as if our seasons are shifting.

What if in the year 2012 on the day of Dec 21st the Earth drops below the galactic equator and as a result the axis shifts due to gravity from the black hole at the center of the galaxy pulling from a different direction. And what we are experiencing is a direct result of this event that hasn't happened for 25 to 30 million years.
I think the Mayans knew this, just take a look at their calender.

We have been burning witches at the stake for 1000's of years. I know global warming exists but I still do not believe a guy that claims to have invented the internet. <<<-- joke!

Posted on: 2007/3/7 23:58


Re: Inconveinient Truth

Joined:
2006/9/13 22:36
From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Posts: 5478
Offline
put duct tape on all the polititions mouths and no more global warming.......

Posted on: 2007/3/8 8:19
_________________
sandfly

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop




Re: Inconveinient Truth

Joined:
2006/9/14 10:34
From Southeast PA
Posts: 521
Offline
Quote:

SlumpBuster wrote:
1. Al Gore is an idiot with no friends.
2. Global Warming is happening but we'll most likely see a rise in temps of about 5 degrees over the next hundred years. trout won't disapear and the world won't end. Hopefully though PA will one day have ocean front property.
3. This week was the coldest ever in March. Can't remember the time that it was -2 in March. Also its been quiet a long time since streams have been quite so frozen over as this year.

Whew, I feel much better now. That's a load off my mind! Thanks a lot!

Posted on: 2007/3/8 8:47



« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »



You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]





Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment





Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com