Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Improved Regs = Crowded Streams?
From Chester County
Regarding forgetting or losing your fishing license, I've heard it told that some people buy their license on-line and print out several extra licenses. Some people actually keep a license in their wallet, on their bass fishing vest, on their trout fishing vest, on their hat, in their glove compartment……Since you are not allowed to copy, and only one license is valid THIS IS ILLEGAL AND SHOULD NEVER BE DONE!

Posted on: 2006/11/8 8:54

From Dallastown, PA
All right Tom, whats yer angle? Do you get a cut of the profit when we have to pay five bucks to get a new license when lost? I mean come on...we have to display it on our body in plain sight to make it easy to ID. I can buy that but that also makes it quite inconvenient to manage unless you always wear yer favorite fishin hat...or vest or only fish for one species. If ya don't it's a giant Pain in the Arse.

Maryland doesn't require you to display it...so I keep it in my wallet. Same goes for New York. And they are in a database so all you need to do is show them your drivers license if you lose it. and they can check it out.

I mean, PA F&BC is antiquated with their license system. It should be a rider on your drivers license is what it should be...So long as the software allows me to print more than one copy off my printer, I am making a back up to keep at home in case I lose mine sometime switching it from vest to chest pack to my lucky fishin hat. They can get a search warrant and come toss my home for it...but they won't find it...I'm a pretty sneaky pete when I want to be.

Posted on: 2006/11/8 10:55

From Southeast PA
If the software allows you to print more than 1 copy, what's to prevent somebody from printing up 50 of them and handing them out to their buddies or selling them? What are the odds that a WCO is going to check the license number to verify it's registered to you? Sounds like a big hole in the system to me.

Posted on: 2006/11/8 12:26

From Altoona, PA
Quote:

Wulff-Man wrote:
If the software allows you to print more than 1 copy, what's to prevent somebody from printing up 50 of them and handing them out to their buddies or selling them? What are the odds that a WCO is going to check the license number to verify it's registered to you? Sounds like a big hole in the system to me.

Printing a spare copy of your license to carry in your wallet, and commiting fraud are two different things.

Posted on: 2006/11/8 14:59

From Southeast PA
I understand that, Padraic. I think individuals should be able to have spares if they want. I'm just surprised that the PFBC has a system that makes fraud so easy. It makes me wonder if there are many people out there who aren't paying for their licenses. But I guess 99% are honest folks who wouldn't take adavantage of the system. It's kind of like the unattended farmers market stands that rely on the honor system (although you do run the risk of getting in some big trouble with the PFBC if you get caught, even though the odds of getting caught are small).

Posted on: 2006/11/8 15:48

From Chester County
Software not allowing multiple printings of the license is kind of pointless. Anyone can take it to their office or to Kinkos and make copies.

It’s like printing out your own boarding pass from an e-ticket on your home computer for a flight, and having the airport security check it before you enter the gate area. Anyone can print or copy anything. Real safe huh.

Posted on: 2006/11/8 16:18

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Software not allowing multiple printings of the license is kind of pointless. Anyone can take it to their office or to Kinkos and make copies.

It’s like printing out your own boarding pass from an e-ticket on your home computer for a flight, and having the airport security check it before you enter the gate area. Anyone can print or copy anything. Real safe huh.

OK slow down a little...We are talking about a fishing license not hijacking airplanes. All of these "token" documents you can print on your own printer are printed for YOUR peace of mind. In the F&BC case, so they can see the 2006 from a distance. I don't know about the airline tickets but I would guess they check the name on the "token" ticket to your drivers license and to their electronic log. It is pretty safe so long as they follow the protocol that the system was set up around. The old style license had a security feature, signing across the stamp and witnessed by the agent who sold it. The new on-line ones are printed from your printer with the data YOU enter. Then you have to sign it. If you print multiple copies, and sell them, your name is on them and you are responsible for the fraud that YOU committed. If you get caught.

There are all sorts of security features out there for document printing. And they are sold at a premium through US Patents. Some document use is deemed to not be that important and the Security is taken upon the document issuer to have a check and balance system to validate the legitimacy of the document.

And anyone cannot print the documents with security features...no one can. The featured are encrypted into backgrounds, micro-type lines, watermarks, etc. Where the importance of fraud is overshadowed by the cost to prevent it, the risk is written off as negligble and validation techniques are used.

The WCO's are very skilled at identifying a license from a distance and have a keen eye to determine when they feel there might be something questionable happening, in this case they will approach and question the fisherman and have him validate his license through his drivers license or another form of personal ID. (which you are required to have on your person while fishing).

Well, I guess we beat this one to death...I'm done.

Posted on: 2006/11/8 19:47

Quote:

Maurice wrote:
Well, I guess we beat this one to death...I'm done.

Not quite For 2007-2008 the PGC and PFBC are combining their licensing systems into a single, electronic database. The link doesn’t provide much detail but the way I get it, you swipe your drivers license through a card reader and they issue the requested license with your unique bar code.
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?A=11&Q=170033
Better to track you with said the big bad wolf.

Posted on: 2006/11/8 21:39

Edited by Gone4Day on 2006/11/8 22:23:28

The PA licensing system has some changes coming for 2007. Shops will receive a desk mounted computer for customers to print out their own license. It sounds like the NY system to me.

Posted on: 2006/11/9 16:10

From SW PA
Guys,

Moonlighting @ a sporting goods store, here's what I know about the new system. You will have to swipe your drivers license like you do your ATM card @ a store checkout line. As long as you are not a deadbeat dad/mom or are currently under some kind of license suspension your info will come up on the screen. You then say what all stamps you want, it prints out your new fishing or hunting license. It will be ALOT quicker and easier! Another bonus, if you lose your license, you just swipe your DL and the old license info will come back up. No more searching through all the licenses sold in the month that you bought them.
Jason

Posted on: 2006/11/12 9:59

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com