If they hatch in May,

JG63

JG63

Why are they (Vicarium) called "March" Browns?

Always wondered that myself!

Vivarium are called March Browns here due to the early settlers and/or flyfishers relating them to the March Browns (Rithrogena) of England (that duckfoot mentioned).

BrookieChaser wrote:
Vivarium are called March Browns here due to the early settlers and/or flyfishers relating them to the March Browns (Rithrogena) of England (that duckfoot mentioned).

In fact, the Western March Brown in the US is a Rithrogena. They're all clinger type nymphs.

Many British authors over the years have noted while they're sure March Browns (the English ones) must have hatched in March in the past, or elsewhere England, in wherever they're writing about, they now/here hatch in late April. I'm not sure he name was ever entirely accurate.

This should help you understand, I witnessed a huge flight of March Browns on Pine Creek a couple of times, both times the spinners never fell. Another time brookies were chowing down on them at Ltl. Pine. The bugs were hatching but not escaping the water during a cool drizzle.

March Browns

Great article Chaz.

"Although finding trout rhythmically feeding on March Brown duns is rare, it does happen."

I have yet to see it happen, in fact, I have yet to see them feeding even sporadically on the duns. I often see plenty of MBs on Penns Creek and just scratch my head as I watch a "meal" like that float down the creek untouched.

McSneek wrote:
"Although finding trout rhythmically feeding on March Brown duns is rare, it does happen."

I have yet to see it happen, in fact, I have yet to see them feeding even sporadically on the duns. I often see plenty of MBs on Penns Creek and just scratch my head as I watch a "meal" like that float down the creek untouched.
That was one point I made, I've seen it, but it's not common.

BrookieChaser wrote:

thats my understanding too. spring starts much earlier in the UK - usually mid february due to its maritime climate.

rithrogena germanica, though suggests to me that that is actually German in origin - or thats where it was first catalogued.

The fish don't know what month it is and if ther're hungry i would suspect they would eat said fly anytime.

brookieaddict wrote:
The fish don't know what month it is and if ther're hungry i would suspect they would eat said fly anytime.
Anytime the fly is available, otherwise when it's hungry it will eat anything that's food or looks like food.

I have had multiple outings on pine and little pine creek where I caught multiple fish on march brown dries. they usually seem to take them sporadically through the afternoon and evening and in my experience have usually really turned on for 15 minutes or so closer to dark.

The sporadic afternoon/evening feeding is the hatch itself. That 15 minute frenzy is the spinner fall.

I know the stories about MB spinners never hitting the water. But frankly, I haven't found it to be more or less the case with MB's than any other mayfly. It happens on occasion where spinners dance but never fall, and it happens on all species. Usually due to sudden weather changes in the evening, which is common in thunderstorm season.

But more often than not, if they dance, they fall. I suspect some ppl leave too early and then SAY they didn't fall. MB's are fairly strong flyers and they tend to come out early, be highly visible in the air, and then fall late. Sometimes after dark when 90% of anglers have left.

Chaz i thought you said we use bait???

Back