Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: IT'S OFFICAL

Years ago my friend and I were wet wading the Big Lehigh below the Hamilton street dam with shorts and sneakers.My friend had the misfortune to step on a board with a long rusty nail protruding from it,the nail went completely thru his foot.Good thing I'm much larger than him because I had to carry him to the car and off we went to the hospital.It was weeks before he could walk.
We gave up on the wet wading,now I have light weight breathables.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 0:31

Quote:

Alpabuck wrote:

I get poison real bad....since switching over to breathable waders about 4 years ago I havent gotten nearly as much!

What waders are these?

And jay ,that linky no worky

Posted on: 2010/6/2 6:51

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From pittsburgh
i wet waded laurel hill below the dam on saturday wow i t was warm i didnt do too bad nothign was hatching but still did well on black ant and caddis combo

Posted on: 2010/6/2 7:13

-me

From Enola, Pa.
I never did much wet wading, after seeing what happen to Jay, I never will again!

PaulG

Posted on: 2010/6/2 8:12

Wet wading is the least dangerous activitiy that I engage in. If you swam in the Mon as kid you have nothing to fear.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 8:12

From Greensburg, PA
Is that the inoculation by exposure to contamination theory or that whole I float too well to drown mindset?

Posted on: 2010/6/2 8:22

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

jayL wrote:
It's miniscule at this point. Three fingertip sized dots that scab then reopen on about a two week cycle. The rest is just a big shiny crater. Even so, I've learned my lesson about creek water.

At this point, I'm thinking it was the city water.

I used to swim in AMD creeks and farm ponds when i was a kid. I also spent a lot of time in the Clarion River 30 years ago when it was a lot dirtier than it is now. I've even swam in my pond and wet waded in Ohio and I've never had a problem. But I never wet waded in the Cuyahoga river thought.

And my legs are always scratched up.

Am I lucky? I don't think so, at least not in this context. Chit happens, and I refuse to live in a bubble to protect myself from it. I think part of the reason I haven't had problems is because I never lived in a bubble and have a healthy immune system as a result. And don’t read too much into that. I didn’t mean it as an insult to anyone. I’m just saying that if someone shelters themselves from all the nasties all their life and then comes in contact with one, they are less likely to be able to fight it off.

Of course there are places and times where/when you shouldn’t wet wade or swim.

Waders do eventually leak. Are you going to give up fishing all together because of it, or double up for extra safe wading?

I just think you were very unlucky Jay. You might not have even gotten the infection from the stream. Didn't you say you were wearing waders at the time and they didn't even get a hole from it?

The way I see it, I'm safer wet wading than I am going to a hospital.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 8:35

haha

Gambler, I found your wallet.

They are in your pants and your wife's wearing them.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 8:35

Monday night I whacked my shin on the tractor while exiting the barn. It was after dark and I was wearing shorts... Later when I got inside I was pleased to find it didn't bleed much. Then there is the burn on my wrist that I got on Saturday from the muffler. It stung a little when i jumped in the pool.

Maybe I should wear shin guards gloves and a dust mask every time I enter the barn?

Maybe i should just stay away from Japanese Tractors.

I'll admit I am not a very cautious person when it comes to my own protection. But wet wading is quite low on my worry list.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 9:02

From Greensburg, PA
Float on fat boy...maybe you should wet wade in the Gulf. Your pants could probably soak up a lot of that oil.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 9:04

From Bozeman
Ty,

Simms G3 waders. They are still waterproof. There's just a little nick on them where it happened. I covered it with glue or aquaseal... I don't think it needed it.

The link worked for me, but I'll try again:

The zombie wound:
http://i.imgur.com/IQpjg.jpg

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newb ... pe=&topic_id=8995&forum=2

Posted on: 2010/6/2 9:17

Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
Float on fat boy...maybe you should wet wade in the Gulf. Your pants could probably soak up a lot of that oil.

And you probably shouldn't. no need to contribute more oil.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 9:21

Jay, if the waders were still watertight, what makes you think you got the infection from the stream?

the did protect you somewhat from getting a worse cut, but so would a pair of jeans, wouldn't it?

It might be more likely that you got the bacteria from all the sweat in the waders. It thrives in that environment.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 9:23

From Bozeman
Dave,

I suggested that to the doctor, but he's adamant that it's water-borne. It's usually seen in cuts and scrapes on hands and feet, after swimming in a pool. I got a good soaking when I went down. I did take some water on, and he thinks it got in that way. It was a bone-deep hole, and it wouldn't have taken much to infect it. It was impossible to clean. It looked exactly like I was shot with a .22

I don't suggest that waders would prevent infection, but every bit helps. My main concern is that the original puncture was squarely on top of my shin. Had I not had some kind of protection, I am positive that it would have filleted me.

I could go to jeans, but that's just as uncomfortable as wearing breathables waist high IMO. The heat hasn't really bothered me since the great weight loss. I haven't worn shorts more than a dozen times in the last three years anyway.

When I do wet wade, I wear a pair of wading pants. They wouldn't have protected me from that rock.

There are much bigger things to worry about than wet wading, and I am guilty of doing plenty of dumber things. All I know is that there was a period last fall/winter where life was honestly miserable, and I'm just now getting to the point where going off these meds is a possibility. It's just not worth it to me, and I fully admit that it's probably because I'm a bit traumatized.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 9:31

Understood.

And you brought up another good point. I was a long time holdout for wet wading over waders in the summer, but about 10 years ago I finally broke down and bought my first pair. They are definitely more comfortable than a pair of wet pants.

I don't think I have wet waded any trout stream since I bought breathable waders.

The only times I "wet wade" now is when swimming/floating/fishing a pond, lake, or river where i would wear shorts. most of these even have swimming beaches anyway...

Another exception is where I happened to have fishing gear in the trunk and no waders, and I crossed some nice looking water.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 9:50

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com