HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: I miss fly fishing

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Is fly fishing just for folks with nothing more important to do? Or does it let you do important things, after you have taken the time to go fly fishing?

Please add your thoughts.

It serves as both for me. Usually I conquer my mountains before I head to the mountains. The long work week, piles of homework, the responsibilities of being a husband and a father and an active member of a church, that comes first. When I go fishing, it's usually after making sure I've fulfilled these duties. It's a big reason why I rarely get out fishing on week nights, and a reason why I won't fish on Sunday mornings most times.

That being said, there have been times where fishing has allowed me to get "important things" done. I remember one time in particular where I was preparing a pretty heavy lesson for our sr. high class at church. I was pounding the desk for hours, simply trying to find a starting point. Finally, I threw my hands up in the air, said, "I'm going fishing", and when I got back a few hours later, I knocked out a complete lesson in about 90 minutes. Sometimes you just need the batteries recharged.

Posted on: 2013/11/4 8:50

From Lansdale
I'm just getting back after shoulder surgery. Not getting out at all was extremely frustrating, especially throughout September and October. I did take a few walks and just watched trout, and others fishing, but to not have a line in was very frustrating. Not fishing is not an option. I don't even need to catch. I need fishing to calm myself. It puts all the crap into perspective.

Posted on: 2013/11/4 8:59

From Pgh
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Is fly fishing just for folks with nothing more important to do? Or does it let you do important things, after you have taken the time to go fly fishing?

The short answer is neither. For me, fly fishing is the more important thing. This famous quote by Robert Traver is the closest I've read to explain it. But as good as this is, it still falls just a tad short for me.

“I fish because I love to. Because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly. Because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape. Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion. Because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed, or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility, and endless patience. Because I suspect that men are going this way for the last time and I for one don't want to waste the trip. Because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters. Because in the woods I can find solitude without loneliness. ... And finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant and not nearly so much fun."

Posted on: 2013/11/4 9:24

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Really, I do. For about 2 years, I have fished very rarely. And I miss it.

I envy you all when I read of your adventures astream.

Did I mention I miss it?

I could go right now. I mean it is possible. But there are other more important things to do. So,...

Welcome to my world for the past 10 or 12 years at least. The majority of my fishing has been in my back yard, actually for the past 19 and most of it was not fly fishing. There were a few years where I didn't even bother buying a license.

I recently have decided to make time to fish more, and I do mean flyfish for trout including steelhead. I hope I can continue that.

I have decided it is good exercise for the body and mind and I need both.

Posted on: 2013/11/4 9:39

From Pittsburgh
I'm right there with ya, Jack. This is the least I've fished in about 4 decades. And when I do make it out, I'm rusty, so it takes most of the trip to shake off the rust!

Posted on: 2013/11/4 9:47

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
The reality is that life sucks. I have the idealic home, a loving wife, a wonderful kid, and I love it all. But I go to work, come home, and do the same dang thing all the time. There's a standing list of crap that needs done. Nomatter how cute my kid is and how much I love him, after an hour or two I'm just frustrated.

I do the best I can with it.

But I came to the realization that if all I did was stuff I was "supposed" to do, well, life would be REALLY boring. I mean, I'd have everything that matters most to me. But that doesn't get my blood pumping. And I need to have my blood pumping to make the most of it.

Fishing is "me" time. Nothing more, nothing less. It's time I steal away from everything else for me to be happy. I don't know if it fills the tank as in refreshing my sole, like afish said. I don't think I work like that. But I'm passionate about it, and an outing does re-invigorate my passion, and thus make me look forward to the NEXT outing that much more. I think that's it for me. I always need something on the horizon to get amped up about. Then all the every day crap just becomes a means to an end. Somehow I work better that way.

Kind of like sex for a teenager. It's not ultimately the most important thing in life, or even close to it. But it's what instinct makes you drive towards. You think about it non-stop, and try to scheme ways to get it. And to achieve it, you end up doing all the things that get you what does really matter in life. Love, kids, enough success to be secure, etc.

Posted on: 2013/11/4 10:00

Jack, feeling your pain. I've made it out only a handful of times this year. My job has become so demanding that after 25 years running the show I'm getting out. My family needs to have me involved in their lives and I need to spend time pursuing life outside of my current job. Good luck finding a balance.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 8:25

From LV
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Really, I do. For about 2 years, I have fished very rarely. And I miss it.

I envy you all when I read of your adventures astream.

Did I mention I miss it?

I could go right now. I mean it is possible. But there are other more important things to do. So,...

You spend too much time on this message board!

Posted on: 2013/11/5 9:11

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
The reality is that life sucks. I have the idealic home, a loving wife, a wonderful kid, and I love it all. But I go to work, come home, and do the same dang thing all the time. There's a standing list of crap that needs done. Nomatter how cute my kid is and how much I love him, after an hour or two I'm just frustrated.

I hear you, dude. I love my wife and daughters dearily, but I need an escape. My wife asked me about this the other day. If you're not careful, it can come across as if you don't want to spend time with your family. I explained to her, "I work in an office with all women all day. I come home to a household where even the damn dog is a woman! I need to get into the woods and get away from the estrogen!"

Posted on: 2013/11/5 9:26

From Lancaster County
Quote:

AndyP wrote:
Jack, feeling your pain. I've made it out only a handful of times this year. My job has become so demanding that after 25 years running the show I'm getting out. My family needs to have me involved in their lives and I need to spend time pursuing life outside of my current job. Good luck finding a balance.

+1

It's all about finding the proper balance, which can be different for every person. Before I changed jobs, I fished because I wanted to escape the stress of the work world. But when you are on the stream and your mind isn't clear and unmuddled, that says that the work side had invaded too far. I don't think that I fish any more now than I did a year ago but I fish with a mind that is not invaded with work pressures. How much we fish and the value we put on it depends where our priorities are. Again, there is not necessarily a right answer to this as someone else's priorities may not be my own and vice versa. And fishing (or not) may not be the root cause of whatever may be going on. But unless you are abandoning other obligations, I don't think fishing hurts

Posted on: 2013/11/5 9:35

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I'm right there with you Jack. I haven't fished much in the past few years due to my growing family. I miss it, but I know it's only temporary until I can get out a bit more. I love playing with my kids, watching them grow and learn and being with them but I still yearn to be on a stream. I know it's only temporary but I know what you're saying. Did some fly fishing for panfish with my daughter this year and was some of the best times I've ever had fishing. Can't wait till my boys are also big enough to take out.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 10:15

From Monessen, PA
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies and the other as well.

I couldn't imagine a world without fly fishing two years ago, nor can I imagine it now-- forever. It is certainly temporary, but it still pains me deeply.

Other than reading and living vicariously here, I can hardly remember what fly fishing is.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 14:59

-- Leo Tolstoy

I find that the more stressful my life gets, the more time I spend on the water. College really puts a toll on me sometimes, but nothing makes me feel better than some stream time. It also helps that PSU couldn't be in a better location for trout fishing.

Seriously, some mornings (like today), I feel like I can't even think straight until I've hit the stream. Only one cure for that!

Posted on: 2013/11/5 15:48

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From lower burrell, pa
There you go Jack, Tloomis has your solution, get more stress in your life so you can fish more. JK
It all depends on what stage of life you are in. My daughter is 13 and my son is nine, she figure skates and he plays hockey. They are at an age where they are pretty self sufficient except for transportation and such. If you're kids are toddlers or newborns it makes it more difficult to find time. If you are retired and kids are grown then its a little easier. If you are dead then you wont be fishing because you won't have any more stress. Trying to find a balance is the key to finding happiness and joy, fish on Mr. Miyagi

Posted on: 2013/11/5 17:43

From Eastern PA
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies and the other as well.

I couldn't imagine a world without fly fishing two years ago, nor can I imagine it now-- forever. It is certainly temporary, but it still pains me deeply.

Other than reading and living vicariously here, I can hardly remember what fly fishing is.

Go fish.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 22:29

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com