Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: I <3 Frenchies

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I have always heard the story....that when the JR World Championship were at State College, that a french kid was whooping arse. After the competition everybody wanted to see his box. Ala frenchies all up in there. Think George Daniel tells that story.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 10:45

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
I have always heard the story....that when the JR World Championship were at State College, that a french kid was whooping arse. After the competition everybody wanted to see his box. Ala frenchies all up in there. Think George Daniel tells that story.

You might have heard that from me, as George had to run the shop at TCO - that's why Loren coached the PA team instead of George.

The French were indeed kicking butt on the Little J. I got to see their fly boxes (part of my job), and was surprised to see how many tiny nymphs were in there. Nothing special - the ones they kicked butt with were a size 18 & 20 medium olive body (carrot shaped), and mallard flank fibers for tailing material.

Why Lance Egan is credited with devising the Frenchie is beyond me. The name says it all...

Posted on: 2013/2/24 11:55

I have heard the story also from George, but in his book he credits the Frenchie to Lace.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 12:05

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

InTheMend wrote:
I have heard the story also from George, but in his book he credits the Frenchie to Lace.

Yup - page 161 - "Egan's Frenchie". Lance added a UV pink ice dubbing hot spot to a Frenchie, and called it "Egan's Frenchie". Doesn't mean Lance "invented" the Frenchie (he didn't). It's a simple bead head pheasant tail that the French just added a hot spot to.

Let's say Becker tied up a Frenchie and added a purple UV ice dubbing collar - and called it Becker's Frenchie. He didn't invent the Frenchie, he just changed one small detail and claimed it as his "invention".

See how this works?

Posted on: 2013/2/24 13:47

From philadelphia
Quote:

shakey wrote:
and ,by the way, tour ties look fantastic!

*your

Posted on: 2013/2/24 13:57

Got it, I never claimed the it was his pattern entirely. Thanks for the info. I appreciate any and all advise, all I want to do is get better.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 19:52

From Ferguson Twp.
Quote:

shakey wrote:

i have heard good things lately about tying these with brightly colored thread as the hotspot instead of dubbing.anybody haveany experience with this?

I think the fl. colored hot spots make them more "streamlined" and finnish nicer. So I tend to fish them more so than the dubbed ones. Before I wrap the pheasant forward I tie off and finnish with the brighter thread.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 20:06

From Fayette Co, Pa
I have been fishing the frenchie for some time now and I have a lot of them tied up with different weight and colors. I use both dubbing and thread for the hot spot. I use dubbing to indicate flies that are only tung beaded and thread to indicate the ones that are tung and lead wrapped.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 1:48

( InTheMend) Sounds like you are on the right track. If you are going to make a run at going to the Youth USA Nationals, give me a pm some time.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 22:32

Also try them in different body colors, not just regular PT. Try turkey feather for light and dark sulphur imitations.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 22:35

From West Chester,PA
Why do you think it's more effective?

Posted on: 2013/2/25 22:41

Quote:

AFISHN wrote:
Why do you think it's more effective?

I am guessing you are asking about high sticking/tight lineing in regards to indicator?

It is all situational which method is a better fit. Where the current is faster and not so deep you pick up every pause and tick your fly produces. With an indicator you have a delay. This is the gist of it. Plenty on info out there on it.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 23:13

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com