Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: I've never caught native brookies fly fishing

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
Just need to get to some small streams in north central pa. Not really my cup of tea but its not to hard. Generally they will hit a well presented dry fly. CDC caddis is my favorite fly to fish who will hit anything. lite rods make it a bit better. For small fish I use a 3wt. Also I don't live near many streams with brookies. Cool looking fish. Just prefer that pulls a little harder.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 14:23

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

marcq wrote:
Just need to get to some small streams in north central pa.

I was just up in Clinton/Potter counties this past Sat and the streams in the area are VERY LOW! I would wait until we get a serious rain event, not to be confused with showers/thunderstorm.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 15:22

From NW Penna
Just made my first forray for wild Brookies.
Drove up into the ANF and hit a couple streams.
Fish were quite willing to take drys...
Was rewarded with this beauty on a Royal Wulf..

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/9/4 10:05

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
That's a very, very good brookie. Approaching trophy size. And wouldn't be surprised at all if it were from the same stream where my largest to date is from.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 10:34

From Pittsburgh, PA
Well I got to go on my fishing adventure in Ohiopyle and I'm glad I did. I hiked in about six miles on the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail, stayed one night in one of the trail shelters and fished several small streams that feed into the Yough. I saw a lot of wildlife: a bear, a rattlesnake, raccoons, a bald eagle, and most importantly lots of fish (some on the end of my line).

So I can no longer say I've never caught native brookies fly fishing. I think I'm finally getting to the point where my casting is actually pretty good; I can generally get the fly where I want it to go without getting tangled in a tree and I didn't lose a single fly. I probably only landed about 1 of 3 fish that I hooked though. I'm generally still freaking out that I caught a fish as I'm reeling it in and then the next thing you know it's gone.

I was using a 7 1/2' 4 wt rod with size 10-14 elk hair caddis and royal wulff flies. I had brought some nymphs to use as droppers but I never bothered with them since they seemed to be hitting the dry flies just fine.

Though it was only six miles, the hiking part was rough due to some major hills and the fact that I was carrying a heavy backpack. Meanwhile as I'm plodding along I see some other people without any gear running the trail like it was nothing. They must stay in some pretty great shape to be able to do that.

If I did this again I would probably want to stay two nights so that I had one day just for fishing. The second day I was fishing away and when I finally checked the time it was already 2:30 in the afternoon. I said heck with the hills and followed the railroad right-of-way back to the trailhead.

Resized Image

Resized Image

A four-hour hike in along the hiking trail

Resized Image

My first brookie

Resized Image

I could get used to this

Resized Image

A nice place to go fishing

Resized Image

This is where I would be fishing on my second day

Resized Image

My home for the night

Resized Image

I never had to do this before, but I had been advised to store food this way in bear country

Resized Image

Resized Image

another brookie and the section where I caught him

Resized Image

This is the Yough River, near where the tributary I was fishing enters it. The small speck in the middle is a bald eagle, if it's even visible at this resolution.

Attach file:

jpg  CIMG7067.JPG (75.13 KB)
5481_522725639b3af.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 2013/9/4 10:36

From Philadelphia
Sandfly,
I'll see you in May. I'll pass on the movie but dinner at the Logcabin (or establishment of choice) will be on the agenda.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2013/9/4 17:43

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com