Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: I've never caught native brookies fly fishing

From Philadelphia
How about if I act like I never caught brookies before? Can I then get away a snickers bar?

Posted on: 2013/8/29 11:49

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
sorry budy no sweets diabetic, has to be a cheese steak and a beer from you, and we can walk from here to get them both.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 12:13

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Philadelphia
I am going to take you up on this offer one of these days. I think it would be an enjoyable outing!

Posted on: 2013/8/29 12:17

BrentL-

I have fished the Laurel Highlands several times in the last month-Fayette,Westmoreland and Somerset Co's.

I have hiked the LH trail many times. My expereince is the trail is up high on the ridge and the streams and creeks are very small at that elevation.

You can hit the streams down lower where they may be a bit larger (thats more my taste though). There is no doubt fish in all of the streams along the trail.

There has been a copious amount of rain this summer and the fishing has been good. The Laurel Highlands got blasted with rain yesterday so it is setting up for some good fishing this weekend.

In the summer I head further east to fish, but this summers precipiation has allowed me to stay closer to home for trouting.

Good luck- it will be a tad cooler in the highlands which is nice for camping.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 12:43

From Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for the advice acristickid and Foxgap. That's good information about using streamers, I'll make sure I bring a couple along. Also, I was actually planning to hike down from the trail to the Yough and fish the lower part of the streams, working upstream from the mouth. Maybe even doing some fishing in the Yough itself too.

And I'd love to take up your offer, Sandfly, but I looked up Tioga County on the google and it's a long way from here! Though I've been to Potter County before and it's beautiful up that way. I had a lot of time on my hands in the summer of 2011 and went fishing there for a few days. Unfortunately that summer was hot and dry and generally the worst possible time to be fishing for trout.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 13:28

From Philadelphia
Once again, this is just me, but I prefer to use dark streamers in off color water. May be counter-intuitive but to me it works better. Small size 10 or 12 BH Olive WB-ers does wonders in off color water.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 13:33

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I rarely use streamers for wild brookies, and I rarely actually encounter muddy water when brookie fishing. So this is more a general fishing thing than a brookie centric one. But I too like dark colors. When a limestoner is up and off color I love throwin jet black sculpins around. Not counter-intuitive at all. Dark colors show up better.

Stick a waterproof camera underwater and take a pic in brown water. Look at pic. What do you see? It's bright, almost nearly white! White, or yellow colors wouldn't show up at all against such a background. Black, dark red, etc., show up very well, though.

Steelhead fishermen know this well with egg patterns. Dark, opague colors for colored water. Light pastels for clear water.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 15:12

From LV
Quote:

BrentL wrote:
I too am a beginner - I've been fishing several times but I've never really caught much. I live in Pittsburgh and I am very interested in fishing small streams for brookies. I was planning to go out to Ohiopyle on Monday and Tuesday of next week to hike in along the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail, stay the night, and do some fishing in some small streams along the trail. The idea of backpacking in a really beautiful place and doing some fishing while there really appeals to me.

There was an article in the Tribune Review early this month about fishing along the LHHT which also named a lot of small streams, including those in the area I'm targeting. I'm wondering if a lot of others may have been similarly inspired and as a result the area is now fished out. Also, there is now the possibility of some rain and thunderstorms forecast for the weekend and continuing into Monday. I can deal with some rain but I wonder how it will affect the fishing. It seems to me that maybe small streams like these don't cloud up as easily as other waters but I'm still wondering if it is a good idea to go as planned. I can always cancel this trip and go another time if necessary.

Any advice on my plans for Labor Day is appreciated and if anyone else is in the Pittsburgh area, has similar interests and doesn't mind having a newbie tag along I would be happy to join them to do some fishing sometime.

It would be quite hard for people to fish out wild brookie streams. The biggest threat to brookies is development and brown trout.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 18:18

From LV
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
I am going to take you up on this offer one of these days. I think it would be an enjoyable outing!

He's justup the road from my camp.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 18:20

From Sugarloaf pa
I love fishing for native brookies. My setup is simple , A 7'6" 4 wt rod with some #12 - #14 elk hair caddis and some ant imitations . The biggest thing you need is stealth on your approach to the water..

Posted on: 2013/8/30 8:38

I have a setup like that I was planning on using when i give it a shot

Posted on: 2013/8/30 9:14

From philadelphia
Quote:

DB66 wrote:
I love fishing for native brookies. My setup is simple , A 7'6" 4 wt rod with some #12 - #14 elk hair caddis and some ant imitations . The biggest thing you need is stealth on your approach to the water..

stealth on your approach to the water.the most important brookie info there is!

Posted on: 2013/9/3 0:48

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
I walk right up to them here, not much stealth with a lab in tow, i get plenty of them. low water I have to a little slower but never have to crawl or get down real low for them.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 6:38

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

can learn a great amount on brookie fishing quickly by reading the tom rosenbauer "Orvis Small Stream Fly fishing Book"

Posted on: 2013/9/3 9:49

Posted on: 2013/9/3 11:25

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com