Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

I've done it!

From Northumberland County
When I started fly fishing in 2008 I decided it was my goal to catch a wild or native trout on my own fly. I worked my way up taking Penn State's fly fishing class, and spending many days on the water alone and with friends.
This evening the stars aligned. I cast my #16 bead head zebra midge into a little pocket of water, saw the indicator dive under and raised the tip. Shake shake shake, and dead rod. Damn! Missed him.

I tried a few more casts just like that one, a short flip of the wrist knocking the fly off of a tree landing in the water with a light plop. Drift mend drift, DOWN goes the indicator. This time I had him.

I'm torn on brookie or brown, but either way I don't care. I've been fishing mostly barbless for the past few seasons and lost a few others at my feet today I'm sure were of similar origin and beauty as this fellow. But none will be as special as the elusive first. Here he is:

Resized Image

I caught a few more stockies, saw some mallards, geese, and woodies, and enjoyed a gorgeous sunset. You can't ask for much more in a day on the stream.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 20:58

Re: I've done it!

From Clearfield
Nice job

Posted on: 2013/5/12 20:59

That is a brown, if that is what you were wondering.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 21:12

From Dallastown, PA
Yes its a brown. Dark spots on a light background. A brookie had light spots on a darker background and also a brookie has curvy lines on the upper back of the fish called vermiculation.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 21:28

From Lancaster
Congrats. I'm sure there will be many more!

Posted on: 2013/5/12 22:51

From Mechanicsburg PA
Well done! Welcome to our affliction - 8^). PA grand slam next on the list (?)

Posted on: 2013/5/12 23:30

From Northumberland County
I think the grand slam is next. I believe I've done it on stockies before. But real fish will be a whole different ball game. I was able to get out with Dad tonight and share some good water time. We only managed a couple of bows but its always a good time.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 20:09

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com