I'm an Idiot!

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

Got a hall pass this morning from work and went to my favorite trico stream. Got there at dawn (yes, I like early) and got right into fish on nymphs. Had 3 on within 10 minutes. Only landed 1 and it was a stocked bow. Lost a nice one that I never saw but he ran me all over the pool before spitting the fly. The wild browns in this stream tend to like to jump when hooked and this baby never jumped so it also may have been bow. The other one I lost was a brown because I saw him. It slowed way down after that and only managed 4 more takes in the next 90 minutes or so of which I landed 2 small ones.

Anyway, here's where the idiot label comes in. About 9AM the tricos finally start swarming. I reach for my trico box only to find it is not in my vest. I remember taking out to add some flies last night and apparently never took it back off my bench. So the idiot goes trico fishing without tricos. Maybe "idiot" isn't a strong enough term now that I think about it. :cry:

When a person leaves pcray speechless, you know he's gone and done something, let's say "special"!

I think idiot is a little harsh. When ever I do something dumb like that, I like to say that I'm starting to have senior moments.

Anyway, when ever I restock my fly boxes - I make sure to put them right back in the vest, where they belong.

I've actually done that before. However, I had midges. A little hackle snipping and they worked just fine.

I once went up to the Slate Run area and left ALL my fly boxes at home.

I had rod, reel etc. but not a single fly. But luckily the Slate Run fly shop was nearby, so I bought some parachute Adamses, and that was all I needed. No Tricos required there!

Sounds like my whole fishing career. :roll:

The good news as I have long since learned.... is you too can learn to live with it. Welcome to the club. :pint:

I've done the same thing more than once.

Been there done that!!!!!!!! I once walked in on a rough mountain trail for 45 minutes to do some mountain brook trout fishing. When I got to where I wanted to fish I realized I left my fly box back at my truck. So 45 minutes later I was back at my truck and another 45 minutes after that I started to fish. If nothing else I got a lot of extra exercise that day and learned to check to make sure I have everything before I leave the house and before I leave my Truck.

did you attempt to snip another fly in attempt to mimic a trico

I did not because I was so pissed at myself, I got out of there before the fall. I figured if the fall was great and the fish were voracious, I needed to be away from any sharp objects. So in lieu of that I bailed before suicide contemplation took hold.

You could've tried an ant. When that happened to me one time, I did better with the ant than I normally do with the tricos. Might've been worth a try.

Leaving them at home beats leaving them on the stream. Which I've done, like 3 times.
Maybe you need an emergency fly box stashed away in your car somewhere.

That's not as bad as traveling 2 hours only to find that you left your rod at home.

Its known as outsmarting yourself. Not being an idiot. Sheesch!

I shall add to the consensus: I have three vests. One license. You know the rest.

Anyway, now that along with flyguy I can legitimately claim senior status and moments, here's one way to avoid one ( of my many) idiot moments with regard to licenses: Buy online and make a dozen copies!

Anyway, Fox, you only describe a place we all know too well.
Coughlin

I remember walking way back in to the headwaters of a native brookie stream only to realize that I left my brookie box in the truck and had my smallmouth box with me (nothing in there smaller than a size 8 4XL hook). I didn't have time to walk the whole way out to get it so I just had fun with them. Some of the reactions I got from those little Brookies to those big WW flies were priceless! I think it might have taken them a week to recover from the invasion. Oh yeah, I firmly got skunked.

Don't be too hard in yourself, Fox ....... Life is just too short!

Foxgap239 wrote:
Maybe "idiot" isn't a strong enough term now that I think about it. :cry:

The last word I think of to describe you would be idiot. You're one of the smartest fishermen I know.

If you'd have called, I would have made an emergency trico delivery - that's what buddies are for. :-D

After a rough day, I promptly drove to one of my favorite "get-away" brookie streams. Only to realize my chest box was on my fly tying bench from the night before. So I set land speed records getting back home. I only had less than an hour of light left on the stream but still brought one of the nicest brookies I've caught there to hand.

Edit: I forgot about running to Spring Creek one day after class and realizing I'd left my waders an hour away at home.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Foxgap239 wrote:
Maybe "idiot" isn't a strong enough term now that I think about it. :cry:

The last word I think of to describe you would be idiot. You're one of the smartest fishermen I know.

If you'd have called, I would have made an emergency trico delivery - that's what buddies are for. :-D

Sounds like an excuse for an emergency fishing trip.

Back