Hunters safety course in PA

S

somersetian

My friends have been trying to convince me to hunt for years. I would always reply that I'm not sitting through a hunters safety course, to which they replied your old enough you don't need one. This year I gave in out of curiosity. I went to wal-mart asked for a hunting license and 20 some bucks later I had one. Never asked about hunters ed or anything. I got home and read on the license that having it clarifies I have passed hunters ed. Since I have already have the license can I get in trouble? Hunters education is a joke, I mean they give 12 yr olds licenses for passing a test. I have been around and shooting guns for as long as these kids have been alive. Should I try and take the online test or do you think I am good?

Your good nothing to worry about although I wouldn't say hunters safety is a joke. I wish more hunters would take the course or at least excercise more caution out there.

Did Cheney pass a course? If you can't self study enough to ace a hunter safety course, I would like you to think twice about brandishing a firearm or rifle.

It is never a bad thing to take the course. I have taken it a number of times over the years. I took it when I was 12 and a brand new hunter and I have taken it with a number of young hunters over the years who had fathers that had no interest in hunting with their sons. Things have changed a lot over the years but you could probably benefit from taking a hunter safety course at any time. Good luck and be safe!

If you ever want to hunt in another state many of them require the certificate. Hunter Ed to a 12 year old is not a joke. Granted you already have the experience but they don't, many of them are coming from non-hunting backgrounds and have no experience with guns. Good luck hunting and be safe.

Thanks for the response. I do not think that hunters safety is a joke to 12 year olds, its a great thing. For anyone say over 25 though it seems a bit foolish to equate them with a child. I am all about safety with firearms and riffles. I briefed over the online study guide to the course. Is there a way for me to just take the test without going to a class? Since I already have a license would it throw up a red flag if I went to take a class now? I would just rather be on the right side of the law.

Hunter's Safety Course:

1. Treat every firearm as if it is loaded

2. Treat every firearm as if it is loaded

3. Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.

4. Identify what you are aiming at before squeezing the trigger

5. Double check #4

6 Ensure the barrel of your firearm is pointed in a safe direction.

7. Know what is beyond your target. (Bullets travel a long way)

8. Use common sense.

9. Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.

Just took my little girl to her hunter safety course.It was very good,They went into(Rifle,archery,trapping and muzzle loader).Took 8 hours and I would still recommend it to anyone.I DO NOT FEEL THAT IT IS A JOKE AT ALL.Saftey is #1 .(AND ITS FREE)

I didn't start hunting until I was in my late 20's. And I did take the class before getting my 1st hunting license.
So yeah, I was sitting there with a bunch of youngsters - and a lady who was about the same age as me.
But it was well worth it IMO. And I recommend you do the same. Hunter safety is too important to NOT learn because of any ego thing

Taking the hunting safety course "can't hurt."

Maybe you already know all the important stuff. But taking the course might give you good ideas on how to TEACH the fundamentals of safety to other people, young hunters coming up, or other beginners.

My dad taught my brothers and I pretty thoroughly about gun safety.

But I've seen the basics of gun safety violated many times out in the field.

Just recently I was out for a walk on a Sunday afternoon, along a gated woods road. I heard some shotgun shots ahead of me. I kept walking and up ahead two young guys were walking toward me. I talked to them briefly and the one guy's shotgun was sort of bobbing around, and at one point I'm pretty sure my legs and feet were in the line of fire.

He wasn't doing that deliberately to intimidate me. He was just careless. He probably figured it's empty, so he didn't feel the need to be careful about where the gun was pointed.

Small game hunting, I've seen people go under a fence, where one guy is going under the fence with his shotgun pointed at the guy ahead of him.

My dad would have had a cow if we had ever done these things. We were drilled that you NEVER have the gun pointed anywhere even close to anyone. And that was followed very strictly.

Here's something I've seen 3 times, and this is relevant to fisherman safety in regard to guns.

Three times I have encountered target shooting where the people had no backstop and other people in the area were put in great danger.

One time the guys were target shooting across a field to a target on the opposite side of a trout stream which I was fishing up. They were shooting directly across the stream, with deer rifles.

Another time guys were target shooting with handguns at cans sitting on top of a log. With no backdrop. And a flat floodplain and a stream beyond them. And I was fishing up that stream.

Another time I was out for a hike on a trail in Rothrock State Forest that is pretty close to State College and a very popular hiking place. Near dusk I was walking back down the trail towards the parking area and I heard some shots.

I kept hiking down the trail. And came upon some guy target shooting with a 22 at a target on a tree. There was no backstop and the line of fire was directly towards the trail that I had just walked down.

So, here's the safety tip for fishermen and hikers. If you hear target shooting up ahead, do not continue. Turn around and go back. You cannot assume that the target shooters are behaving safely. Assume the worst. Your safety is much more important than the inconvenience of interrupted fishing.

It's like the "drive defensively" idea. You have to assume that the target shooters might be senseless, careless idiots, and take precautions accordingly.

^^^
Probably spin and bait guys, lol. Better say I am joking before I get nailed!

I wandered onto some private hunting grounds about 10 years ago in Michigan. Heard gunshots and I shouted to let them know I was there. They wandered over and told me that I wandered into private property. I didn't see any signs through the woods or along the water.

I can't see why anybody wouldn't want a hunter safety course. Even some of the best guys I know with guns are still very careless. I went to a shooting range a couple weeks back with a friend and on two separate occasions he laid his gun down pointing right at me. Stuff like this is one of the reasons why whenever I go shooting I like to go alone.

people who think they need no stinking hunter's ed are the people who should take it.

Technically, yes, you can get into trouble. You signed a legal document under false pretense, some of uor lawyer friends here may be able to expound on what the charges may be and the penalty may also be.

djs12354 wrote:
Hunter's Safety Course:

1. Treat every firearm as if it is loaded

2. Treat every firearm as if it is loaded

3. Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.

4. Identify what you are aiming at before squeezing the trigger

5. Double check #4

6 Ensure the barrel of your firearm is pointed in a safe direction.

7. Know what is beyond your target. (Bullets travel a long way)

8. Use common sense.

9. Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.

10 Never point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot.

Please do take the Pa Hunter safety Course. I've sat through three of them-two for sons and one for me -many years ago. I have learned something new each time. Some of the issues regarding safety zones are worth reviewing. Also tips for identifying your target. Don't assume that because you have owned or fired a gun that you are ready to go out in the woods hunting. There is a lot you may not have considered. I hope you will take the course.

I don't think the course is required by the state and that is really a shame.

It actually is required by the state, In the handbook under licensing information it states unless you hold a certificate of training here in PA or another state you are required to take the course before buying a license. If you would have done your due diligence you would have found that out. There is now a Mentored Adult program that will allow you to buy one without taking it for up to three years.

Age has nothing to do with a person ability to safely handle a gun. I see no difference between A 12 or 25 yr old that is unfamiliar with guns.

I can easily see how this is confusing. I have NEVER been asked by a license seller if I had taken a course. The PA Game Comm. portal where you can purchase the license says nothing about the requirement at any point during the purchase/checkout. All you are asked for is identification and payment. Very strange way to enforce a "requirement".

I was under the impression I didn't need one, mainly because all my friends who have hunted since they were very young told me I didn't. I now plan to take the course, you all have convinced me. It had nothing to do with ego or anything like that I just cant stand giving up a saturday. Thanks for all the input as usual.

Taking the hunting safety course "can't hurt."

Maybe you already know all the important stuff. But taking the course might give you good ideas on how to TEACH the fundamentals of safety to other people, young hunters coming up, or other beginners.

My dad taught my brothers and I pretty thoroughly about gun safety.

But I've seen the basics of gun safety violated many times out in the field.

Just recently I was out for a walk on a Sunday afternoon, along a gated woods road. I heard some shotgun shots ahead of me. I kept walking and up ahead two young guys were walking toward me. I talked to them briefly and the one guy's shotgun was sort of bobbing around, and at one point I'm pretty sure my legs and feet were in the line of fire.

He wasn't doing that deliberately to intimidate me. He was just careless. He probably figured it's empty, so he didn't feel the need to be careful about where the gun was pointed.

Small game hunting, I've seen people go under a fence, where one guy is going under the fence with his shotgun pointed at the guy ahead of him.

My dad would have had a cow if we had ever done these things. We were drilled that you NEVER have the gun pointed anywhere even close to anyone. And that was followed very strictly.

Here's something I've seen 3 times, and this is relevant to fisherman safety in regard to guns.

Three times I have encountered target shooting where the people had no backstop and other people in the area were put in great danger.

One time the guys were target shooting across a field to a target on the opposite side of a trout stream which I was fishing up. They were shooting directly across the stream, with deer rifles.

Another time guys were target shooting with handguns at cans sitting on top of a log. With no backdrop. And a flat floodplain and a stream beyond them. And I was fishing up that stream.

Another time I was out for a hike on a trail in Rothrock State Forest that is pretty close to State College and a very popular hiking place. Near dusk I was walking back down the trail towards the parking area and I heard some shots.

I kept hiking down the trail. And came upon some guy target shooting with a 22 at a target on a tree. There was no backstop and the line of fire was directly towards the trail that I had just walked down.

So, here's the safety tip for fishermen and hikers. If you hear target shooting up ahead, do not continue. Turn around and go back. You cannot assume that the target shooters are behaving safely. Assume the worst. Your safety is much more important than the inconvenience of interrupted fishing.

It's like the "drive defensively" idea. You have to assume that the target shooters might be senseless, careless idiots, and take precautions accordingly.

Yet another reason not to take a gun along while fishing, you cannot according to law shot at a target that isn't protected by a backstop, it's always been right in the book you get when you get a license. I don't know if it's still true but there used to be a requirement that it had to be a certified gun range or something similar to that.

Back