How would you fish this

mute

mute

Heres a little diagram of a part of a stream. Starting from the left, where the suckers are laying, thats about 6 inches of water that goes to about a foot which is fast riffles. Then theres the drop off hole where the trout are laying, thats is a hoel of about 3 feet and it levels out behind them to about 2 feet steady down. How would you go about getting down to the trout in that hole? Its hard because you only have about 10 feet of the riffles to cast up to and it pushes your line/fly down so fast that it cant drop down to the trouts face. And if you add alot of weight it messes up the natural drift below/gets snagged in the rocks in the shallow riffles before it gets to the fish.

The best method ive came up with is standing upstream and trying to just drift the fly right torward then letting my line straighten out with no slack, pulling back up the current then lettign it drift down again.

339u9u0.jpg

This is a very common set up on the Horn. Many of the great holes are gravel drop offs or shelves. Often the trout are way up high in just inches of water, but the sweet spot is where you have the trout in the diagram.

One way that I like to approach this situation is to use a tuck cast along with a reach, throwing the fly line and leader upstream of where the flies land. This will give you a presentation very simular to a drift from upstream. An advantage to this cast is that if you do not get a hook up the flies, leader and fly line will drift below the trout and you can pick up and make another cast without spooking the fish.

This is one of many ways that you get get hook ups in this type of water though.

Didnt even think of that, thanks for the explination.

I would forget about the nymph, tie on a streamer that resembles those chubs and swing it around the edge of the drop off. Hopefully one of those trout is large enough to snack on the chubs.

Oh no!!! Do not forget the nymphs.

I keep trying to share what I learn but I'm really horrible as many have pointed out that I don't do well describing techniques.

So not being all knowing and fishing this scenario minus the suckers this is what I do.

2 weighted nymphs. At least a bead head for the tag fly.

I'd ignore the suckers, slap my nymphs down right where the plunge spot occurs. You just need to effectively sink them at a fast rate. You don't need to part seas. The contact part is where you will catch them, lose them or never knew you had them.

I'm finally really having fun, due to some great instruction!

Those suckers are as big as the trout, I'd fish for them. :-D

Yes but they will smell up your net! Another learning moment do not net suckers or carp...ever!

flybob has it going. That's the same way I've done on holes like that. I've had them hit right at the top of the drop off.

I also like flybops suggestion. Very nice advice.

p.s. that diagram is inaccurate because the brown, being "smarter" would be ahead of the bow's and eating the spawns first ;-)

the diagram you show is very common to fishing the small rivers in Alaska except the suckers would be spawning/spawned our salmon and there would be dolly varden, rainbows, or steelhead holding in the deeper water directly below. The way I normally fish this is I would cast my fly right about where the nose of the suckers are, drift it through them and and the fly would be bouncing the bottom right at the edge of the drop-off. It gives it a very natural look and is very successful.

Yeah, that situation is what the tuck cast was invented for. Nymph it.

Back