Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: How often are trout caught & released

Troutbert:
Since you know the PSU study on Spring Creek (peer reviewed scientific literature) , would you please state the other informative findings regarding population impacts since multiple gear types were in use (bait, lures, flies)?
Mike

Posted on: 2013/6/24 20:44

Quote:

Mike wrote:
Troutbert:
Since you know the PSU study on Spring Creek (peer reviewed scientific literature) , would you please state the other informative findings regarding population impacts since multiple gear types were in use (bait, lures, flies)?
Mike

Mike, I don't have a copy of the study.

Feel free to add any of your own comments about it.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 21:14

From Ohio
I caught the same trout two days in a row on Spring Creek a few years back (I posted pics in another thread on this topic). It had a split pectoral fin that was very distinctive. The fish clearly recovered quickly and was on the feed after being caught, it was feisty and fought hard the second time around. I have also caught the same smallmouth several times in the same summer, it was always in the same spot and the markings were the same based on pictures I took. That fish never showed any negative signs after being caught repeatedly. The river changed significantly that winter and the tree that fish hid under fell and washed away. I'm sure that bass is still out there somewhere.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 7:22

From Jefferson Twp
Thanks for all the input even though some didn't actually answer my question. But that's all right as it was interesting to read about repeat catches. It must be the Spring Creek survey of which I was asking. I'll see if I can find it via Google. The following stream occurrence gave rise to my question.

I was on lower Spring Crk last week & I asked an angler about the fish population, you know, questions like average size, maximum size, hatches, etc. It didn't register at the time, but he said a study on SC indicated trout are caught 30 times (lifetime possibly?), or something like that, & that is the reason why they don't reach the 20"+ mark like I'm used to seeing in my local waters. I was perplexed at the lack of size of the trout I was catching given the abundance of forage compared to my local water. Maybe the lack of size has more to do with the size of the water, i.e., better hiding places for trout, than with the number of times they are caught or the forage base present. Obviously forage has a lot to do with growth, but then so does competition from neighbor trout & pressure from fishermen.

Leo

Posted on: 2013/6/26 12:22

From Monessen, PA
Leo, the 12 inch wild trout is more than likely reaching the end of his life cycle. Individual specimens that reach 16+ inches were lucky by genetics or circumstance to grow quicker.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 13:32

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Trout growth varies considerably from water to water. Part of it is forage base, pressure, etc. A bigger part is probably water temperature and it's effect on the length of the "growing season". A 12" fish could be 1 year old in one stream, and 5 years old in another.

Regarding Spring Creek: I think average size stays fairly low just due to the ridiculous population of fish in the stream. A good pool literally has more than 100 trout in it. Even with a good forage base, there are only so many good holding lies, etc. Just like bluegills in a farm pond, if there are too many and no predators, they stay small. Add some bass, and the numbers of gills go down, but the size goes up. There are some, including me, who believe that harvesting a controlled # of fish could actually help that stream!

That said, Spring Creek has plenty in the 16ish inch range and a few in the 20ish range. Probably as many as anywhere else cept maybe BIG rivers like the D, Yough, Allegheny, Clarion, etc, where a diet heavy on baitfish helps. It's just that there are so many smaller fish in addition to them. And I think, when we are catching fish, we typically don't switch tactics, despite perhaps needing to switch tactics to get to the bigger ones.

Also, it's somewhat location specific. All areas have a few monsters, but the size of the typical fish is noticably smaller upstream, for instance, in the canyon, than it is down below Paradise and through Bellefonte to the mouth.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 14:53

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com