Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

How many hunters here?

From SW PA
How many hunters here?

Sorry, there should be an no option with the poll, but my little girl hit the enter button on me. I've tried to go and fix, but it won't let me, maybe a moderator can add the no?
JH

Posted on: 2007/7/22 12:01

Edited by flyfishermanj on 2007/7/22 12:36:33

Re: How many hunters here?

From Carlisle
I've hunted since I was 12 and enjoy every second of it! For me archery hunting and fly fishing are equally comparable in enjoyment levels and they're two things I could never give up.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 12:33

From SW PA
Yeah, I've also hunted since I was 12, but small game hunting is what I enjoy the most. Seem to be doing less of it though since I became an Fly Rod addict.!
JH

Posted on: 2007/7/22 12:39

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
I hunted from the time I was 12 until I was 26, which would be from 1964 until 1978.

I gave it up because it is one of those sports where C&R in any meaningful sense is very difficult, because of a significant and sudden hearing loss that made me view all loud things in a disfavorable light (including my first wife...)and because it was cutting into my fishing time.

All my male relatives continue to hunt and I think it is a wonderful sport. It just isn't for me any more.

I do not wish to begin a controversy, but I believe that a time will come when anglers will probably have to at least somewhat disassociate themselves from hunters in the public policy and advocacy arena in order to assure the survival of fishing.

Thankfully, this will be long after I am dead or at least when I am so old that I might prefer to be dead...:)

Posted on: 2007/7/22 13:26

From Ohio
Been hunting for about 12 years, mostly in Ohio.

Many fisherman will not seperate hunting from fishing because they do both.

But, I agree, the kinder, gentler, and more fashionable C and R fly fishing can attract people to fishing that would never hunt.

Or we can have people learn to appreciate where meat comes from.....

And quite frankly, many of my non-hunting, fishing suburbanite friends are all to happy to have me come in their neighborhood with my bow and shoot a couple of deer.....they appreciate the venison and the deer being thinned so they don't eat their flowers and cause car accidents.

Its all how you spin it....

Posted on: 2007/7/22 13:45

I have hunter for about 45 years. I still love to hunt wild turkeys, both spring and fall, and my addiction to turkey hunting is almost as severe as my addiction to fly-fishing for trout. I used to love deer hunting, but when the PGC decided to decimate the herd, I lost a lot of my enthusiasm for deer shooting, as some guys have abandoned sportsmanship to absolutely slaughter deer in the name of management. Thankfully, most turkey hunters have not bought into buying an extra tag for spring gobbler hunting (fewer than 8000 from an estimated 350,000 wild turkey hunters), demonstrating that they have respect for those wild birds and that they do not share the mentality of those who overharvest deer. Anyhow, this is a fly-fishing board, so I won't say any more about that! Thank goodness for fly-fishing and for the many people who allow public access to their privately owned waters.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 13:50

From Lehigh Valley, PA
I've never hunted, other than shooting a pigeon when I was twelve. I have no problem with hunting; with proper management it strikes me as the most ethical, humane source of meat. The hunters I know decent people who treat their quarry with respect. That said, I've seen video of Ted Nugent hunting, and it turned my stomach. For example, the video repeatedly showed him gut-shooting a wild pig.

One of my high school teachers used to hunt with the Nuge. In one class he debated a PETA woman, who showed the above-mentioned video. Years later, I learned that he compleatly dissociated himself from Nugent after watching the video. While I never saw eye to eye with him, I think he is more representative of the average hunter than the Motor City Madman.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 14:36

- Homer J. Simpson

From Bozeman
I don't hunt.

At the risk of sounding like a pansy, I'm a bit too squeemish to gut a large mammal.

I do, however, really want to try some small game and bird hunting.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 15:13

From Monessen, PA
I only hunt rising fish. It takes about the same amount of patience some days.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 15:26

-- Leo Tolstoy

I have enjoyed hunting since I was twelve, 15 years later I still enjoy hunting. I love to archery hunt, upland hunting, and spring gobbler hunt. I could give up all other hunting in a heartbeat. I love to see my dogs work a pheasant or grouse nothing better.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 17:33

From Berks County, PA
I bow hunt with a longbow and like to hunt with a flintlock for deer.

Ron

Posted on: 2007/7/22 21:50

From Ohio
Quote:
I bow hunt with a longbow and like to hunt with a flintlock for deer.

Thats the hunting equivalent of dry fly fishing.....

I've been thinking of going longbow, what is the range on those? 30-40yds?

Posted on: 2007/7/23 6:43

From Other side of the tracks
I used to hunt just about anything as long as it was game that I would eat. Now I hunt mostly just deer, but I never harvest more than I can use (same with fishing). I'll also shoot varmints, but that is not hunting to me, it’s just shooting varmints. Freakin groundhogs! Besides, vultures need to eat, too.

Posted on: 2007/7/23 6:43

From Berks County, PA
OhioOutdoorsman - I keep my shots to 20 yards or under on deer. I have been shooting a longbow for many years and have taken a fair amount of deer with my longbow. Shooting traditional equipment takes time to practice and stay sharp. I shoot every other day and sometimes every day. I try to set my tree stands up so that when deer pass they are within my 20 yard zone. Traditional archery is equivalent to fly fishing and a lot of people who shoot traditional archery equipment also fly fish.

Ron

Posted on: 2007/7/23 6:57

From Altoona, PA
I don't even eat much beef. What would I do with a whole deer? When I get better, It would be nice to shoot pheasant or other upland birds, but are there any in PA?

Posted on: 2007/7/23 7:05

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com