How many days have you volunteered this year?

Acristickid

Acristickid

How many days have you volunteered this year to help out fishing. Did you do stream clean ups, fundraising, stream improvements?

None..but I'm going to estimate about 150 days for coaching, raising money, building new fields, sign ups, planning etc. for our youth baseball and football leagues...once my kids have moved into H.S. it should free up some time.

For some reason the poll did'nt take the first go around.

I put 3 because I did help stock local waters that many times...

Tom, you handled the question wrong. I answered more than 5, but it didn't specify that the volunteer work had to be fishing-related. If that were the case, I would have answered zero, unless of course taking Maurice and Paul to school on their home waters counts.

"How many days have you volunteered this year to help out fishing."

acristickid wrote:
How many days have you volunteered this year to help out fishing. Did you do stream clean ups, fundraising, stream improvements?

Which one?

The above question (which was posted when I answered) or the poll question which didn't get posted until after I answered?

Um, lets see, its a poll on a Fly Fishing message board not in the off topic forum.....I'd say it relates to fishing.

Fishing doesn't count either....not even if you are teaching little sh1ts how to fish.

I didn't formally volunteer at all.

I'm a taker.

I kid, I kid. I picked trash up on every fishing trip this year. I also accidentally threw a cigarette butt into spring creek. I'd say that I broke even on the Karma scale from that.

Once I finish school, my evenings will free up. I'm considering joining vftu, though it's a freaking haul from where I live.

OK, then change my answer to zero, but put my schooling of Maurice and Paul in the "good deeds, semi-fishing-related" category. :cool:

Haven't made any this year, but then I've only been able to make 2 "fishing specific" daytrips this year...so I guess it's relative. Daughter goes for another surgery Sept 26th.

My thinking is if you don't volunteer to do something, you are part of the problem. I have the equivilent of a dozen days working for cold water fisheries. Picking up along a stream doesn't count for anything!

Spent a week with youth at a TU youth camp! Awesome!

Chaz, explain how I am part of the problem because I don't volunteer for fishing-related activities. I don't see it that way and need your insight to possibly change my mind. I have activities I engage in without remuneration that involve sacrifice of both time and money, but they aren't about fishing. For some of us, fishing is a past-time and the important issues facing the world don't involve a rod and reel. If you really stop and think about it, fishing is a really minor issue-- at least it definitely is to me. I abide the rules, make little impact on the environment and fish population and contribute some money to PFBC through my license and permit purchase and also to the fund that receives taxes from fishing supplies. I know you and others might not think that's enough, but frankly, I need convincing.

I find myself enjoying helping out as much as fishing sometimes. Especially helping others get into the sport, such as fishing derbies or the Youth fly fishing camp. Despite being the busiest year of my life I've still been able to help out in one way or another about 10 different days.

Do your good deed and send a letter to Senator Corman about the Spring Creek lands issue. You don't even have to drive anywhere or subject your poor aching back to more abuse. It would take all of 10 minutes to write the senator a letter, put it in an envelope and put a stamp on it.

And the benefit for PA trout stream conservation could be very significant.

See the Conservation board for more details.

I recycle and pick up trash if I see it. Does this count?

I helped stock in the spring and I will again in the fall. Like some others I have also put time in service unrelated to fishing that probably impacts a larger slice of humanity. I do like to give a little back to the sport of fishing that gives me so much pleasure.

Maurice wrote:

Fishing doesn't count either....not even if you are teaching little sh1ts how to fish.

Why not? OK, if it is your own kid, then I would agree. That is your responsibility, but if you help out someone elses kids ...

And what if you invite a little chit (with their father who doesn't fish) to your farm (which you pay mortgage and taxes on) to fish your pond which you personally stocked with fish that you purchased, and you manage the pond yourself, then you show the kid how to fish, and you don't actually fish yourself? At least not for the first hour or so. :-D

And by the way, who appointed you the charity police commissioner? ;-)

Enough joking around. It is up to the individual to decide what they feel is volunteer work. I also think this poll is lame. It is like asking how much money do you donate to the church. Sure, a lot of people would answer that poll too, but i wouldn't. If they do answer, then they are donating for the wrong reason IMHO. It's nobody elses business. When i do volunteer work for anything, I don't do it for a pat on the back. If you are doing it for recognition of any kind from other people, you are doing it for the wrong reason IMHO.

Chaz wrote: "Picking up along a stream doesn't count for anything!"

Chaz, you'll have to explain that one to me........

Back