Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: How do you describe your fly fishing style?

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
Anti-pretentious/ostentatious/exclusivity. Driven, opportunistic, obsessive, consumed, but non-competitive.

I fish for trout with a fly with the same sensibilities and brimming anticipation I fish for crappie in Lake LeBoeuf. Neither is a higher calling than the other.

I also don't wear bandanna or those goofy hats with the brim in the back...

Posted on: 2010/8/24 14:55

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

littlelehigh wrote:
I've learned to love dry fly fishing and am very close to hating nymphing.

*shakes head* Corey... you'll come around.

Click here and you'll know

Posted on: 2010/8/24 14:57

From Eastern PA
Quote:
BTW I DID throw my rod in the Tully on a cast once when it was ripping.

I was kidding Jay, as I intentionally LAUNCHED my rod across Valley one day after this tree behind me kept reaching out and grabbing my back cast.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 14:58

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>>4 phases of a fisherman:
First, you just want to catch them,
Then, you want to catch a limit,
Next, you want to catch a monster,
And finally, you want to catch them the way that you want to catch them.>>

Dahlberg said this? It's much, much better than that other "progression of an angler" thing from a lot of fish to big fish to difficult fish.

I always suspected that some twit at the New York Times made that up..

Posted on: 2010/8/24 14:59

From Bozeman
I think the idea of discrete phases in some kind of progression is a silly romanticism.

It's just fishin. You get better at it and try new things. You like some, dislike others. You begin to catch fish "on your terms" because you're skilled enough to do it. If your "terms" aren't met, you'll quit out of jaded laziness or indifference to catching fish, or you'll adapt.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:04

From lancaster county

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:11

From Pine Grove
I chuck big fat streamers. It's not the only type of FF'ing I do, but I do it a solid 7 out of ten trips. I throw wets 2 of the other three times and if I hit a hatch at exactly the right time or have a few ants on me I'll throw a dry. I also sit streamside and smoke cigars, drink bourbon and watch the creek, but not as much as I think I am going to when I leave the house.

Boyer

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:13

From Nazareth PA
I would say that I am like trowpa. I like to be out fishing anywhere, (although not as early as he goes out). Sometimes I just walk along the stream with my dog and see if I can spot fish.

I want to learn everything I can, which has caused me to buy everthing out there and try to tie ever fly pattern known to man.

I prefer nymphng over other forms of fishing. But no matter what style I use that day, it is always great to be out on the stream.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:13

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

Jayl- I disagree, at least for my "progression".

Sal- what are you driving at?

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:14

From Bozeman
Quote:

acristickid wrote:
Jayl- I disagree, at least for my "progression".

Sal- what are you driving at?

So you detected an instant in time, where your entire outlook on fly fishing changed?

I said it's not discrete, and I believe that to be true. Your preferences may gradually change over time, but it's a function of learning to be a better angler. There isn't some mystical path that we are all doomed to follow. Once you become good enough, you may learn to catch fish in ways that are more interesting to you. Once that happens, you may become too lazy or indifferent to use other tactics when needed. You may not.

There's nothing wrong with changing outlooks, but I think it's silly to romanticize it. To imply that someone that enjoys adapting to what the fish want is less "advanced" is crazy. To imply the same about someone who enjoys quantity over quality is simply wrong. We all walk our own path.

My guess is that sal's just practicing his writing skills for his groundbreaking book.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:16

From Monessen, PA
Call me the most avid hack you know. Put me in the list also of dry fly anglers. It is an act of desperation for me to tie a wet fly on unless after cold steel or SM bass. Generally.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:21

From Montgomery County
Jack of all trades, but probably a better nympher than anything. My time spent dry fly fishing is limited so it's hard to rate myself... no better than average, but I definitely manage to catch some fish if there's a hatch or decide to stick with it for any period of time.

If I'm on a stream where I know there's some big fish, I love to go after them at the expense of just "catching" all day long.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:25

From Room 109
Quote:

MattBoyer wrote:
I chuck big fat streamers. It's not the only type of FF'ing I do, but I do it a solid 7 out of ten trips. I throw wets 2 of the other three times and if I hit a hatch at exactly the right time or have a few ants on me I'll throw a dry. I also sit streamside and smoke cigars, drink bourbon and watch the creek, but not as much as I think I am going to when I leave the house.

Boyer

I am in Boyers Camp

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:27

I'd describe myself as self taught (though I've read a lot of books, mags, etc). Maybe being self taught isn't so great, though: I've never become a great caster and can catch only bass but not trout on streamers for some reason. So, I fish quite a lot with nymphs, though the young lions do a lot better than I do and tie on a dry fly whenever I think they'll work, esp during a hatch. I am not one to fish underwater when they're rising. So, if you ever see a scruffily dressed (old green work shirt, often a no logo cap, and stained old olive fishing vest) old 60-year-old plodding along where he hopes to have some water to himself, it might be me. The giveaway might be afterwards (in the evening) when I sit on the tailgate of my new Ranger drinking a cold beer before heading home. I guess I'm just glad to still be on the water.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:31

From lancaster county
Quote:
My guess is that sal's just practicing his writing skills for his groundbreaking book.

Where the hell where did that come from?

You know some of you guys sure are condescending and down right rude. Jay truth be told i was rolling my eyes are a prior comment. I don't need to explain myself and nor will I.

Keep it up kid. If your personality from this board was to ever show itself to how you are in person, expect to have many fat lips.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:32

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com