How do you describe your fly fishing style?

Acristickid

Acristickid

Maybe you never have even thought about it. Have fished with enough people that I can identify several styles I guess. Some I might not even be able to describe.

Maybe you are to new or a beginner to even have a style (nothing wrong with that). Maybe your changing styles- have you?

Are you a purist? Just having fun and dont care at all? Maybe dries only. Maybe partial to nymphing? Maybe bamboo? Maybe only fish during when bugs are hatching? Engineer type- where you have to understand why and what something happened. Streamer guy?

Me- I am a jack of all trades, master of none. Really- I will fish wets,nymphs and dries and toss meat flies. I recognize each has it's place and can be effective. I am not an expert at anything but I feel competent enough at most tactics. I also can fish most any water since I dont get locked into any one method or any one type of location. No one trick ponies.

Am at the point where I have fished enough where I can pass on crap condition days. I dont have to outdo anyone. Don't get me wrong I want to catch fish, especially if my buddies are catching and I am not. I never want to "come in last". hehehe I would take some time to help others out- but I am not the type to walk over to someone and say "Hey you need to highstick nymph, dummy and you'll start catching too." Because hey, maybe it's just not their style.

YOU??

I would agree with your assessment of yourself.

I don't know what I am. I just like to fish. Feel free to give me your opinion on it.

Jay- well, your not a purist.

Your not just a dry or nymph guy. You like streamers but stuck on them. In my estimation, I would say our styles are very similiar.

Both- journeyman. hehehehehe

That's fair. Definitely a journeyman. No real interest in being an expert, as it implies not much left to learn, and it's not really attainable. If I got to that stage, I'd move to the keys and start from scratch.

I feel that Jay is fairly accurate but seems to have an issue casting with the wrong hand. Seriously, the first 4 guys I fished with from here were lefty. What's that all about?

I enjoy fishing dries and will try to a majority of the time. If nothing's doing up top, I'll nymph. Usually done in 10 casts but getting better at doing it for longer periods. I nymphed for 5-6 hours straight on the WB w/ Alpa and EsopusGuy. Streamers, usually fish them during low light. I don't have to catch a ton, been there done that. I'm just happy to be on the water.

I am a terrible dry fly fisherman if I have to fish them at any distance. Lots of tailing loops, especially after I've been fishing weighted stuff. I nearly threw my gear in the water at the D over that, but eventually settled down and stuck a few.

Maybe I should start doing that right handed to combat the muscle memory. I am able to cast righty.

I'm not a fan of Larry Dahlberg, 'cause he's an arrogant @$$, but the one thing he said that I like:

4 phases of a fisherman:
First, you just want to catch them,
Then, you want to catch a limit,
Next, you want to catch a monster,
And finally, you want to catch them the way that you want to catch them.

It takes a lot of homework to learn about the fish you chase. I am at that place in my fishing where I want to catch them when and how I want to catch them. I enjoy developing my own methods and tossing stuff at them that the streamside "experts" might roll their eyes at. I always have a reason for casting what may at times seem zanny. All I can say is...I don't often smell the skunk. 'Cause when the "experts" say it's just a bad day and they ain't biting...I find a way! They are not always on fire, but they are always biting.

PatrickC- just curious. How do you like to catch them? All ways, and just what you feel like doing that day?

I like flyfishing period. My favorites are Terrestrials and Tricos. I will however fish whatever flyfishing method I think will work. I really like Nymph fishing too.IMO you catch more and bigger fish. I'll "Highstick" without an indicator or use one to fish farther out. I fish with graphite and fiberglass both. This spring I even fished with bamboo. That was pretty cool. I tie all my own flys. I think that really adds alot to the sport. Nothing beats catching trout on your own creations. I think drys are great but only effective at certain times.I also fish streamers and wets. I guess I'm also "A Jack of all Trades, Master of None". All I know is this is a GREAT sport no matter how you go about doing it and I love it!

I would have to call my self a dry fly fisherman. As of late I've been branching out though. Streamer fishing is pretty darn cool when you can see the streamers and can watch the strike. I've been nymph fishing for about 3 years now as well and I can run up numbers but I just hate doing it. So other an awful left handed caster I dont know what am.

I do love dry fly fishing though!

Jack of all trades who prefers fishing shorter rods

I'm not about numbers, or size. I'm not a purist.

For me - it is about the experience. Being on the water, enjoying the sensations. The sound, the feel of the water. The kinetic feedback of casting. The shake of the trout on the line. The anticipation. The connection with nature. Both the solitude and the companionship.

As for methods, i primarily nymph. I am drawn to nymphing and will prefer to catch fish this way, but am not opposed to catching them on dries or streamers and will do that on occasion (boiling water hatches for dries, high muddy water for streamers, also use streamers for bass)

I am confident in my abilities, but recognize i have a lot to learn. I enjoy finding my own quirky ways to do things though. I heard it once said that fly fishing is a bit of a folk song. You need to learn the basics, but then develop your own style. I agree with that.

I don't need to catch a lot of fish. I don't need large fish. I do - like most - prefer SOME action. But it is about the experience as a whole - and looking at PatrickC's post - i'd say I'm in the camp of

"And finally, you want to catch them the way that you want to catch them. "

trowpa-

"For me - it is about the experience. Being on the water, enjoying the sensations. The sound, the feel of the water. The kinetic feedback of casting. The shake of the trout on the line. The anticipation. The connection with nature. Both the solitude and the companionship."

That's good stuff right there!

I nearly threw my gear in the water

Jay, where would you learn such behavior?

My analysis of others then myself:

Sight, you have used the Dahlberg lines a few times and you are admittedly in the last stage. I think you are moving away from that a bit, cause the first time I fished Delaware with you, we did waaaaayyyyy more driving, looking for bug activity and rising fish than we did fishing. I think the 'toons and the adapting more to nymphing has slowed you down and focused you on "less than optimal" bug activity and risers. I think that has been a good thing for you. If you enjoy being on the water, then this new focus keeps you on the water, versus driving around looking for perfect conditions. I have always held that the greater amount of time you spend on the water, the greater your success AND the greater the relaxation/enjoyment. I fully believe that you embrace the fishing "lifestyle" of the Delaware and enjoy chewing the fat with the ladies at the diner, chilling at the Capria and shooting the crap with Dennis (guess that one is in the air now?), as much as the actual fishing. Your biggest weakness is that you do not have strong enough opinions. You should embrace your opinions and tell people what you really think.

Jay, you are very adaptable and ready to embrace new methods, new styles and techniques. You have great tying skills, though you tend to believe that crazy over the top fly show quality is not needed. You realize that fish often eat stuff just because it's there. Your nymphing technique is certainly good, though I have not seen you throw a dry or really a streamer. You will pound productive water, while willing to move and not get stuck in one prime location. You are entertaining and willing to share any knowledge you have, including secret fly patterns (lol). Your biggest weakness is that you don't hold your fly rod in your mouth when you take photos. This would take you to another level.

I think of myself as a jack of all trades and certainly a master of none. I like dry fly fishing and nymphing pretty much the same. I like presenting tiny tricos to rising fish with a 8' 3wt as much as I enjoy nymphing pocket water with a 10' 4wt and 3 lbs of lead. I usually am throwing more than one fly at any time, regardless of streamer, popper, dry or nymph. I think my general presentation skills are ok for dry fly fishing and pretty good in euro style nymphing I need to work on strike detection when using coil sighters or straight colored line. I need to get away from the 8ft 3wt so much, as I am stressing the rod and over working myself presenting longer casts. I definitely need to work on tying, as I find I really don't enjoy it that much and have to force myself to do it. I am marginally satisfied with my tying results, both the over all look of the flies and their ability to catch fish. I want to become proficient fishing out of my toon, as I really suck at it right now, constantly getting tangled, etc. Oh, I really need to work on my line management. I find I have too much line on the water, around my feet, etc, etc. I REALLY need to work on my streamer presentation and particularly my confidence in them. I believe confidence is a huge factor in success and I simply have little in streamers, though I KNOW they should/will work due to the reactionary disposition of fish.

I'm a hack at best. Left handed hack to be more accurate. I've learned to love dry fly fishing and am very close to hating nymphing.

Streamers are cool especially in cloudy water. I can dig it.

Jay throw that pattern I gave you upstream 40 or 50 ft and just strip in the line as it comes back to ya. You'll love it!

I've also been toying with the idea of learning to cast righty. It's gotta be easier than trying to lay out a back cast.

BTW I DID throw my rod in the Tully on a cast once when it was ripping. God that day sucked.

Anti-pretentious/ostentatious/exclusivity. Driven, opportunistic, obsessive, consumed, but non-competitive.

I fish for trout with a fly with the same sensibilities and brimming anticipation I fish for crappie in Lake LeBoeuf. Neither is a higher calling than the other.

I also don't wear bandanna or those goofy hats with the brim in the back...

BTW I DID throw my rod in the Tully on a cast once when it was ripping.

I was kidding Jay, as I intentionally LAUNCHED my rod across Valley one day after this tree behind me kept reaching out and grabbing my back cast.

>>4 phases of a fisherman:
First, you just want to catch them,
Then, you want to catch a limit,
Next, you want to catch a monster,
And finally, you want to catch them the way that you want to catch them.>>

Dahlberg said this? It's much, much better than that other "progression of an angler" thing from a lot of fish to big fish to difficult fish.

I always suspected that some twit at the New York Times made that up..

I think the idea of discrete phases in some kind of progression is a silly romanticism.

It's just fishin. You get better at it and try new things. You like some, dislike others. You begin to catch fish "on your terms" because you're skilled enough to do it. If your "terms" aren't met, you'll quit out of jaded laziness or indifference to catching fish, or you'll adapt.

Back