Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: How do you describe your fly fishing style?

From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
I believe it was ER Hewitt who first came up with the 4-Phases-of a- fisherman idea. It has since become cliche. If your grandad had been a serious flyfisher back before WWII, he would have thought Hewitt was the cat's pajamas.

I've been flyfishing for trout since 1986. I'm not terribly stylish but I do have a certain mindset that I bring to my fishing. I'm a traditionalist of sorts. Not your atavisitic re-enactor type, rather the kind of sport who thinks the old-timers had some ideas worthy of emulation. I have been a follower of the North Country school for some time; meaning I enjoy fishing a team of three wet flies with a long rod and a fairly light line. I tie my own flies, which are almost entirely spiders (aka soft-hackles).

How I fish is more important to me than how many, though I like to catch at least one trout each time out and feel very satisfied with a pair.

I like to fish alone, but will always chat with another fisherman if the opportunity arises (though I firmly believe in granting space to the other fellow).

I am a slow-moving fisherman who favors a short line technique. I don't fish nymphs but if I lived nearby a limstoner I would learn that technique. I sometimes fish dries for mountain brookies.

I love mountain freestone streams and firmly agree with Thad Norris that tobacco and trout fishing are inseparably bound up with one another.

I keep the occasional trout, especially if I intend to thank my hostess for her hospitality. And there is nothing more refreshing than a short nap along the stream.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 10:18

From florida
Old aged eclectic fly fisherman.I can fish from top to bottom and find a fish that is dumb enough to strike.Once in a while.
Like Paul G its about friends,new water and helping others find pleasure in pursuing fish.Share what you know it will come back to you 10 fold.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 10:38

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Quote:
My guess is that sal's just practicing his writing skills for his groundbreaking book.

Where the hell where did that come from?

You know some of you guys sure are condescending and down right rude. Jay truth be told i was rolling my eyes are a prior comment. I don't need to explain myself and nor will I.

Keep it up kid. If your personality from this board was to ever show itself to how you are in person, expect to have many fat lips.

That might be true when he as a fat kid, but he looks like he can actually run pretty fast.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 10:54

My style these days? Ha..I can fish all day and change flies maybe 3 times. Mostly dry...nymph when I have to. I was once a greyhound, bounding from rock to rock in order to see what's around the next bend. Now I spend half my day sitting on the rock....smoking a cigarette and enjoying the nature around me. I don't like wasting time fishing to abundant smaller fish...I'd rather concentrate on the one big fish with the challenging lie. I keep it simple....one fly (no droppers), and pure (no strike indicators, "bobbers" as I like to call them). I haven't gotten on the water before 10 AM in years, and quit when it starts getting dark. Catching one more fish is no longer a priority. I still like fishing alone in limited doses, but would much prefer to be with a good friend or 2. I prefer to hang close to my buddies out there, as opposed to separating from them to increase my chances of hooking up. 25 years ago I was fishing as much in a week as I now do all season. Priorities have changed, but I still love it when I can get out there.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 13:07

From Portage, PA
i describe my fly fishing style as a "NYMPH-0" LOL. what can i say i am addicted. i caught so many trout this year by adding some weight to a nymph and having a float. I never dreamed how productive a size 14 bhpt or bhhe can be. also have to say i am not fancy with any of my presentations. just tapered leader and 4 lb test. LOL. what ever i can get my fly out. It works for me.

I also enjoy the style of creating a fly just to try it out and see what it will catch on instinct or what i see on the creek alone. That is a really rewarding style.

Another thing about my style is going out not only to catch fish but to sit on the bank for a few and just take it all in. The sky, trees, and the water. Respect nature and thank GOD i am able to do this.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 14:16

From Portage, PA
oh yeah in the spring its waders and a camo hood with camo hat and summer is cut off camo shorts. a sleveless tee and my PSU crocks.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 14:17

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
Bruce lee somes it all up.

"A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself."

"Any technique, however worthy and desirable, becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it.The highest technique is to have no technique."

You swear he was a flyfisherman.

Just the kind of mind set I wanna have all my time on the water.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 15:21

From NE OH
Quote:

gribble wrote:
I consider my self a fisherman with no style!

If you were not a Marine....I would have so many fun comments about that. But, because I need to continue to care for my family at this time and cannot afford to have my arms ripped off Wookie style...I'll let it go.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 16:11

My style, Let me think.

I get way too excited just getting to the stream. Ridiculous, as a matter of fact. So first I start off with the blade of grass technique. That's when My first retrieve catches a blade of grass and I am not patient enough to walk down and properly set my line free, so I tug which sets me up for the tree technique, that's when I try to get really tall while trying not to break my rod to get the branch I'm hung up on down to eye level, which usually doesn't work so I do the break off the fly and tie a new fly on technique which is painfully slow. From there I go to get stuck on a rock technique straight back to either the stuck in the tree method or back to the tie on a fly method, which leads to the sit on the bank and want to cry technique which just makes me mad enough to burn off the adrenaline that I started out with and then I just fish. And when and if I catch one, I whoop. Yes, I actually say whoop, I can't help it. Pretty embarrassing.

In between the variations in fishing techniques I insert finely crafted wading techniques, which include the double arm fast water arm rotation, the steep bank crab crawl and slippery rock 2 feet in 20 minutes painful to watch Pro-master technique.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 18:37

From Bozeman

Posted on: 2010/8/26 18:44

From NE OH
Quote:

wetnet wrote:
My style, Let me think.

I get way too excited just getting to the stream. Ridiculous, as a matter of fact. So first I start off with the blade of grass technique. That's when My first retrieve catches a blade of grass and I am not patient enough to walk down and properly set my line free, so I tug which sets me up for the tree technique, that's when I try to get really tall while trying not to break my rod to get the branch I'm hung up on down to eye level, which usually doesn't work so I do the break off the fly and tie a new fly on technique which is painfully slow. From there I go to get stuck on a rock technique straight back to either the stuck in the tree method or back to the tie on a fly method, which leads to the sit on the bank and want to cry technique which just makes me mad enough to burn off the adrenaline that I started out with and then I just fish. And when and if I catch one, I whoop. Yes, I actually say whoop, I can't help it. Pretty embarrassing.

In between the variations in fishing techniques I insert finely crafted wading techniques, which include the double arm fast water arm rotation, the steep bank crab crawl and slippery rock 2 feet in 20 minutes painful to watch Pro-master technique.

C'mon now Jay...that is actually pretty funny.

I have had days like that on the stream where I thought I should be playing the role of Cosmo Kramer, instead of trying to imitate a fisherman.

I expect I'll have one tomorrow while I chase a few brookies

Posted on: 2010/8/26 19:29

From Bozeman
I wasn't rolling at wetnet. I enjoyed her post as well.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 19:38

From Manheim, PA
Quote:
Well, well, well. Look who it is.

Yeah. When we fishin' together again?

Posted on: 2010/8/26 19:53

From Harrisburg
I'm moving this weekend and fishing has been sparse as of late. I'm definately ready to go next thursday.
My only communication is going to be these pms for a stretch though.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 22:16

Quote:

jayL wrote:
I wasn't rolling at wetnet. I enjoyed her post as well.

I know you weren't. Actually I've come a long way from that......most days?

When I get to fish allot I'm fine, but when I don't and I finally get to go that description is sometimes a little too accurate. If anyone has a hunting dog that shakes when it figures out "yes!" it's actually going hunting. That's how I feel, when I hit the stream when I haven't been out in awhile. Pretty silly I know and it does lead to disaster. The wading techniques came into play while trying to wade Penns creek bowling ball bottom and trying to fish in one of those removable body casts after back surgery. I wore out the seats of 3 pair of waders going from rock to rock during that stretch.

Actually after this long hot spell, I'm going fishing Saturday afternoon with my son. I'd tell you where but I'd be spot burning for sure. Ha! Ha! I guess I'd better leave the camera behind as well. My son may be tempting to make a picture library on why he does not like to fish with MOM! LOL!!

I say the best fisherman type (dry, nymph,wet, streamer or a mix) is one who can laugh at himself and puts up fishing with someone like me.

Posted on: 2010/8/27 8:32

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com