Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: How do you describe your fly fishing style?

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>>I heard Dahlberg say it, not sure if he coined it though. He has quoted it in his shows and quotes it on a VS commercial. I like watching his Hunt for Big Fish show, but I have to turn off the sound. He is such a cranky bass turd.>>

He could come by it genetically/as a result of heritage.

I grew up in the Lutheran Church and spent a lot of time around old Swedes and old German farmers with big tufts of hair growing out of their ears. The Germans actually became more genial as they aged, but the old Swedes just got more and more cranky. Its like they spent all their spare time sucking on lemons.

In fact, there's an old Lutheran saying about all this: "If you're out Church shopping and find a Swedish Lutheran Church where somebody from the congregation comes up and actually says hello within the first 5 times you attend, that's where you want to put your roots down because you've found an exceptionally warm and outgoing congregation..."

Posted on: 2010/8/24 17:38

From NE OH
Quote:

RLeep2 wrote:
>>I heard Dahlberg say it, not sure if he coined it though. He has quoted it in his shows and quotes it on a VS commercial. I like watching his Hunt for Big Fish show, but I have to turn off the sound. He is such a cranky bass turd.>>

He could come by it genetically/as a result of heritage.

I grew up in the Lutheran Church and spent a lot of time around old Swedes and old German farmers with big tufts of hair growing out of their ears. The Germans actually became more genial as they aged, but the old Swedes just got more and more cranky. Its like they spent all their spare time sucking on lemons.

In fact, there's an old Lutheran saying about all this: "If you're out Church shopping and find a Swedish Lutheran Church where somebody from the congregation comes up and actually says hello within the first 5 times you attend, that's where you want to put your roots down because you've found an exceptionally warm and outgoing congregation..."

That 'splains a lot about my German heritage...thanks! Especially in regards to that ear hair thing. I wondered where that came from :)

Posted on: 2010/8/24 17:47

From Bozeman
German ear hair is a curse, but it gives us something to pick at on long drives.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 17:55

From Southwest, Pa
rough, yet graceful.

Love to throw loops w. dries, and will fish under the water, but at last resort. If I'm nymphing or throwing streamers, I enjoy employing single spey casts... snap t's, spiral snake rolls...etc.

I'm always smiling, and if alone, jamming to my 'swinging flies' playlist in one ear so I can still hear the stream with the other.

Always try to make that difficult cast... would rather throw a 40 footer under branches while on my knees with a 2 wt. oppose to sneaking closer for a clean cast. I've yet to fish w. you fellas from this board... guess the judging will come at a later date.

I write daily, but it's not a fishing log... in the process of building a site now that will affiliate my work along with a few other close friends... one's a custom rod builder, and the other is an outstanding photographer. Hope to print off some t-shirts, 3/4 t's, hoodies, and flannels w. the logo we've come up with. I'm sure I'll share it with you all when it's finished.

If any of you are looking for a solid build, check out my boys work...

http://www.laurelridgerods.com/

Posted on: 2010/8/24 18:36

-Art Lee

From Pittsburgh
I like a modified traditional approach. I fish bamboo almost exclusively. Dry flies or subsurface wet flies are my preferred method. I could not go back to stocked fish, I have tried but It is no longer fulfilling to me.

My approach consists of observation and then attack, even if that means going into the fishes underwater world to find them. I may walk a stream before hand finding the possible lyes and think of the best means to get fish out of them. Being self taught I have found what works and what doesn't through trial and error, so experimentation is a part of my style. I manage to get out of the rut and fish places that most overlook, and the rewards are easily seen...

Thats just me. I may be young but I have 8 years of fly fishing under my belt. Oh yea im goin out to get me my first license one of these day, gotta love taxes!

Posted on: 2010/8/24 19:52

From Delaware Co.
My style you can call it the art of Fly Fishing without Fly fishing

Posted on: 2010/8/24 19:56

From harlansburg
my style?? jeez, I hope I look cool out there!!LOL do I get points off for duct tape on my gear?

Posted on: 2010/8/24 21:06

From Pittsburgh
Beside fishing only dry flies:

I prefer large streams over small ones. But I've never been crazy about float fishing. Would really rather just hike - or bike - along the water.
When I'm on a multi day fishing trip, I really prefer to camp, as opposed to getting a room. There's just something about ending a nice day of fishing by sipping some cold beer around a campfire.
I also like to eat breakfast along the stream - searching for (hopefully) some risers

Posted on: 2010/8/24 22:32

From Enola, Pa.
First of all, Im a troutsnob and a die hard dryflyfisherman. I don't like nymphing, so I have never been good at it, I can do it if I have too. The last few years I have been fishing with streamers, and do catch some fish.

At one time I considered myself a pretty darn good dryflyfisher, but never a all around flyfisherman. These days because of my wading abilities(not so good) and health reason my fishing has really went down hill. I still like to get out there, just have to pick my spots and be careful, it's not about numbers anyway.

My favorite things are fishing new streams and fishing with friends and good people. One of the things I have enjoyed most about my many years at this great sport is, helping other people.

One of the best things, was finding this site, many years ago. I have fished with and have made so many friend. For that I thank Dave Kile!

It's been a wonderful, 30 some years!

PaulG

Posted on: 2010/8/25 6:50

From Harrisburg
Its hard to decipher yourself in an accurate fashion. You can do it honestly though. Usually someone else can make a more accurate assesment.
I can do you Paul, theres even a name for it.
"Crowe-kwan-do".
I love'em too.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 7:27

From "THE VILLE"
Bruce lee somes it all up.

"A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself."

"Any technique, however worthy and desirable, becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it.The highest technique is to have no technique."

You swear he was a flyfisherman.

Just the kind of mind set I wanna have all my time on the water.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 14:51
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From Manheim, PA
Quote:
If your personality from this board was to ever show itself to how you are in person, expect to have many fat lips.

WORD!

Posted on: 2010/8/25 21:07

From Harrisburg
Well, well, well. Look who it is.
Bored Spector?

Posted on: 2010/8/25 21:26

fishing style?: I enjoy fishing dry flies. But to me, the most important thing on a fishing trip happens before I make a cast: finding a lot of wild trout.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 8:16

I consider my self a fisherman with no style!

Posted on: 2010/8/26 10:18

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com