Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

How a Stream Can Change

From Ohio
Just thought I'd share. Here's an example of how a hole on a stream can change from year to year. That tree in the first pic created a nice plunge pool which held some nice fish. Now the entire hole is just a slow moving pool(still deep though and probably holds fish). And that rock in the middle of the stream in the first pic is still there, but now pretty much underwater. Hard to tell since the first pic doesn't show the end of the pool to compare photos, but I think the stream just got backed up because of sticks and such? That's what it looks like, but there's always been a big pile of logs/sticks there. During both pics the stream was at pretty much the exact same water level. Didn't notice any other changes, just this spot. First pic was taken in March of 2012, but I've been to the stream a couple times since then during the spring and fall. The second pic was taken this past Sunday. Got skunked Sunday, but it'll be interesting to see how that hole fishes now.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/4/18 18:09

Re: How a Stream Can Change

From SEPA
Neat pics. Things sure do change. I am sure there are other, new opportunities on that stream elsewhere.

Posted on: 2013/4/18 20:03

From Monessen, PA
Seems it could look that way, each way, just between spates. Anyhow, which was more productive?

Posted on: 2013/4/18 20:05

From Butler, Pa
the more things change the more they stay the same. im actually kind of disappointed with some the changes (man made) to a couple streams but hey cant rag on guys doing volunteer work trying to do some good for the fishing

Posted on: 2013/4/18 20:21

From Ohio
Quote:
Seems it could look that way, each way, just between spates. Anyhow, which was more productive?

Well, Sunday was the first time I've fished it since the change(which I have no clue when it happened, anywhere from Dec. till now). Got skunked, but that hole has produced fish in the past. Decent one's too for the size of the stream, along with a dink or two. Definitely not the easiest of streams, but it has fish and some big ones.

On average the hole seems to be bigger, pretty much combining two holes, and deeper throughout. Still was deep because of the plunge pool, but the entire pool wasn't deep. Now it is and mainly slower moving but still a good flow. Has some good underwater structure which could possibly have a bruiser or two living under it. Overall I guess the "quality" of the hole is still the same, just different. Maybe even better? I guess I'll find out next time.

Posted on: 2013/4/18 20:49

I think it will probably support more fish now, because the pool is deeper. Pools rule. But it might be a little harder to fish than before.

But if you send me location via PM, I'll try to "research" it some time. It looks like a nice stream.

Posted on: 2013/4/18 21:49

From Gamehendge
Mother Nature gives and takes away.

Posted on: 2013/4/18 23:13

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Phish_On wrote:
Mother Nature gives and takes away.

thank you.

Posted on: 2013/4/18 23:30

From Luzerne County, PA
Want to see some real rearranging of streams, check out Bowmans, the Loyalsock and tribs before and after the fall 2011 flooding.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 0:32

From Johnstown, PA
"Gonna sit here on this bank of sand and watch the river flow"

Posted on: 2013/4/19 7:11

From NE OH
The log and debris jam at the bottom of that hole turned it into a pond over the past year. On the upside, that hole is now holding several larger fish. In the last month it has produced several different 15" fish and 1 17" fish. Eventually, another epic blow out will happen and it will change everything again. The entire lower creek is completely different now. It's a good thing. It keeps you on your toes as a fisherman. It creates new habitat for the fish.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 9:08

From Dauphin PA
I read through this and was going to point out the Loyalsock and some other larger trout waters. The first time out in the spring, you have to get the feel for the river all over again. Sometimes shoals move, deep runs get created and I've even seen an entire island vanish from one season to the next. The streams are a constantly changing thing.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 10:11

From Ohio
Quote:
The log and debris jam at the bottom of that hole turned it into a pond over the past year. On the upside, that hole is now holding several larger fish. In the last month it has produced several different 15" fish and 1 17" fish. Eventually, another epic blow out will happen and it will change everything again. The entire lower creek is completely different now. It's a good thing. It keeps you on your toes as a fisherman. It creates new habitat for the fish.

That's good to know. Thanks. It held nice fish before too, but it's good to know it changed for the better.

Quote:
It's a good thing. It keeps you on your toes as a fisherman. It creates new habitat for the fish.

And that is one reason why I love fishing! Things are always changing and you are always learning.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 15:30

From Philadelphia PA
Hurricane Sandy did some changes on the Pennypack. Some areas that were real productive last year have showed little signs of life. Alot of it is the sand build up in the area. Trout do not like sand in their gills.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:21
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From LV
IT looks to me like the pool is much deeper and the water is cloudy this year vs. low and clear last year. That's why youcan't see the stone in the middle of the pool.
Everything last year was much lower on opening weekend last year than this year.
Just saying that's is the way it's been this year. things change rapidly in streams and it can be because of a single event.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:27

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com