HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: How a Stream Can Change

From NE OH
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
IT looks to me like the pool is much deeper and the water is cloudy this year vs. low and clear last year. That's why youcan't see the stone in the middle of the pool.
Everything last year was much lower on opening weekend last year than this year.
Just saying that's is the way it's been this year. things change rapidly in streams and it can be because of a single event.

That is not the case. I fish this creek several time per month. The lower end of the run is jammed up at the outlet and you can't see it on either photo.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 18:01

The two photos is a good example of how large woody debris improves trout habitat. It created a considerably deeper pool.

In the first photo, look at big rock in the middle of the pool.

In the second photo, you can see the same rock, but on it's top is exposed, the rest is covered by water.

It looks like the pool is about 16 inches deeper than before.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 18:13

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
It looks like the pool is about 16 inches deeper than before.

Looks to me like the water is higher. Not 16 inches, but at least 9 or more. Otherwise, the pool/run looks the same.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 23:23

From Ohio
I fished this stream today, and the pool isn't a pond anymore because of all the debris. The big rock is back above water. I did catch and miss a bunch of fish today, but none out of that particular hole.

I also noticed a few other changes to the stream I didn't notice last time(mainly because I didn't walk that far last time). Nothing major, but enough to keep you on your toes and changes things up a bit.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/6/6 18:08

From NE OH
While I was in the office this afternoon looking at the radar, I was thinking the creek was probably fishing pretty well today. I was there 3 weeks ago and that hole was still a pond. Interesting that the bottom has since dropped out. I caught a 17" brown at the top end of that run in the riffle 3 weeks ago.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 19:23

From Ohio
I usually like to fish that stream when it's up and muddy a bit. I knew the conditions would be pretty much perfect so I had to fish it today. I don't do all that well when it's low and clear.

And nice! There's quite a few fish that size in that stream(as you know). The biggest one, well actually 2, I got today were only about 11in(still nice for a small creek) but I was happy to hook into a good handful of dinks. Always nice to see the smaller fish. Like I said nothing in that hole, but it has produced in the past for me. Wanted to fish the whole stream down to the mouth but I had to be somewhere and didn't make it that far downstream.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 19:56

From NE OH
Hit the creek today. That hole is lower now than it has ever been. A new outflow broke trough behind the rock wall on the far side of what was the pond. I think I liked the pond better. Used to always catch fish about the square boulder before it was a pond. Now there is only about 2" of water around the boulder. Good day on the creek.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 21:36

From Ohio
Interesting. When I was there last week the pool did seem shallower than it was before the pond, but it still had decent holding water. Couldn't get a fish out of it though.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 22:12

From Philadelphia PA
I know I've seen those two photos in another post about a year ago. Someone needs to do more fly fishing.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 22:17
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Ohio
?????? I don't get what you're trying to say.

I think I may have made a post about this creek last spring and used that first picture in the OP(last spring is when it was taken, as I stated in the post). The other pics are obviously from this year. I fish this stream a handful of times a year(if that) along with a gazzillion other streams/lakes I fish in OH and PA. I think it's safe to say I do a lot of fly fishing, every weekend and during the week if I can.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 22:43

From LV
Tell us where it is so we may enjoy it too, I mean WTF, you may as well not have the stream to fish if no one else knows that it needs protection.
Pennypacker is just saying fish somewhere else already.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 23:26

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
They live in Ohio. It only has like 2 freakin trout streams. Leave them alone. Needs brookies btw.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 23:35

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From NE OH
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Needs brookies btw.

The upper part of that creek was full of brookies 30 years ago (one of the guys I guide with grew-up on this creek). The browns made there way in from the river (which is stocked and has no wild fish) it dumps into and decided they liked it. Stayed and started reproducing. Most of the upper is all private now, so I'm not sure if there are any brookies left. There are none in the open part of the upper.

Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Pennypacker is just saying fish somewhere else already.

I know you all are NOT referring to me. And if you are...it's out of complete ignorance. In any event, just because we were discussing the stream and it's changes, how does that imply that we don't ever fish anywhere else? That's just goofy... And of course we're not going to name the stream. We'd get 100s of nasty PMs with death threats if we did that. And anyway, as Shane said, we both live in OH, so the creek is obviously on the other side of the state from you two...it's not like you're going to come over and check it out. Especially when you have a hundred creeks just like it right in your own backyards. Stop being cranky and play nice Chaz...

Posted on: 2013/6/15 8:43

From Ohio
Well said Patrick. And I too fish tons of other streams, just about all of them a LOT more than this one.

And it's not like the creek isn't already well known, because it is. It's been talked about a good bunch by others on this forum.

Funny, I came across a guy(who wasn't fishing) on the stream before and asked if I was catching brookies or browns. I told him as far as I know there are no brookies in this creek, it's all browns. He said there's lots of brookies in there. I just went my merry way catching browns. I also know of a guide who grew up on that creek(same guy?), hmmm. Might have to ask him about the brookies.

Anyways, to sum up the thread, streams change

Posted on: 2013/6/15 9:56

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:

The upper part of that creek was full of brookies 30 years ago (one of the guys I guide with grew-up on this creek). The browns made there way in from the river (which is stocked and has no wild fish) it dumps into and decided they liked it. Stayed and started reproducing. Most of the upper is all private now, so I'm not sure if there are any brookies left. There are none in the open part of the upper.

Patrick, you obviously havn't read the spawning bows thread. Stocked trout can't reproduce and establish populations. there must have been browns there since the 20's or a WBT pop in the watershed that moved into that stream. }TIC{

Posted on: 2013/6/15 11:27

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com