Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Honey Bugs

From York, PA
Over the years I've read about Honey Bugs and how well they worked but never used them. I picked up a few colors of yarn at the fly shop in Williamsport (Hille's?) and tied up a few in each of the colors. Does anyone have a suggestion on what color works best? Yeah, I know, "depends" and "the fish usually make that determination", but in general any favorites?

Posted on: 2008/1/10 16:52

Re: Honey Bugs

From Westmoreland Co
I don't use them very often but I have some friends that swear by them. Their favorite color is typically cream. I'm not sure what exactly it's supposed to represent but one could guess a crane fly larva perhaps? Either way I have caught fish on this fly though it's not usually in my repertoire to throw.

Posted on: 2008/1/10 17:13

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
caddis larvas, crane fly larvas, any worm like critter, as in midges..ty them in all colors....

Posted on: 2008/1/10 17:51

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Lewistown
When I worked at Hillie's, the most popular colors sold were cream, yellow, and the peach color.

I don't get it, nor do I have any idea what it's supposed to represent. But, I used to sell the stuff all the time. They look like a begining tier try to tie a wolly worm using crappy materials and, without hackle.

People swear by them, but you'll never see one on the end of my line.

Posted on: 2008/1/10 18:01

From LV
Creamy yellow is what I would call it, but lime green also works very well.

Posted on: 2008/1/10 18:09

From Dallastown, PA
Trent,

Try a 50/50 bleach solution and use a toothpick to bleech the bottom of the darker colors. Makes them two tone. Or darken the top side with a marker.

They work cuz they look like bait.

Dip the yellow ones in green giant juice for extre special results.

Posted on: 2008/1/10 18:40

From Lewistown
Maurice,
You use honey bugs?
And how did you ever think of those variations?

Posted on: 2008/1/10 18:43

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

MKern wrote:
Maurice,
You use honey bugs?
And how did you ever think of those variations?

I don't use them but I have in the past. I learned about them from a fly shop in SH of Pgh. I used to help the owner with tying classes and he would always go on about how good they were and all these variations. Except for the corn juice joke...thats all mine.

Here is another. Tie two pieces in an "X" pattern and singe the ends for a maggot cluster.

Posted on: 2008/1/10 18:48

From Bozeman
Not familiar with this pattern, except from hearing the name here and there. Off to the search engines I go.

Posted on: 2008/1/10 19:12

From Lewistown
honey bug

This is the hille's page for the honey bug kit.
There is a fly in the in the right corner of the kit.

It's basically a fluffy weenie, or a woolyworm w/o a hackle.
The tail is just the tag of the core of the honey bug chenelle.

Posted on: 2008/1/10 19:28

From Schwenksville
Maurice,
I just saw a San Juan Worm Cluster pattern tied like the maggot only with 2-4 more pieces of chenelle. Now that's bait.

Posted on: 2008/1/10 19:41

From Emigrant, Mt
When I was a kid and just learning to fly fish some, actually many, of my early fish were caught on honey bugs. We used all different colors, but greenish or yellowish ones worked real well. So did peach colored ones.

As far as what do they imatate goes, there are lots of grubs, both aquatic and terestrial, that they look like. Crane fly larvas come to mind.

When you have a very cheap and easy patern that catches fish, what's the problem?

Posted on: 2008/1/10 22:07

I, like Maurice learned from what I believe was the same fly shop he mentioned. Oddly enough I too helped him with fly tying classes. These honey bugs WORK! Most productive color for me has been the cream although I caught a 5 lb. brown on the Ausable River NY on the grey/pink. That is the grey honey bug yarn with the bleach on the underside which turns it a pink color. It was hooked up on the second cast! They are embarasingly easy to tie, very unimpressive looking and they catch more fish than any other nymph pattern that I have ever tried.

Posted on: 2008/1/11 9:16

One of the deadliest summertime dusk flies I ever ran across is a leech fly tied with the leech fur material only.Looked gross but in the water came alive.That would catch fish bang,bang ,bang when the evening feed was on.
Too generic for Eastern tastes probably but worth a try if you want to be the one grinnin' and driving the purists crazy.

Posted on: 2008/1/11 9:19

From York, PA
Thanks, I appreciate the information. I'll try the lighter colors. The Hille's kit was actually what I bought. What a great shop for tying materials!

When I went to drop them in the flybox I saw the green weenies in there and that's what made me think about color. Does a trout think a green weenie looks like a bloated inchworm? Don't know, but at certain times and places that thing works great, especially as a teaser fly up front.

Maurice, Maurice, Maurice. I should have known. Corn Juice. I learned about the green weenie at a TU meeting too. Maybe I'll try some of that canned smoked oyster goo on those.

Posted on: 2008/1/11 10:30

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com