HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Honey Bugs

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

troutbert wrote:

I'm guessing that yarn was from the Little Lehigh Fly Shop, and was dyed by Don Douple. Am I right?

Not exactly. It was dyed at the Little Lehigh Fly Shop by Rod and myself. The exact dye is no longer available in smaller packages, so a substitute mix was used. Don still has a jar of the correct color dye, but he no longer lives in PA, so we were on our own. He did tell us how to mix a substitute for that color, but it took a lot of trial and error to get it exactly right.

Sylvaneous - We feel that is one of the reasons for the effectiveness of honeybug yarn - it seems to get caught in the fish's teeth, and might give the angler a split second longer to detect the strike. It has outfished the green weenie for me. I think the fish take it for a caddis larva, but who knows....

Posted on: 2008/1/13 21:39

From bucks cty
I stopped by Mainstream Outfitters (Doylestown) yesterday and they had the cotton chenile in stock.

Posted on: 2008/1/14 6:56

Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Quote:

troutbert wrote:

I'm guessing that yarn was from the Little Lehigh Fly Shop, and was dyed by Don Douple. Am I right?

Not exactly. It was dyed at the Little Lehigh Fly Shop by Rod and myself. The exact dye is no longer available in smaller packages, so a substitute mix was used. Don still has a jar of the correct color dye, but he no longer lives in PA, so we were on our own. He did tell us how to mix a substitute for that color, but it took a lot of trial and error to get it exactly right.

Sylvaneous - We feel that is one of the reasons for the effectiveness of honeybug yarn - it seems to get caught in the fish's teeth, and might give the angler a split second longer to detect the strike. It has outfished the green weenie for me. I think the fish take it for a caddis larva, but who knows....

The color looks right. You did a good job of dyeing it. I think they take it both as caddis larvae, and as inchworms. When you are out fishing and see inchworms hanging on threads from trees, that fly is very effective.

Posted on: 2008/1/14 7:26

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
heritage is that real cotton chenelle??? it doesnt look like cotton..
joe get all you can its not going to last.
The origanal came in 2 sizes, and were tied on 3906 hooks..you could leave a piece of core for a tail if you wanted, but they mostly imitated larva of some sorts..the real cotton chenille will not get caught in the teeth..it does soak up water though very nicely..

Attach file:

jpg  DSCN7077.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  DSCN7080.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  DSCN7078.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2008/1/14 7:52

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From bucks cty
I remember when there was a fad that velcro got caught of bass's teeth.r Someone sold a lot of rubber worms with velcro for a year or two. Then it faded. Maybe there is a hot fly in there somewhere Sandfly? Maybe the velcro Caddis?

Posted on: 2008/1/14 9:45

From Lehigh Valley
sandfly - it is 100% cotton chenille. Not hard to find at all - just do a google search. I have both sizes of the original honeybug yarn (un-dyed), and the stuff I used on that Honeybug Inchworm is an even bigger size. Most of the bulk yarn I have is the bigger size of the original honeybug yarn. There is a sizing system that the industry uses, but off the top of my head I forget what the sizes are.
I'll be stopping in to your shop in May when I'm on vacation up your way, and I'll bring you a skein of the un-dyed stuff. You do a great job of helping the folks on this board get answers, and you'd be the perfect person to help keep the honeybug tradition alive........Ed

Posted on: 2008/1/14 17:08

Does anyone remember the name of the original Honey Bug man? I used to know but forgot. I vaguely recall him tying them at the sportsmans show in Harrisburg. Back around 1969 or so....

As I recall he was from Trout Run, PA. Nice name for a home address. It's up north of Williamsport.

Posted on: 2008/1/14 19:24

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Does anyone remember the name of the original Honey Bug man? I used to know but forgot. I vaguely recall him tying them at the sportsmans show in Harrisburg. Back around 1969 or so....

As I recall he was from Trout Run, PA. Nice name for a home address. It's up north of Williamsport.

Paul Berger

Posted on: 2008/1/14 19:51

From Greensburg, PA
When I first moved back to PA (1994) there was a fly shop in Jeannette, Pa...the guy there was big into steelhead..he sold me this and this s the chenille I use I tie them with...

Posted on: 2008/1/14 20:08

From Lewistown
I have $30 gift certificates to hille's. I might pick up a spool if I have any money left over. Maybe I can be made a believer!?!?

Posted on: 2008/1/14 20:11

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com