Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Honey Bugs

The orange color makes a very nice egg pattern. You just tie it in, make a couple wraps, to form a round egg shape, and tie it off. Make the egg about the size of a pea. The color is very close to that of natural trout eggs, so it's good for wild trout fishing. The pink color also is good as a trout pattern. Both are good for steelhead, and I think they are easier to tie than Glo Bugs.

The chenille is also good for tying Wooly Buggers. It is cotton so it absorbs water and plumps up making a juicier looking fly than the synthetic chenilles.

Posted on: 2008/1/11 11:02

Can anybody post a link to Hillie's or to a picture and tying instructions for the honey bug? I'd love the same for Walt's Worm as well.

Posted on: 2008/1/11 12:08

From York, PA
www.anglersupplyhouse.com

They have one of the best selections of tying materials I have seen. Well worth the stop if you are passing through South Williamsport. Right on 15 a block or so down from the Little League Hall of Fame.

Really its just a piece of chenille tied around a hook shank. at the back above the bend of the hook you pluck out a few strands of the chenille core thread so it has a little wiggle. Troutbert indicated it is a cotton base rather than synthetic. It does plump up like he indicated and looks "globby" underwater.

Quite a concept.

Posted on: 2008/1/11 12:41

From Lewistown
The online shop has very little compared to the store itself. It has the largest supply of tying material of any store I've been in. Plus they things that you can only buy from hille's.
It is under new ownership, so I don't know if changes are in teh wind.

Posted on: 2008/1/11 13:39

From chester ct
When I moved back to PA in the 70's, honeybugs were all the rage on the Lil Lehi. These also work in plenty of other waters, such as the Beaverkill in NY and SPlatte in CO.

The distinguishing thing about HB's is the cotton chenille, preferably the old original stash that Jack Mickievich has. The original stuff is unsized so that the cotton wets right up and plumps up, looking very buggy and translucently buggy. No synthetic does the same thing.

I've thought of trying to get the same effect with various dubbings and one winter tied up a bunch. I don't recall ever putting them to the test, though. Some year maybe, when I ever learn to nymph.

Out here in SE PA, French Creek Outfitters and the Lil Lehi shop stock this original stuff.

tl
les

Posted on: 2008/1/11 16:11

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
there is only one spool of oringinal honey bug left. its not made any more, my supplier has it, sells to hilles too..once its gone it will never be around again, I'll have all the colors in by spring. hes still dying some..I'll post directions on my web site this weekend..

Posted on: 2008/1/11 18:07

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Monessen, PA
Something tells me if there is a demand for the material, there will be more manufactured. Otherwise, you will still be able to bid on it at Sotheby's.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/1/11 19:16

From Pittsburgh
Maurice and ABRod- - I took the tying class at Tony's shop in 1984 or 1985. Maybe one of you guys taught me?
Anyway, we didn't tie it for the class for some odd reason.
But I remember Tony talking about it alot.
I have never tied one - I was pretty much fishing strictly dry flies back then already.
I always thought it imitated corn also

Posted on: 2008/1/11 21:10

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
here it is....

Attach file:

jpg  DSCN7025.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  DSCN7024.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2008/1/12 16:56

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Harrisburg PA
I think I'm going crazy, does anyone have a image of this fly?

----ok never mind, page 2 of 2,, wow step away from the tap jason, just step away----

please disregard

Posted on: 2008/1/12 23:19

From Lehigh Valley
Always thought that the original honeybugs were a bit shorter, but this is my favorite:[img]Photobucket[/img]

Posted on: 2008/1/13 2:44

From SW PA
So, it's a fuzzy weenie? That really doesn't sound good.
JH

Posted on: 2008/1/13 18:35

From Lewistown
The orginal instructions call for the cotton to be stripped from the core thread. The core thread gives the fly a "tail."
To me it looks like to gave a young kid who has never tied a hook and some yarn to play with.

I still don't get it.

Posted on: 2008/1/13 18:59

Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Always thought that the original honeybugs were a bit shorter, but this is my favorite:[img]Photobucket[/img]

I'm guessing that yarn was from the Little Lehigh Fly Shop, and was dyed by Don Douple. Am I right?

Posted on: 2008/1/13 19:36

Honeybugs represent eggs from spawning fish, mostly suckers. That's why they are so killer from late Feb to April. Sucker Spawn and honey bugs fit in the same part of the food chain, or fly box. I stick with the much harder to tie sucker spawn. (What could be easier than wrapping pale yellow cenille around a hook?) becasue the angora yarn loops stick in the trout's teeth and make for much better hook up ratios.

Syl

Posted on: 2008/1/13 21:10

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com