Hit the tipping point today.

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Some of you can joke all you want, I've seen this be a touchy subject for years but it's starting to get to be enough anymore.

I've had homeless harass me while fishing. I've had "thugs" eye me up while fishing. I had one guy I KNOW for a fact, size me up on spring creek in Harrisburg. I've had some hill jacks that we're getting a bit to friendly and won't go away etc etc etc. urban fishing used to be okay but today anymore people are getting too crazy anymore.

I was at Bonnybrook today and fished for awhile. Upon returning (walking over the bridge) I heard a bang and yelling. I get to to lot and a silver car with a woman in the drivers seat ,a man in the passenger and two teenage girls in the back. The guy appeared to be reaching back and whaling on the one girl. I yelled hey and dropped my rod. He looked at me and then they took off. I didn't get the plate number but it did have a logo (company car) on the side. I scrambled to get my gear in the car and go after them but I never caught up. I looked up the company on google and the man is the owner. I called the police and they are looking into it. It's getting crazy out there and I'm about tired of being unprepared. How many times does it take before I'm the one in a serious situation.

It's a figgin shame that a "I'm not gonna carry" person is considering turning into "rather be prepared" type of guy because the world is just so f'd up.

As low as the odds of something bad happening are it appears more and more people a starting to feel the same as you Sal. Maybe even myself a bit.

Panic only occurs when your not prepared.

There is no right or wrong here, I say. Preparation makes sense to me. But a weapon is no guarantee of survival. Fearlessness, I say, is the ultimate quality and is available when we are adept at peace and joy.

But in the meantime....

It's better to have and not need than need and not have.

I must have missed that event. You grow a beard Brian?

Boyer

Christ.

We live in a crazy world and #censor# like that just goes to prove it.

Like Brookiechaser said "It's better to have and not need than need and not have." On that note, thats why I conceal carry my .45acp when I leave the house. I have zero intentions of ever needing it, but when I do, Id rather have it on me then not have it.

Ask yourself, How would things have gone differently if you were carrying? I think you did exactly the right thing. You made the guy aware of your presence and alerted the police.

Nothing would have been different if he was carrying. In that situation it isnt necessary to pull a gun. While carrying, the carrier must know pulling the conceal firearm is LAST RESORT. But what if the guy instead of fleeing, got out of his car with a weapon? Like brookie chaser said, better to have it and not need it.

I couldn't see Sal pulling the gun in this situation unless the dude clearly put his life in jeopardy. And Sal, thanks for having the courage to yell out. Hope the ladies are okay.

Yes Boyer that was me.

Lol, I walked away and said to my buddy. "Not sure, but I think that was Sal with a beard... ." Nice talking to ya, man. Sorry you had to deal with the parking lot situation. Glad I missed that part of the day.

Boyer

Will be interested to know if you hear back from police. We've reported a few things over the years and rarely get any follow up.
I don't quite understand from your description what you actually think was happening in the van.

I've run into homeless camps many times while out and about. I felt uneasy but never threatened. Even ran into some unusual homeless/drug using happening in of all places downtown Bellefonte.

I've 'carried' on every outting I've ever been on the past 20 years probably. Never once had to pull except on a bear once and that wasn't even really warranted. Just a precaution. Hopefully I never do but I am grateful that I have the opportunity to protect myself the fullest expect should i ever need to. You're right....it's crazy out there.

Fox,

The "man" was hitting the girl. In all honesty if I don't get a follow up I'll lose faith in the police force. The "man" in question is a business owner in 3 counties and given his business and who it is, it would be a huge scandal. I can see the want to sweep it under a rug but the need of a minor is far greater.

Your only a victim when you let yourself be

- ME

Let me ask you gents that carry something. When you conceal carry, do you have the clip in, one in the chamber, and you are ready to go....or have the clip in but would need to put one in the chamber if something occurred?

I have a handgun and the safety is a secondary trigger built into the trigger. I don't conceal carry, but always wondered if people walk around with it ready to fire or would need to maneuver the slide quickly.

I cannot imagine how it would feel to go out in the world each day thinking I need to carry a firearm. The psychological change to ones self in relation to others is why I am most saddened.

Pocketwater, usually I carry with magazine in but nothing chambered, regardless of if the firearm I am carrying has a safety or not. This is how a lot of people I know who carry do it as well.

huntfish wrote:
Pocketwater, usually I carry with magazine in but nothing chambered, regardless of if the firearm I am carrying has a safety or not. This is how a lot of people I know who carry do it as well.
Thanks for the response huntfish. That is what I assumed. I wouldn't feel comfortable at all if there was a hot one in the chamber as I walked around but didn't know if people actually did that or not. I'm considering getting my permit, but live right on the North Side of Pittsburgh where I've seen some crazy #censor# going on. Mostly pretty quiet at my house, but did have a junky on heroin show up on my front porch last year, trying to get in my front door as me and the wife and daughter played a board game. Took the cops 7 minutes to show up and cuff and stuff the guy, who had stripped down naked on my porch and began urinating. Crazy assed people out there.

Back