Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Hickory Run in the Fall

I have been peppered with bird shot three times - once with a newbie I was hunting with, once when someone I wasn't hunting with shot at a bird I flushed, and once while walking along a road. Nothing serious, but it does hurt. Have heard bullets/shot whistle too close for comfort a few times.

When I was in HS one of my classmates caught a broadhead while working in his garden. Was in the hospital a long time.

Most hunters are OK, but there are nuts out there. Wear orange, fish Sundays, or go where hunting isn't allowed.

Posted on: 2006/11/16 15:56

From Greensburg, PA
That's funny. I didn't even notice Did he email you back?

Posted on: 2006/11/16 18:37

First off, based on national statistics, recreational fishing is more dangerous then hunting. The injury rate is about 6 times higher and the fatality rate about 3 time higher for fishing. Furthermore, in most states hunters are required to take a hunter safety course before they can purchase a license. This small amount of training has had a significant effect in reducing hunting accidents. In addition, nearly all hunting accidents involve just hunters. The incidents of a non-hunter being involved are extremely rare.

That being said, its still not a bad idea to wear some bright colors when there are a lot of hunters in the area, like the opening day of deer season. Although anglers are not required to wear blaze orange, it is a courtesy to hunters to make yourself visible. Nobody wants to shoot someone by accident so its helpful for the hunter if they know where you are. Believe it or not, nearly all hunters have passed on a shot when it was not safe. There is no need to be scared to death because you see a hunter. Just remember, drive safely. Its far more hazardous then hunting, fishing and sky diving combined.

Posted on: 2006/11/16 20:45

From Southeast PA
tomgamber: I didn't send "Dumb@$$" the e-mail. I don't need any more dumb@$$es in my life!

Gone4Day: Your point is well taken, but I suspect you are talking about numbers of injuries and fatalities, not rates. Rates would be based on, for example, number of hours engaged in the activity. I would think that sky diving would have a much higher fatality rate than the other activities. In other words, my risk of getting killed during 100 hours of sky diving would be much greater than during 100 hours of driving. This is pretty important as far as determining how hazardous the activity is.

(So much for Hickory Run )

Posted on: 2006/11/17 8:15

Quote:

Wulff-Man wrote:
Gone4Day: Your point is well taken, but I suspect you are talking about numbers of injuries and fatalities, not rates. Rates would be based on, for example, number of hours engaged in the activity. I would think that sky diving would have a much higher fatality rate than the other activities. In other words, my risk of getting killed during 100 hours of sky diving would be much greater than during 100 hours of driving. This is pretty important as far as determining how hazardous the activity is.

I'll try to find the web site with the data, but you are correct, the rate they used is injuries or fatalities per million participants and not how long it takes a sky diver to hit the ground. For driving, there are about 40,000 deaths per year among 200 million drivers for a fatality rate of 200 per million participants. Hunting came in just over 2 per million, fishing about 6 per million. I forget the exact number for sky diving, but it was less then such daredevil sports as golf.

Posted on: 2006/11/17 19:45

From LV
Then there are hunters who scope everything they see in the woods, a very bad thing to do, as for me I don't fish SGLs or SF's during the deer season and I don't fish on or near SLG's on Saturdays during the fall on other days I wear blaze orange. Now where's my hat?

Posted on: 2006/11/18 9:05

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com