Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Heron Scar?

From South central PA
I caught this brown today in the Barree Gorge section of the little J, it had that nasty looking hole behind of its head which I figured was from a heron. This is the first trout ive caught with anything like this and was just wondering what others thought it was?

Evan

Attach file:

jpg  heron scar.jpg (110.94 KB)
6092_5259e56e21f79.jpg 512X288 px

Posted on: 2013/10/12 20:15

Re: Heron Scar?

From Da 'Berg, PA
i think thats a lamprey bite.

heron scars tend to be across the back in my experience and tend to be a 'slash' like a knife cut.

Posted on: 2013/10/12 20:38

From Gettysburg
It could certainly be a heron scar but I don't think so. Heron scars are usually jagged edged puncture wounds on the upper part of a fish's back, usually near the dorsal. This wound looks more like some sort of a bacterial or parasitic lesion to me.
Hhmmm....

Posted on: 2013/10/12 20:39

From Da 'Berg, PA
Resized Image

that is a lamprey bite above.

Posted on: 2013/10/12 20:52

From South central PA
Thanks guys, like i said, ive never caught anything that had marks like that and it looks similar to geebees photo of a lamprey scar. Question is, are they in the little J?

Posted on: 2013/10/12 21:27

From Da 'Berg, PA
i believe lampreys are indigenous - the problem has been with the invasive sea lampreys which are much bigger and have exploded in the great lakes.

in lake champlain in VT they have decimated the lake trout population and have spread to MA rivers - i saw one on the Squannacook and it was huge and black and i nearly soiled myself before i realized what it was (i thought it was a snake..) LOL

Posted on: 2013/10/12 22:04

From Hunker
Well if there in the J than I'm stearing clear. I doubt they are though. Those lampreys are nasty creatures, ever see that episode of river monsters and he stuck it on his neck? Gasp

Posted on: 2013/10/12 22:23
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

From cambria county
Im not sure what caused that. i have seen that before, but in each case i noticed a thorn looking thing sticking out of the middle of the scar. i could never figure out what caused it. it appears your fish may have something similar, but its hard to tell. this is a shot in the dark, but could it be a broken talon from a heron that remains stuck after the heron grabs the fish and ends up getting infected?

btw, how did the j fish? im sure it was good, my brother and i fished a small limestone in the vicinity of that area thats normally pretty tough and had one of our best days of fishing since june. water level and visibility were prime.

Posted on: 2013/10/12 23:00

I've heard Mike talk of lampreys in the Susquehanna.

I would assume they're in the Juniata.

I agree with those that say lamprey bite. Herons, and other birds of prey, usually attack near the dorsel fin from my observations.

Posted on: 2013/10/12 23:05
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From South central PA
If it was parasitic could that be the reason it looks malnourished? It was about 16" and skinny. Typically the trout i catch in the j are fairly fat, and healthy looking. There wasnt anything in the hole as i could see.

Evw659, it was pretty dirty this morning yet, running well but dirty, by tomorrow it should be fairly clear and fish well. I was throwing big steamers, i wasnt about to try and nymph it at that point.

Evan

Posted on: 2013/10/12 23:10

I would say that's an accurate assumption on the malnourishment.

Posted on: 2013/10/12 23:56
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Da 'Berg, PA
Yeah sea lampreys are blood suckers. The clamp on with rows of tiny teeth and then suck the fishes blood out through a bone tube.

That would be horrible for the fish. I'm not sure that most survive, I'd guess your fish was on the way out sadly...much larger fish can survive but not always.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IgrOK_83 ... 2Fwatch%3Fv%3DIgrOK_831DY

Nature can be a bitch sometimes huh.

Posted on: 2013/10/13 0:48

I do not believe there are lampreys in the LJR. I have caught a number of trout over the years with similar wounds, and they have all been from streams where herons are found. I am one who does believe these wounds are due to herons.

Posted on: 2013/10/13 9:37

From Monessen, PA
Paintball fishing is the culprit.

Posted on: 2013/10/13 9:46

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Quote:

Ebrant10 wrote:
I caught this brown today in the Barree Gorge section of the little J, it had that nasty looking hole behind of its head which I figured was from a heron. This is the first trout ive caught with anything like this and was just wondering what others thought it was?

Evan

I would bet a 20 that I've caught that fish before. Were you just above the first train trestle? I thought it looked like a leach mark.

Posted on: 2013/10/13 11:34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com