Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Heron Scar?
From Gettysburg
Yeah, I'm not sure about any lamprey species in the LJR. There are sea lampreys in the Erie watershed (of course) and the Delaware.

It might be a Least Brook Lamprey which, according to the PFBC website, occurs in PA in the lower Susquehanna watershed. For such a species to get to the LJR it would have to traverse many dams. I have never personally seen or heard anyone referring to lampreys in that area. Would be interested to hear Mike's views on lamprey distribution across PA.

Least Brook Lamprey

Posted on: 2013/10/13 14:20

From South central PA
Money says you did fiveweight, it was about 20 yards on the barree side of the first bridge along the rock wall. Took my slumpbuster hard and made a couple good jumps. Seemed like he had a lot of fight in him.

Posted on: 2013/10/13 16:24

From Mount Joy, PA
Chewing tobacco, no doubt. I always knew that stuff would rot a hole in a lip/cheek!

In all seriousness, it sounds like it could be a number of different things. Could even be an infection from a foul hooking/bad hookset.

Posted on: 2013/10/13 17:56

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Quote:

Ebrant10 wrote:
Money says you did fiveweight, it was about 20 yards on the barree side of the first bridge along the rock wall. Took my slumpbuster hard and made a couple good jumps. Seemed like he had a lot of fight in him.

And that boys n girls is what's cool about C & R. Awesome. I caught him just up stream of the bridge along the wall. What a flip! Hang of a fight for me also. OI thought it was a much larger fish. He hit a brown bugger for me.

Posted on: 2013/10/13 19:42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

From South central PA
That is pretty awesome fiveweight, how long ago did you catch it?

Posted on: 2013/10/13 21:34

Quote:

evw659 wrote:
Im not sure what caused that. i have seen that before, but in each case i noticed a thorn looking thing sticking out of the middle of the scar. i could never figure out what caused it. it appears your fish may have something similar, but its hard to tell. this is a shot in the dark, but could it be a broken talon from a heron that remains stuck after the heron grabs the fish and ends up getting infected?

btw, how did the j fish? im sure it was good, my brother and i fished a small limestone in the vicinity of that area thats normally pretty tough and had one of our best days of fishing since june. water level and visibility were prime.

If you see a "thorn looking thing" sticking out of a wound it is a spine from a smallmouth bass. Usually these wounds are located near the pectoral fin. I see them regularly on streams that have both wild brown trout and smallmouth bass.

For the wound in the photo, my guess is that it is from a water snake. Definitely not a lamprey, great blue heron or kingfisher. Leech is a good guess, too.

Posted on: 2013/10/14 6:46

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Quote:

Ebrant10 wrote:
That is pretty awesome fiveweight, how long ago did you catch it?

I think it was the Friday before Labor Day weekend.

Posted on: 2013/10/14 14:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

If there is something thing "sticking out of the wound," then it is possible that the wound was caused originally by an anchor worm (anchor parasite...look it up), and the original wound became infected.

Posted on: 2013/10/14 21:02

From Chester County

Quote:

Mike wrote:
If there is something thing "sticking out of the wound," then it is possible that the wound was caused originally by an anchor worm (anchor parasite...look it up), and the original wound became infected.

Interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lernaea

Posted on: 2013/10/15 5:31

From Johnstown, PA
.22 LR hollow point?

Posted on: 2013/10/15 8:00

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com