Here's what you get for not spot burning!

Alpabuck

Alpabuck

http://www.americanrivers.org/

One of your rivers could be next because you had to much pride/selfishness to talk about it!

I really don't think we need another thread on it, but nearly everyone has agreed that if a river is in any danger, it should be discussed extensively.

It would be great if we could just stick to the fact that two PA rivers are on the top 10 most endangered and steer folks to the site to take action instead of yet another thread on spot burning. Take the high road folks, don't get sucked in and let's focus on the task at hand . . . protecting our waters. It's easy. It's all pre-populated and its all online. PA legislatures have sponsored some very proactive bills to address some of the concerns. They ARE listening on this subject so everyone do what you can to try to protect against damages from the fracturing process. Legislators are listening given the oil issues in the Gulf, the spills/explosions in NY and PA with the natural gas wells.

I'm pointing out #1 on that list every day. Hello!

So because it's the Delaware and not some little trickle it doesn't need to be talked about?

I hate how no one gives the D any respect. It's the best wild trout river in the country in many folks minds.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/where-fish-trout/2010/03/deeter-upper-delaware-river-best-all-around-fly-fishing-river-usa

But here in PA it gets no love, people would rather go catch 50 of the dumbest fish ever out Spring or Penns but wont challenge themselves to fish big water where they might get skunked. If it were Spring or Penns on this list there would be a huge out cry from people on here. Shame!!!!

Take notice to the first link the Mon is on the list as well..... more big water nobody cares out!

SN....I love the pic!

Sight and I are both HUGE proponents of the D (more Sight than me), so not sure what that is all about. I don't see where anyone is not caring about the D here. My post encourages folks to get involved in helping protect it rather than making it a spot burn issue. The D is an amazing fishery and more importantly an incredibly indispensable natural resource providing drinking water to around 10 million people.

In most cases I dont see the love for the D that other PA rivers get and that needs to change!

LMAO. Thanks.

The D is our only true blue ribbon trout fishery in the east. It's also a very beautiful place to visit. It's got many, many things going against it. Hate to be selfish but I'd love to fish it for the next 25-30 yrs and would like others to experience the beauty and great fishing. It's sucker to trout ratio is just slightly better than........ you know what I was going to write. :)

There was a thread with a link to contact your reps about the D a few weeks ago. A few people chimed in, and I provided a letter template that some of us used.

Not really sure what you're talking about. Of course people care about the delaware. It has nothing to do with spring or penns creek.

And yeah, we don't need another "spot burning" thread.

The good news for all parties is that the grass root efforts to regulate MS drilling in PA are not river specific, rather issue specific, thus big and small waters get protected. The threat to both PA listed endangered rivers is MS drilling and the many exemptions they enjoy from clean water / clean air acts.

The D and surrounding Catskill rivers are simply amazing. Maybe the proximity of the PAFF membership to central and western PA waters causes the favoritism for those waters? Not sure if that holds water or not because D is closer to greater metro Philly than any of the north central PA streams.

At any rate, I agree the D is not discussed/represented as well as central PA streams, however I am simply encouraging the momentum of this thread to be taking action versus spot burn discussions.

I must say. This thread is very, very reminiscent of the LJ days.

:)

The great spot burning debate of 2010, seriously I think people are starting to miss LJ. I guess it has gotten a little too quiet since he has been gone.

By LJ, do you mean "Little John"? Yeeeaaaahhh. Whaaaaat?

I'm hoping that having a fall jam in Hancock will expose some people for the first time to that region. Maybe they'll find it a beautiful and wonderful as I do. Where else can you get chased by a bear one day and get chased by 40 drift boats the next day?
Seriously, the Catskills and Upper Delaware area is an awesome place.

Judging from Alpa's strong feelings, he'll be at the mini jam in Sept on the D..... right? You can help first timers catch their first Delaware River Rocket.

That is what I'm aiming for!

Traditionally flyfishing in PA has largely revolved around central PA and the region the Chamber of Commerce now calls "The PA Wilds". Perhaps this explains why the Big D does not seem to get the respect it deserves on this site. If this were NYflyfishdotcom, the Delaware would be a central focus - the meeting place of the "Jam". The Delaware is traditionally considered a Catskill River and therefore within the orbit of the Manhatten Flyfishing tradition. It is one of the rivers of Gordon, rather than Marinaro.

It's early to say but I really hope to be there.

mainly for abuck: Those are all famous streams. What you say is not likely, except for Marcellus Shale problems. I think all streams are in trouble over that. Otherwise, not probable.

Tups,
I understand that but it parallels the PA border. I am on a Catskill forum in addition to this one. Just 20 minutes east of the border is pretty much the birth place of American fly fishing. Very rich history of fly fishing and legends came from there. I'm not discounting what Charlie and Vince did on the Letort but there were those that came before. All have contributed to get the sport where it is today. If I never met Bob Clouser, I probably wouldn't be fishing today. If I didn't fish every week for 6 months with Art Lee, I may not really know much about fishing in the Catskill area or even go there today. Maybe I'm just being selfish but it only takes one train car to derail or one gas rig accident to destroy the fishery that took decades to build. I don't want to see that happen but fear it's close at hand. That may be why I've stepped up the amount of trips to the Catskills over the last 2 years from one 4 day trip per year to 30-40 days per year. It's a 3+ hour drive for me in each direction and I'm not doing it every month because it's an "OK" fishery. I'll put it up against anything east of the Mississippi and up against many streams west of that. It is a true jewel.

Where is the closest place where you can catch wild bows like this one?

Attachments

• Copy of Lower East Branch x.JPG
    Copy of Lower East Branch x.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 3
Everyone seems to really love their local trout streams.

Back