Help! I'm a failure.

gaeronf

gaeronf

I haven't caught a trout [on purpose] in over three months. I haven't caught a trout in about 2 months. Whenever I go fishing I always end up troutless. And, for some reason, I notice that hardware always out-fishes me. I am starting to get very discouraged because I've tried nymphing nymphs, soft hackles, streamers, buggers, I've tried swinging and stripping and down and accross and there is just too many to name. I've tried every nymph known to man; hare's ears, pt's, scuds, hoglouses, walts worms, eggs, various worm flies...And I just feel like a failure. And I hate failing. Could someone give me any advice, people say to not get discouraged but it's very hard when you are in a big slump [that you've never been out of].

No worries guy, I have been in a trout slump for a few months. I have been hooking fish but my knots are failing. Just last week I hooked a bruiser brown an my knot to the fly failed. Lets just say with all the skunked trips I have been having, that big brownie was the straw that broke the camels back. After losing that fish I looked to the heavens and promptly sent my rod into the shallow reaches of outerspace. All I can say is don't get down on yourself, keep pluggin away. Sooner or later your luck will turn around,(at least that's what I keep telling myself) an fall trout fishing is tough, keep your head up. An if all else fails hit the vise an stock your box for winter season an the spring which will be here before you know it.

You got what I had in July and August of this year. I couldn't catch a smb with c4!

No luck at the lake?
I believe you are the gentlemen that stated he was 14?
Would seem that you need to get with some old codger at least 25 or so that can show the truth.
99% of being a good fisherman is letting the water talk to you.
The other 1 % is gimmickry ......

pete41 wrote:

This is the first time I have ever 100% understood and agreed with you Pete. The water will talk to you... eventually.

Hang in there. There is quite a learning curve with fly fishing. If you can find a mentor, it will go a long way. We have all been where you are. It's frustrating and at times we have all wanted to quit. Be persistent. And yes, quite often, hardware out-fishes fly gear. But, we fly fish because we love it, not because it is more productive than other methods. Although I have spinning gear, etc. nothing is as satisfying as tying flies and tricking fish into taking them. It took years to start getting it down. It will take many more years to feel I have mastered it (if I ever do). Stick with it. Someday you look back and be glad you did!

pete41 wrote:
No luck at the lake?
I believe you are the gentlemen that stated he was 14?
Would seem that you need to get with some old codger at least 25 or so that can show the truth.
The other 1 % is gimmickry ......

Pete, yes I am the one who stated (and is) 14. Yes, I do need a mentor, but by 25 shouldn't they be in an old folks home? And by then its too much work. :) I don't think anyone that fly fishes on this forum is close to me, or fishes near me [often].

I fished nearly a mile of water today, a crap-ton of awesome holding water where 300 rainbows were float stocked less than 1 week ago and ended up with two fish. One was accidentally caught when I was yanking on a snagged fly on the bottom, the dropper fly above (partridge and orange) was dancing in the column and when I broke off the bugger I had a fish on the other fly.

Just keep doing what you normally do and it will turn around. However, when in a slump, thats a good time to change/try new tactics. Pick up a book, learn a new technique and try it....hey getting skunked trying is no worse than the funk yer in now.

Are you fishing for wild or stocked fish? If you're fishing for stockies, are you fishing a stream that is stocked in the fall also? If not there might not be any fish(or very few) in the stream in the first place. Also the fish might be spawning(even the stockies) also and are interested in other things instead. I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I'm around your age, and passed the learning curve for the most part, but definitely did not master fly fishing yet. I still have times were the fish don't cooperate and I feel very discouraged. Today for example. I fished a stream were I can see 30 or so right in front of my face, but only got 1 out of the 2 hours I was there. Just hang in there, the fish will come :)

Its not always about catching. Try some new techniques, practice some casting or try some flies you always wanted to use but never had much confidence in. Sometimes you have to do the exact opposite of what you would normally do. Dont let it ruin your outing, enjoy every second of your time on the stream, cause its brief. Your 14, the days you spend fishing you will remember the rest of your life, fish or no fish. Could be worse...you could be stuck in a cubicle. Just go with the flow, and dont be so hard on yourself, everyone gets in a funk.

are you enjoying your time?

yes? then who cares.
no? then you shouldn't try so hard.

pete's on to something. he's old, but wise. that's how he's managed to avoid death so damned long.

Wow, you guys are right. It is really enjoyable just to be out on the stream but I think what frustrates me is that deep down I know that the "goal" of fishing is to catch fish, and when I don't i get flustered. But maybe its not about the catching, maybe its about having fun and enjoying the experience...

gaeronf wrote:
Wow, you guys are right. It is really enjoyable just to be out on the stream but I think what frustrates me is that deep down I know that the "goal" of fishing is to catch fish, and when I don't i get flustered. But maybe its not about the catching, maybe its about having fun and enjoying the experience...

Being out is what its all about. Catching fish is a bonus. Consider the numbers caught at Stocktoberfest - eight total trout, I think, and that on a stream that was stocked less than a week ago. I can't imagine the combined angler-years represented there, but thats an extremely low trout per angler year ratio. I enjoyed the miles of stream I walked, and the time I spent streamside talking to Van_Cleaver, and getting to meet others from the board. I do admit that I got stubborn halfway through the morning and convinced myself I wasn't leaving an event called Stocktoberfest without catching a trout.

You mentioned that you don't think anyone is near you - given the number of people on here, I imagine someone has to live near you or at least fish near you on a regular basis.

If you define failure by the number of fish caught, then maybe your quest could be considered a failure in some form. However, you certainly haven't failed in persisting, or trying out many different types of flies or ways of fishing them. Eventually, the fish will come to hand, and hopefully sooner rather than later for you.

If it was all about catcing fish. we'd be using mealworms. The great thing about fly fishing is that you NEVER stop learning and getting better. Keep fishing. Evry time you go out, you're a little better than you were last time. And that's true of every fisherman on this forum.

Hi Gaeron,
Some good advice above.
This has been a rather tough couple months for fishing - very unstable weather and water levels up and down and back up again. I haven't exactly caught a bunch lately either and haven't caught a bass since, I think, August. Fall is a transition time and trout can move around - this is especially true with wild fish. Bass move a lot in the fall too. Don't get discouraged. Regarding hardware: with colder temps don't be surprised to see a spin guy really nailing 'em. When this is happening, it's good to see how high or low in the water column they're fishing and with what color lures. Often, a streamer fly of similar size and color will do well. But keep in mind that, most of the time, a good spin fisherman will out fish you. Get out an enjoy the autumn season and don't worry about your "slump." It's just fishing. You're not playing in the World Series and nobody is counting on you to catch fish.

I see, so it's just a wide spread kind of propaganda...I gotcha now.

A lot of sage advice in this thread. I would add, be positive! Picture fish inhaling your flies, and your rod bending, maybe laughing, smiling, etc. In fly fishing and most other facets of life, there is great power in positive thought, IMO. As a musician, whether doing an open mic, or a paid gig, I always like to tell myself,'' this is another opportunity to play well." If I make a mistake I just smile and carrry on as though everything is perfect. It is important to learn from your mistakes, but dwelling on them will lead to more negativity. Saturday I had my lowest number of trout on a local stream for the season, but had a great time meeting new people, and got some excellent excercise. It was also valuable in terms of shared imformation. That seemed much more important than a couple of trout. Life is short, so enjoy it! End of philosophy rant.

Gaeron,
Stay focused on things in life that matter. And fishing matters - catching fish....not so much.
In two or three more years your life is going to get a good bit more complicated, and not all in an entirely good way. Fishing will keep you grounded. When I was 14 I just loved fishing and was a pretty good fly fisher. Three or four years later I didn't know what to think about myself. If it wasn't for fishing and the outdoors and wild animals I don't know how I would have got through those miserable few years. That's not to say you'll experience the same. I think you're probably more mature and better grounded than I was when I was your age. Nevertheless, big changes are around the corner. Don't forget how much you love streams and fish and forests. I can go back today to the same streams I fished when I was 14 and just love to see how little they have changed. Streams and water are a foundation of your life and will keep flowing on. They have a certain form of permanence that outlasts temporary personal problems.
Someone your age would do well to keep this in mind.
It's rivers you love and need....not a number of fish caught every day.

I'd give anything to be 14 and not catching trout! :lol: Don't sweat the small stuff.

Back