Heavy Vest

JAD

JAD

How heavy is your Vest, Im getting older and my vest is getting heavier :) I would go to a hip bag except I'm afraid I would end up carrying both. I have tried to lighten the gear that I carry, but I truly need every thing in the fish pond vest I have. Buy the time I put waders boots and vest on then wading stick hat net rod then sun glasses, Im so worn out I have to sit down. I'm only a little bit over 62 and I hope I can wine like this when I'm 70. Mabe I should shut up these are good problems to have. :lol:

Thanks for listening
Winter shack nasties.

John

My vest is "2" heavy. And it's going to get heavier because I got a hydration pack to put in it. Last year several times I didn't carry enough water with me. WIth a hydration pack I don't need to fumble around with a bottle while I'm wading. Or at least that's the theory.

Have you tried any of the ones that put most of the weight on your hips instead of your back and shoulders?

I quit using a vest several years ago because the weight was killing my back. Who says you need a vest? Find a good small back pack with lumbar support. Then find yourself a samll pouch to wear around your neck that will hold the go to items.

Went from a vest to a chest pack years ago. Now I have several chest packs stocked differently for the different situation of the day. For example a small chest pack for smallmouth on the Susky or wherever, a small cp for small stream mountain fishing, a slightly bigger one for bigger trout water in the spring etc. I know the "I have to carry everything with me all the time" syndrome well, but you can beat it. In the last 8 or so years i have no had what I wanted maybe one time. I travel lighter and don't have that pack horse feeling.

my battenkill has 2 loops on the back witch i run my wading belt. pulls the vest down in the back and relieves the tension...Most fly fishers have to much in the front and end up leaning forward during the day and wonder why their back hurts at the end of the day.think about it how many times do you stand up straight to fish...add some weight in back with the loops you'll see a big difference...

Mine's heavy as hell, but the workout's probably good for me. I often have a multi mile hike to get anywhere near civilization and do not currently own nor possess a crystal ball, so I am prepared for any contingency that may arise. I pack some light snacks, and extra lighter, flashlight, more water than I think I'll need, GPS, Compass, some rope, 2 way radio, flyboxes, splitshot, floatant, sink, nail clippers, leatherman, combination scale/tape measure,and a few plastic bags. I also usually have my digital camera and my video camera as well. It's a little cumbersome occasionally, but hasn't been enough to tire me out on any but the longest days. Eventually I will have used most of these things, but if I don't that's allright with me, at least they are there if I need them.

Boyer

Spare reel spool-rigged with line,leader, tippet
spool of tippet material
one small plastic fly box-filled with seasonal flies.
Floatant
split shot
3 energy bars.
All of above fit nicely into cheap vest and inside pocket on waders or pockets in shirt or jacket.

Does help to carry a rod and reel after that ???????????????

I've sorted flies and labled boxes as most others. Take only what I need for the time of the year. Less is more and my Simms vest holds all the "stuff" for most situations.In my case its not the vest thats heavy its the extra pounds that I lug around.Being out of shape is the norm so I start walking a month before the season opens.

I went to a very small chestpack about two years ago. I did this to force myself to downsize the gear. I found this pack isn't enough for traveling and hike ins to unknown water, so I got a "chest vest" this year. It's just a larger chest pack with a pocket that goes behind your back. Hopefully, I won't have to wear the backpack anymore.

Neverending quest for the best setup. Still on that quest myself.

Gave up on the vest and still looking for the best chest pack.

I'll post a review of the chest vest when I get a chance to wear the damn thing. This wading jacket weather has to break first.

Kid

Your post sounded just like myself! I've tried them all, chest pack, the box,couldn't see were I was walking, so Im back to the vest. Every year I say Im going to lighting the load, but it never works out, I've giving up trying.

JAD,

I switched from a vest to a chest pack a few years ago and have never looked back. I have an older model Orvis hydration pack with the hydration bladder removed, and I use that rear compartment as a small backpack to carry raincoat, extras, lunch, water, etc. The most important feature to me is the split storage packs that hang to the side, not in the front. Like PaulG said, with everything up front you can’t see where you’re walking, and I’ve found it also hinders your casting and fishing because the line gets tangled on the front pouch. The chestpack has plenty of room in the backpack and side pockets for everything I carried in my vest +. It is spreads the weight across my shoulders and is far less tiring. Sandfly made a great point about balancing the weight in front and back for less fatique. There are similar chestpacks out there with the same features.

I got a chest pack from the bass pro shop a crystal river. I saw a guy on a show using one and decided I was gonna try one out. I don't think I would go back to a vest. The only thing I don't like is I had to pad the neck strap the material was rubbing my neck. It is very convenient and I can lay fly boxes on top of it like a small work station sorta.

I'm still on a quest myself, but I can't see how I can not take some of the stuff with me. My vesy probably weighs 50 pounds, but everytime I try to trim down, something is left out that I end up needing.

Getting some of the load on the hips works. I'm going to take the "drinking water" load off my back this year with a waist belt/bottle holder.

Back