Heavy Rain

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
We're really getting it here in SCPA and the heaviest precip appears to still be approaching from the south. About 1.5" in my rain gage now.

Good news is that it is downright cold - low 60s on my back porch this afternoon. We're likely to see blwon out rivers soon, but this storm system could be very good for trout streams.

What say you?

Been raining all day with no end in sight.
I say your right and it sucks because I'm dying to fish the river for smallmouth

Good soaker here. Like it. Cept I don't have many opportunities to fish the next two weeks.

I live in West Lawn Berks County and we've had steady but not heavy rain here. The prediction was for central PA, Susquehanna River area to have heavier bands than us. Still a good rain for us and it looks like we may have heavier rain tonight. Good for the fishes.

Bad for WW. This will set WW fishing back several more weeks. Great for Trout. I’ll be on a small freestoner at dawn. Want to see where and what specifically the totals are before making my decision.

Very little rain on this end of the state so far. But it's forecast to come overnight.
It's an odd weather pattern, back spinning from east to west.
Don't see that very often

Maybe .25" here in Delco. Not much yet. I do see the Corps has been dumping a substantial volume of water from Blue Marsh. I guess they wanted to make a void....? Release temps climbing quick.

dryflyguy wrote:
Very little rain on this end of the state so far. But it's forecast to come overnight.
It's an odd weather pattern, back spinning from east to west.
Don't see that very often

I believe it is a typical pattern of a nor'easter.

We needed rain for the corn, but it could've waited about 12 hours. I was at a truck pull up in Numidia and the rain killed the show before it started.

Already got 4 inches at my house in no va, another inch coming, alot of flooding in the area.

Could have fished the Schuylkill for SMB all week from Reading upstream, where it stayed clear. It was muddy from about Birdsboro down until Friday.

1.5 inches here in NW Cumberland county.

Ya and got fired too

I thought about exploring chickies this week and I'm going to sometime. I just really want to fish the river. I'm 10minutes from a world class fishery.

Still I have gotten out for largemouth and carp but work has been killer. Kids have been killer. Have the opportunity to fish the river this weekend and of cours, another monsoon.
Was like this last year for me....
Gonna sell my bass gear and take up catfishing.

Gonna swing for browns, lol last years trout season was good and it is again.

This has definitely been a fantastic warm weather season for trout. Temps aren't too bad and certainly lots of good and cold precipitation. It rained here a lot yesterday but the Juniata isn't in too bad of shape. It is definitely still fishable. Now let's see how much more rain is coming.

Advanced hydrologic prediction for the Juniata is 11.2 ft, at Lewistown, by Wednesday, which means it should fish by Labor Day at this rate.

Should have gone yesterday!

Dry as a popcorn fart in NW Pa. Crossed over the Nesshanock yesterday and it's real low.

Yeah - all that rain missed the SW part of state too.

Got 4" here in Adams County.

Took a drive around the area this morning to see what things look like: third order drainage areas have already washed out but flattened grass reveals heavy flows last night. Local streams are flooded and up in the trees. One local road was under water, which I have not seen in probably three or four years. Most floodplains were under flowing water or at least had standing pools. On a positive note, I did not see any downed trees or evidence of wind damage.

I've certainly seen the local landscape around Gettysburg looking worse, but this was a serious rain event and I'd guess that, other than mountain brookie streams which ought to be very nice later today, stream fishing will be shot for at least a few days here in and SCPA.

SC PA got the worst of it yesterday and overnight.

Precip Map PA

But, it looks like a really active rainy weather pattern for the entire state coming up this week.

The rain started in the early evening and lasted all night in the Poconos and was still raining when I decided it wasn't worth it to fish in high muddy water even though I have Monday off.

Back