Heading west - West Yellowstone

rj32s

rj32s

Hey, guys!

I'm heading west in July this summer and staying in West Yellowstone, starting to get the nervous excitement.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been there? Fly fishing, for the park, anything.

Looking for anybodys input on the area, things to do, things to avoid, just general conversation about the destination.

:)

I'll be taking a 3, 5, and 7 wt rod. I'm using Jacklin's as a guide, 1 day 1/2 float and another 1/2 day. I'd like to fish at least 4 or 5 days while I'm there.

I'm sure some will chime in with real world experience, but if you have access to the library (or just want to buy it for about 20 bucks), there is one of those Flyfisher's Guides to Yellowstone (and surrounding areas...) that I read last year. Might be a start....

I'm doing the same thing in late July! I will be staying in Bozeman for a week. Hoping to do one day guided trip on the Yellowstone or the Madison. Any tips on good guides in Bozeman?

Montana Angler on the side bar.....floated the yellowstone with Matt Morris, the owners are PA transplants, had a great time.

rj32s wrote:
Hey, guys!

I'm heading west in July this summer and staying in West Yellowstone, starting to get the nervous excitement.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been there? Fly fishing, for the park, anything.

Looking for anybodys input on the area, things to do, things to avoid, just general conversation about the destination.

:)

I'll be taking a 3, 5, and 7 wt rod. I'm using Jacklin's as a guide, 1 day 1/2 float and another 1/2 day. I'd like to fish at least 4 or 5 days while I'm there.

I have never been out there but i can tell you what our plan is for our trip. We are going for hiking more then anything else. Plan is to hike Sacagawea Peak MT, Avalanche Peak WY, Mt Washburn WY. We will do the normal stuff around Yellowstone like everyone else dose but getting out into the woods will be the main goal. Spending some time in the badlands hiking as well. Going to be an amazing two weeks out there that's for sure! Oh and fish whenever possible!!!! Ill be in all my glory after doing a day guided trip that's for sure.

Be aware of the trout protection areas - if it has an orange slash of a Cutt or Cuttbow immediate release. There are some areas (Soda Butte and Slough Creeks) where Rainbows MUST be killed. The park website has a good PDF explaining these areas and the reasons for said management. Try to hit the Yellowstone above Le Hardy Rapids in the Buffalo Ford area - a giant of a spring creek with 20 inch Cutts taking #20 BWO emergers. Some parts are subject to closure. DONT MISS SLOUGH creek! If you are fit, try hiking to the second meadow or third if you can stand hours on the trail.. Take bear spray too! Park will be miserably crowded at that time of year. Expect delays on the main roads and seek out alternative spots. North Fork of the Shoshone in Wapiti valley (out the East gate towards Cody) is a splendid stream in its own right. Lots of people drive past it on the way to the park. The usual hares ear, pheasant tail, elk hair caddis, stimulator, humpy, adams stocked fly boxes will serve you well. FISH THE RIFFLES! We don't do that much here but out there you'll be surprised how many fish live there. CUTTS fight like catfish and are cool beyond description. We expect a thorough photo report! Good luck man!

Half day floats will go by in the blink of an eye. It will seem like you spend as much time meeting up with the guide, driving to the river, etc as you do fishing.

I spent two days in the park. Be sure to go see the geysers. I really enjoyed fishing the Lamar river and slough creek when I was there. The Fishing guide book by Richard Parks was a good reference. I also had a great time fishing middle creek near the East Gate. It's an awesome small stream experience that you don't here much about.

This topic is currently being discussed in another recent thread which can be viewed here.

I spend the summer on the Yellowstone River north of the Park, and fish somewhere in that region practically every day.

Keep in mind that in normal years the spring runoff can last well into July in normal years, so that can effect your fishing opportunities depending on what time in July you plan on being there. However, this year, so far, has lower than normal snowpack on the west side of the park (Madison river drainage), so those rivers might come into shape earlier than normal, while the upper Yellowstone itself is still close to 100%.

The guys at Jacklin's will be a good source of up to date info on where to go, depending on the conditions when you get there (the Madison below Quake Lake is normally an excellent choice that time of year in the West Yellowstone area), as is Craig Matthews and the guys at the Blue Ribbon fly shop there.

As soon as the Yellowstone gets fishable in July (I think it may be fishable near the beginning of the month this year, unless there is a lot of snow the next several weeks) that is one of the best times of the year to fish it, in my opinion.

One last thing, 99% of the fishing guides take their clients fishing between the hours of 9:00am to 5:00pm, while the best fishing of the day, in my opinion, at that time of the year, is from 8:00-10:00pm. If you are going that far to fish, don't short change your chances by missing the best part of the day to catch fish.

John

fish with the rod you like and have the most confidence 6 is the best all around out there in MHO but as long as it's a 5 wieght . You catch fish there the same way you do here so , tie some hopper patterns and have fun. Don't forget to take pics.

There are a couple of books about Fly Fishing Yellowstone you'll want to have before you go.
My experience wasn't good, the place is crawling with tourists want to take your picture all day long, when I went the weather sucked, then our wonderful government in their infinite wisdom closed the National Parks. Flying into Idaho Falls is cheaper both for ht flight and rental cars, and it's close to West Yellowstone. You also go past Henrys Fork and a section of the Snake. You may want to check out a day on the Rail Road Ranch on Henrys Fork. You won't need a guide there.

Back