Heading to Montana......

W

whatdayaknow

Hi all,

I am heading to Montana for an Elk hunting trip in October. I am driving out and am considering integrating a fishing trip into my plans. Has anyone fished Montana mid October before? I am thinking Rock Creek which is in southwest MT.

Best time to fish Montana-bar none
Last two weeks sept.-first two Oct.

if you get a cloudy,overcast day spitting rain or snow you can hit days you don't dare talk about for fear of being called a LIAR.lol
Wouldn't waste time on the small creeks-Madison,Missouri,Yellowstone,Smiths River,etc...
Clear days pre dawn and sundown-big browns are in the mood for love and on the move.
Big streamers-2s and 4s

Fished and stayed on Rock Creek, great stream. Drifted Clarks Fork. Used Eric as a guide.
Can't go wrong.

http://flyfishmissoula.com/

Check out Rock Creek Anglers.
http://www.rockcreekanglers.com/

I fished Rock Creek last year. It was awesome. I would highly recommend going. I was there in Late May though. I fished it for two days during the week and barely saw another person. I was quite surprised. I heard it does get crowded during good hatches though; like the Salmon Fly hatch.

On the lower sections I caught a ton of small bows and browns. The last day I fished it I went far upstream and got into a bunch of Cutts. They eagerly took a size 12 adams parachute blind casted into pocket water.

That is my point-if you are going to be in Montana at the prime time for big trout-why not fish for big trout instead of average ones-
In Montana certain rivers are BIG trout waters.
Go to Montana Anglers website and clue in on them.

I fished Rock Creek in January 99, I did ok there so it must be pretty good during the best part of the year. I'll say this though, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE WINTER CLOTHES. It may be October, but the weather can tunr on a dime in the mountains. That region of MT though get a more mild weather pattern than east of the divide.

Rock Creek about half way up. If you go upstream you'll notice the blowdown sign from the violet downdraft that knocked out many trees.

Dan Bailey riffle on stone.

Attachments

• 772_4abf995e84b48.jpg
    772_4abf995e84b48.jpg
    660 KB · Views: 1
  • 772_4abf99c5ba590.jpg
    772_4abf99c5ba590.jpg
    720.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 772_4ac0c9835d280.jpg
    772_4ac0c9835d280.jpg
    757.5 KB · Views: 1
. If you go upstream you'll notice the blowdown sign from the violet downdraft that knocked out many trees.
Yeah,gotta watch out for the violets.LOl
If you climb the mountains in Montana you better learn where the blowdowns are[usually on the north slopes] or you will find yourself in some brutal going.
fished the hole on the yellowstone.great fall water.

I spoke to a couple of guides and am most likely going to do a float trip (I have yet to do one). The prices are quite reasonable, I was surprised. Thanks for all of the responses.

I will be out there for the last week or so of july. Thanks for the reminder!

Might have to detour to "rock crick" as don calls it.

Why drive when you can get there in a few hours by plane. The only reason I'd drive is if I had unlimited time to hunt and fish once I arrived.

It's around 4-500 round trip to billings for the end of the summer.

But if I had a huge amount of vacation time, I'd consider driving it.

You can set the cruise control and nap for a couple hundred miles.
Deadwood is a fun city-especially if you saw the series.Very accurate.

Back