Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Heading to Harmons!!

From Hershey
I've done best there with streamers. Those big fish really attack those flashy big steamers. I use 4X Flouro for the monsters there and have several different patterns. Be sure to walk to the area upstream of cabin #15. You will have a long walk or a scary wading experience to get there but its worth it.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 21:15

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
If water is not that bad, you can cross at the riffle below 15 not too bad and work upsteam.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 21:26

From Sinking Spring, PA
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
anyways, another question to those that have stayed there, what did you do for food?

When the wife and I went we just packed steaks, salmon, and other stuff we could throw on the grill. It was nice to relax at the cabin and grill there.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 23:41

From Sinking Spring, PA
Forgot to add the drive up to Dolly Sods is kinda... well... just take it easy. My wife was scared ****less and told me that we will not be making that trip again any time soon. YMMV as my driving can be aggressive at times. It's a long drive with no guard rails, at a significant altitude, steep drop-offs, one lane, not one way, lots of blind curves. Loads of fun! The views at the top are absolutely amazing. Oh yeah, watch out for the left over bombs up there.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 0:07

From harlansburg
Quote:

steveo wrote:
Forgot to add the drive up to Dolly Sods is kinda... well... just take it easy. My wife was scared ****less and told me that we will not be making that trip again any time soon. YMMV as my driving can be aggressive at times. It's a long drive with no guard rails, at a significant altitude, steep drop-offs, one lane, not one way, lots of blind curves. Loads of fun! The views at the top are absolutely amazing. Oh yeah, watch out for the left over bombs up there.

ha ha!! yeah, I've ridden the bike up there a bunch of times, and yes, the road can be a challenge at times! I'd love to stumble across one of the old bombs, take a picture, then get the hell outta there. I really like hiking around up there, feels like the top of the world. Spruce knob is another great place to visit with astounding views.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 6:29

From harlansburg
Quote:

steveo wrote:
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
anyways, another question to those that have stayed there, what did you do for food?

When the wife and I went we just packed steaks, salmon, and other stuff we could throw on the grill. It was nice to relax at the cabin and grill there.

That was pretty much our plan, I kinda know there aren't any good places to eat close by, but was hoping someone might have stumbled across a hidden gem.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 6:34

Sweet info. I am also taking the girlfriend there the second week in october. Are the grills gas or charcoal? I was expecting to pack everything--cookware, utensils, food, drinks, possibly charcoal if necessary. I hope the fishing is everything I have read it to be.

Biker, you better report back after you go!

Posted on: 2013/9/18 16:32

From Sinking Spring, PA
Quote:

pwk5017 wrote:
Sweet info. I am also taking the girlfriend there the second week in october. Are the grills gas or charcoal? I was expecting to pack everything--cookware, utensils, food, drinks, possibly charcoal if necessary. I hope the fishing is everything I have read it to be.

Biker, you better report back after you go!

We'll be down the same week. Stop by. We are in cabin 15 at the end of the road. The grills are charcoal. Bring your own. You don't have to bring cookware as the cabins have all of that. You may want to bring grilling stuff like a cleaning brush and fork.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 20:01

From South Central,PA
They have basic utensils, pots, pans, dishes etc...Pretty much everything you need but it's basic stuff. You will need charcoal if you plan to grill. Charcoal grills are the permanent 1 post campground kind. Some cabins have fire wood for fire pits provided, others dont. We brought some of our own wood but that may or may not be illegal (taking firewood across state lines)! About the upper property fishing area. You can walk or drive. We drove it with a Nissan Xterra. The road is absolutely nuts but it can be done with a 4WD vehicle. There are a few hair pin turns on steep inclines, so a reel 4WD is necessary...I wouldn't take an AWD car.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 20:07

Edited by bigslackwater on 2013/9/18 20:37:03

From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
That was pretty much our plan, I kinda know there aren't any good places to eat close by, but was hoping someone might have stumbled across a hidden gem.

I've always liked the pizza upstairs at the general store in Seneca, which I'm sure you've already stumbled across.

Or if'n you want something a bit higher brow, other side of the mtn from Harmons is the North Fork Mountain Inn on the SmokeHole side of the ridge, definitely hidden/off the beaten path... http://www.northforkmtninn.com/recipes/index.php

Posted on: 2013/9/19 9:17

From SE PA - Montgomery County
Bring all food and beer in with you. Not much around there.

Dolly Sods is a great hike. I did it a couple of years ago, the trails we took were not well marked though. It does not seem to be overly used and we got a bit lost just following a paper map we had. Maybe use GPS tracking on your phone.

Try Seneca Creek if you like little wild bows and a hike.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 14:30

From harlansburg
had a great trip, left wed afternoon, came home sunday, I added a couple days to the 2 day prize, nice mini-vacation. weather was perfect, stockies were willing, cabin was great. spent mornings and early afternoons blitzing the backroads on the motorcycle, then back to fish around 4 or so, till dark. lots of fish sitting on bottom of pools, but in the faster water, found active fish and had fun with risers every evening. I didn't bother going brookie fishing, most of the creeks were very low, too low for me to mess with them.
All in all, a really nice place, girlfriend already wants to return next year.
Thanks to Todd and the crew for donating the prize, and for running one hell of a nice operation!

Posted on: 2013/9/30 16:53

Had to resurrect this one. What licenses and stamps do I need to purchase to fish down there? I am going this sunday-tuesday. Do you really have to pay full price for the conservation and trout stamps? Seems a little steep to pay $40 to fish a private stretch of water for 2.5 days.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 11:13

From Washington
Yep. Gotta get the conservation stamp which is the most expensive of the group you have to get. You are right, all said its around $40. If you would head back, you can buy additional days and not pay for the conservation stamp again.

Posted on: 2013/10/13 18:03

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com