Headed out to Co tomorrow for 10 days

Longbow

Longbow

Will be fishing the Yampa Friday morning and then Big Thompson along with quite a few other local streams in the Steamboat area. Heard the fishing has been good. Did the same trip last year and had an awesome time. My 11 year old got himself a grand slam on the first day. Some of the best days were hiking into the Zirkle mountains and fishing for brookies. They like them big hoppers. Should be another great trip.

Good luck and enjoy! I just got the buy-in from the wife to do a Montana trip next year. I can't wait to get out West....

DanL---hint from an old Montanan [sp]
mid sept to mid oct... if you want fish worth going out there for and not just lots of fish.
Also if you aren't familiar with the big waters out there-lots of water,can be confusing-don't waste your time getting bogged down on whitefish flats.

Yampa is one of the top CO rivers for sure. The canyon section and meadow sections right below the parking lot for Stagecoach not to me missed. (and about 1/10 the crowds which pile up from the lot to the dam)

Absolutely! Thanks.

I second yampa below stagecoach...hike down the canyon for less pressured fish. Not all of the giant ones are stuck at the dam.

I just got back on Saturday night from CO.
I fished the Big Thompson in RMNP Got the grand slam as well.
Weather was great and fishing was traffic. have a good trip, TSA at Denver international had long lines for the return.

pete41 wrote:
DanL---hint from an old Montanan [sp]
mid sept to mid oct... if you want fish worth going out there for and not just lots of fish.
Also if you aren't familiar with the big waters out there-lots of water,can be confusing-don't waste your time getting bogged down on whitefish flats.

I'm going out next Sept. to Montana, Rock Creek, W. Fork Bitterroot, maybe one other stream. (Open for suggestions)

I have never been out there in the fall and I really am looking forward to it.

I will be bringing some streamers and my 7wt. I will probably add a sinking line (Just have sinking leaders at the moment for PA) but with the flows out there I feel like a fast sinking tip line would be best for stripping or a medium full sink for swinging.

Any Suggestions for the Fall? Most likely will just be walk and wade ordeal.

What does a grand slam consist of on the Big Thompson?

I will be in CO to fish for two native cutthroat next week give or take a few days. Look forward to hear about conditions in CO when you return

As for MT, in the 2-3 times I've been out in Sept it's a little early for big Browns but that just based on a few visits.

The fishing was fantastic! I caught by biggest brown on day one. Not a monster, but at 22" and chunky, he put up a long fight. never thought that I would land him as he ran me under every boulder in the hole and had a 6x tippet. Caught him on a #8 hopper. Hoppers were working well everywhere. One day, my son and I landed close to 50 rookies and lost 3 times that; all on hoppers. I even caught a fat whitefish on the Elk. They are strong. The cutthroats were really active and we did very well on them too. Hiked up in the Zirkels, where few have fished and had a blast with the brookies and cutties.
Also caught a few nice fish on the Yampa. The tricos were thick mid morning. Just a great trip. My 12 year old son had a blast and caught many fish. It was great to be with him and watch him soak up the outdoors and fight some nice fish. It was hard to leave, but I am headed to Northern BC next week for an 11 day archery backpack hunt for mountain goat and moose. The lake we will fly into has grayling. Hopefully the grizzlies leave me alone.

Longbow wrote:
The fishing was fantastic! I caught by biggest brown on day one. Not a monster, but at 22" and chunky, he put up a long fight. never thought that I would land him as he ran me under every boulder in the hole and had a 6x tippet. Caught him on a #8 hopper. Hoppers were working well everywhere. One day, my son and I landed close to 50 rookies and lost 3 times that; all on hoppers. I even caught a fat whitefish on the Elk. They are strong. The cutthroats were really active and we did very well on them too. Hiked up in the Zirkels, where few have fished and had a blast with the brookies and cutties.
Also caught a few nice fish on the Yampa. The tricos were thick mid morning. Just a great trip. My 12 year old son had a blast and caught many fish. It was great to be with him and watch him soak up the outdoors and fight some nice fish. It was hard to leave, but I am headed to Northern BC next week for an 11 day archery backpack hunt for mountain goat and moose. The lake we will fly into has grayling. Hopefully the grizzlies leave me alone.

Very nice! Any photos?

Lots of pics but they take to long to download on this site compared to others. There must be a trick in reducing size, but I can't do it quickly.

Back